Twin boomer from Germany

After I got back to building kits, I got lured by this striking boxart and bought the most horrible plastic kit I have seen in the last... er, actually ever. This.

airfixgoldie

The kit is a definite dawg. Horrible. I´m not one of those guys who can fix things like this and make the more recent Ju 88 kits pale when compared to it, when it´s done.  To be honest I don´t even have the kit anymore in my stash as a "kit"; I do have all the parts left but they are thrown in my spares box, and I thought they were there for good... before they´d be thrown in the bin! So, all you Airfix Golden Years People, look what you´ve done. It´s alive and kicking again! Fortunately I do have some spares from more modern Ju 88 kits to either replace the worst parts of this kit (all the "clear" parts that is) or avoid using them at all (dive brakes and racks) by converting it to a MTO C-4 night fighter from Sicily. For that purpose I have this decal scheme from AIMS decal sheet Ju 88 Experten: 

aimsexperten

Well the rules say the fuselage and wings should be original, and in my plan they mostly would do that. But I won´t even try to make the famous silk purse out of this; if I finish this at all, I´ll be happy. We´ll see... V-P

• Like 10

Oh my - I bought this too - straight from a bargain bin for a fiver.  Frankly I was robbed. :lol:

I took one look in the box when I got home and thought 'that will look good in the loft' - right at the back.

Seriously though I wish you every ounce of luck in the world with this one and I will be watching and cheering you on - every step of the way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I had one of these and from what I recall was impressed with it (mind you - it WAS at christmas and I think drink had been taken ;) )....

Anyhoo I got in touch with mikemx to see if a canopy mask was available and I won't repeat what he said about the kit......

@vppelt68 I'm just finishing off something very similar to your scheme but in 1/48.....so best of luck to you! 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I never built this kit but I did buy a 'red stripe' version for the stash. It can't be that bad - this is Airfix! I am having a 'meet the challenge' moment here....

• Haha 3

Nice to see you here V.P.

Don't worry about the kits failings, just build it and move on to another Airfix classic within the GB timeframe.

I'd send you a box of razor blades, however they'd be stopped through the post (... they'd be for your wrists, not the kit!).

Should be a fun one to watch.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

You know Dave, first looking at that "kit" and then trying for many years to forget what I had seen, might had lead me to choosing that paint scheme, the little Ju 88... all on its own up there against all that BLACK! I´ll get me :coat:V-P

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Did some shopping yesterday for supplies I´ll definitely need with the Ju 88. I bought a hardware store- amount of wet sanding papers (#400, #800 and #1200)... For those of you fortunate enough not to cross your paths with this kit before, here´s some eye candy for you!

2018-05-31_05-53-19

The parts are not all here, but you get the picture... 

2018-05-31_05-53-52

Landing gear bay door hinges! Trailing edge! Rivets, rivets, rivets!

2018-05-31_05-54-38

Wheel hubs! These make me want to depict the plane legs up, but I´m so scared of the thought of the unprobable fit of those gear bay doors, that I just don´t know yet :rofl2:.

Despite all this, I just can´t wait to get started! Woohoo, all I can do is to succeed if this gets finished at all, where as with a (say, Eduard Bf 110) I can just screw up a fabulous kit with my "skills"!  V-P

• Like 5

Looks like a fair bit of flash around too. I had a look at my 'red stripe' boxing of this last night and parts are crisp but the sky blue plastic feels very soft - may be due to the heat built up in the loft - hope not! The front starboard fuselage has a warp and half of each main wing too. A challenge is a challenge so I will watch this with great interest (to see what I will need to do when you have inspired me to start...). Best of luck and happy building! 

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I built this once and photographed it hanging from the washing line in the back garden. That must have been about 40 years ago; I was young then, life was simpler and I was easier to please. Looking forward to seeing what you can do with it.

Andy

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Well, V-P. Have you been progressing with the challenge posed by this Ju88 kit? I have been fondling my red stripe boxing of this one and I am beginning to appreciate why there are so many less than complimentary comments being made. I tried some dry fitting and there is a lot of trimming and sanding required to get the working parts working - and the plastic is so soft! The ailerons come in two halves but there are no locating pegs so the assembly could be well off if you weren't careful. The cockpit tub and gondola assembly to the fuselage looks very difficult. Looking forward to see how you overcome these challenges! Cheers. Mike 

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Here's what I was talking about when I said I appreciated the issues with this kit - my 'let's see what the problem is' part assembly/dry fitting pics are below. I'm sure you will overcome these on your kit and produce a classic paint job as well! 

100_2227100_2224

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi V-P. Are you ready to take up the challenge of this Ju88A-4 again?. I was admiring your Ju87 over on the Blitzbuild 2018 GB and it turned out beautifully - seemed to be an excellent quality kit. On the other hand, this one.... It's still the only Ju88 in this GB so it would be fantastic to see it finished to your usual standard. Cheers. Mike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have one of those too. I built one as a kid and was perfectly happy (blue plastic = no need to paint the bottom) but my adult build ended up as a paint mule:

582B0CE7-2B9A-4B91-A405-C1BEAAD3E4D5.jpg

It was probably doomed from the moment I cracked the fuselage trying to straighten a warp out. The joy of Ebay purchases... In all fairness, the MG15 machine guns aren't half bad. The ones from the kit above ended up being used on my (old) Airfix He111.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all for your interest and support! I shall jump on the Ju as soon as I have Finnished my build at the Brits Abroad GB. After a nice to build P-51D and a joy to build Hurricane, I believe I have gathered enough of positive modelling experience to tackle this one 😰. Though it helps that I have never ever even tried to make a silk purse out of a sow´s ear, and not this time either. Just build it. V-P

• Thanks 2

I feel your pain!

I'm a fan of out the box builds but this one pushed my chosen build style to the limits. The cockpit area is a real disaster. If it's any consolation, the FROG version is just as bad, but in different ways. I built the pair side by side a while ago and didn't exactly enjoy the experience.

Here's my Airfix build, copying the boxart colours on the first issue box. It displays OK as long as you don't get too close. A few bits have gone AWOL over the years, but are probably floating around in its storage box.

IMG_5894.jpg

• Like 11