weathering question

Bozothenutter

Doing research for my KT build.

The version i'm building was used near Königsberg in Jan 1945 (a very precise  Jan 10th is given )

I was wondering are/were any modern arour exerscises held (by the russians) in winter ever?

And would colour pictures be available of said exerscises?

I need to get a feel for the terrain / weather / cirumstances in january.

been trying, but no real info available.

that why i have been looking for modern  armour exercise pics of that month or in winter, in that area (north east Poland, south Lithuania and Kaliningrad) any year, any operator.

this should give me an idea what armour would look like.

A bit of googling and I found that temperatures in that region of East Prussia were around minus 18 degrees Centigrade in early Jan 45. So snow and frost!

Photos of population fleeing that area as Russians advanced and lots of books and videos covering the subject of the Battle for Konigsberg itself, so have a look on Youtube.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

On 6/2/2018 at 10:33 AM, Badder said:

A bit of googling and I found that temperatures in that region of East Prussia were around minus 18 degrees Centigrade in early Jan 45. So snow and frost!

Photos of population fleeing that area as Russians advanced and lots of books and videos covering the subject of the Battle for Konigsberg itself, so have a look on Youtube.

Rearguards,

Badder

where mate, i've been looking, really I have!

snow and frost then, know a good place for info on the 505 deployment?

11 minutes ago, Bozothenutter said:

where mate, i've been looking, really I have!

It was a bitter winter across most of Europe in the winter of 44-45,  but typing 'Weather report Prussia/Konigsberg Jan 1945' into a search engine gave more detailed results for that region.

I didn't save any links when I replied originally because I thought they were easy to find. Here's one I found a few minutes ago. More an account of the Russian advance, but it does refer to the weather conditions here and there. BTW, probably the eye-witness quotes aren't sutiable for younger readers.

http://uncensoredhistory.blogspot.com/2012/08/east-prussia-koenigsberg-1945-hell.html

Hope that helps.

• Like 2

.... again a search for '505 panzer abt Jan 45' will give you plenty of articles for info regarding deployment of Tiger I's and II's.

Rearguards

Badder

the Google-Fu is strong in this one...

Tanks again!

edit:

wow that uncensored history site is erm....interesting....now where did I put that alu hat of mine....

Edited by Bozothenutter
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 1:27 PM, Soeren said:

That article was disturbing.

Indeed. War isn't nice. As I said, probably not for younger viewers.