ADLIB-1, 1/144, Scratch build, Interior view.

On 6/1/2018 at 3:26 PM, Gorby said:

At least I haven't mentioned space crocodiles yet, that would be plain ridiculous.

Those are the ones without tails, right? After all, we've all heard about docking in space...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yes ... otherwise the spacesuits wouldnt fit right. 

Oh, I'm not so sure!

Space_Alligator.jpg

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, Getunderit said:

By the way, I like your avatar.

Cheers, it’s something I doodled ages ago that I use as the logo for my company (I’m a self employed engineer).  Just in case any Disney lawyers are reading this, I can state that it was not at all inspired by a super star destroyer from ROTJ that was about to crash into the Deathstar II.  I did choose the colours because they kind of looked SciFi spacesuit Mission patch (ish)

Now I look at it, it sort of reminds me of the “Event Horizon” logo from the book “Mindstar Rising” by Peter F Hamilton. Never noticed before!

Edited by The Chief Smeg
  • Like 2

Thank you @LotusArenco, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, @Gorby, @The Chief Smeg, and @GordonD for your reactions and comments.

____________________________________________________-

Last night I went through my junk pile and found a few things which will be used for a Drive (Engine) Room.

EwzF5Xf.jpg

What I normally do for building electronic circuit boards is to measure everything so I can organise where to fit all the parts. This approach works well for me in this case. As a result, I end up with a set of plans to follow.

This is still an ad-lib approach with the parts, but gets organised with where they go.

Plans for Drive Room
Ekh25Bu.jpg

KsEBgZF.jpg

Because the ship is so long, and probably need a cut lunch to walk from one end to the other, I decided to create the idea of Portal Doorways. So, to go from one compartment to any other, one simple approaches the doorway at the bulkhead, select which compartment to go to, and step through the portal.

An entry into Drive Room.
gM1vWgB.jpg

Cutaway plan for Portal Door way
giWlEdI.jpg

Feeling close to actually start building this model.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Getunderit said:

Thank you @LotusArenco, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, @Gorby, @The Chief Smeg, and @GordonD for your reactions and comments.

____________________________________________________-

Last night I went through my junk pile and found a few things which will be used for a Drive (Engine) Room.

EwzF5Xf.jpg

First photo, top left - It's the Enterprise-C!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

This looks like a grand project, we don't often see the interiors of things. Have you thought of a time period or style? The drawings and so on make me think of early imaginings of travel in our solar system.

Makes me want to dig out one of various stalled scratch builds, but they're competing for attention with figures and a couple of kits our club's building together. Never enough time!

NB: Not totally sure it's necessary to raise the whole "modellers" versus "assemblers" thing! People enjoy their hobby time in all kinds of ways, and it's up to individuals what they call themselves. In my opinion, of course :)

Cheers,

Will

• Thanks 1

@Will Vale, thanks for the advice. I do tend to call things on how I see it. It has helped me to be more realistic.

Long time ago, while riding a road bike with a friend, we were talking about training for road racing. At that time, all my rides where with friends who talked the talk, but never raced. My friend knew this. He stopped my conversation as soon as he said "The question is:  Do you want to be a pretender or a contender?" From that moment, my perspective changed. I started training with absolute purpose. Two years later I competed in the World's Masters Road Cycling Championships on the other side of the planet (Austria). What I am saying is that one must know what their reality, or truth, is before discovering their full potential. Much like 'champions think like champions'. If you don't think like champions do, you'll never become one.

Just letting you know where I come from. However, I will take your advice and leave that opinion of modellers out of the forum.

Thanks.

Edited by Getunderit
  • Like 4

Started building. But may need to stop for awhile because other work needs my attention. 

Late last night saw me working on the Particle Beam - Plasma Drive (PB-PD). Feels strange to use make-believe words.

NY2HZvz.jpg

Not sure what LEDs will eventually be used. Orange and yellow will most probably prevail due to the colours of the reflector disk.

These LEDs, into the cross-section will be placed at the transformer end.

yY2FYR9.jpg

These LEDs will be placed at the reflector end.

Experimenting with red, green, yellow, and orange LEDs.

Bottom photo uses an orange and a yellow LED.

Made an animated GIF to show what it may look like when the LEDs are made to flash (arcing style).

qVmPlW5.gif

• Like 9

Well that looks good. I just have plans for LED's sometime in the future.

I delivered some Gin yesterday which has small shiny particles in it.

When you shake the bottle they shimmer.

Who is this stuff aimed at?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Who is this stuff aimed at?

If you're referring to the gin, don't ask my. I don't drink because I like it TOO much. Hadn't had a drop in over 30 years.

If you're referring to the glitter, I hadn't noticed it until you mentioned it 😱

• Like 2

In post #20 I mentioned using the circuitry found in old digital clocks that drive seven segment displays.

zblAPtZ.jpg

There is another approach to using these displays. By rewiring the display pins in a different order, the numbers look like something an alien may use. 

cvIJWKO.jpg

The first row shows how the display is wired (segments a-g) normally.

The second row shows segments a-f relocated one segment clockwise.

Row three, all segments rewired randomly.

Note: figure '8' will always be '8' because it uses all the seven segments, regardless of configuration. To get around this, is by substituting one segment for the decimal point (dp) LED.

Then you get something like row four and five.

There are many various combinations.

• Like 3

Thank you @Pete in Lincs, @Gorby, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, @The Chief Smeg, and @harveyb258 for your reactions. It's always nice to receive them.

Continued work on the PB-PD 🙄.

fIcBrm7.jpg

TsQBCY7.jpg

I have changed the LED colours.

Above, left side, there are four LEDs: Red, Green, Blue, and White. These will be connected to a rotary switch, labelled as 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100%.

On the right side, there is four LEDs: two Orange and two Yellow. These will be connected to a toggle switch, labelled Low and High.

What that means is up to you.

The right hand side needed to be orange and yellow due to the colour of the reflectors.

On the left side, the four black tubes will be trimmed and directly connected (glued) to the main (yellow) body of the transformer - as if directly tapped into it.

Both ends of the Perspex rod will be covered in aluminium foil; mainly to shield, and contain, the LED glare within the rod. To glue the aluminium, I have ordered a special super glue, which also ought to glue those PET type plastics to polystyrene. Will report how this glue will perform. Bought the VA8312 type; see link for glues for all types of plastics. I believe this website has a host of great info for modellers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Got the glue today. Tried cementing Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) plastic to polystyrene. It sticks but not a strong as super glue is with polystyrene to polystyrene.

This is what I've found:

1. The surfaces to be bonded need to be cleaned and roughened, as with sandpaper.
  2. Glue one surface only then apply surfaces together, and hold together for a several minutes. Normally, VA8312 is a super glue that bonds quickly, but not so quickly with those plastics like PET.
  3. The bond is not that strong, especially when the bond area is small.
  4. Larger the surface area the stronger the bond. If I stuck 1/2 inch square polystyrene to 1/2 inch PET it will stick quite good, but a knife edge could pry them apart. The PET surface does not melt as well as polystyrene.
  5. VA8312 works as well as one would expect from a super glue, but it also cements so-called nonstick plastics. 

CONCLUSION: If I wanted to cement any PET type plastic to polystyrene over 1/4 square I would. BUT I would not use it in RC models where the cemented item may get knocked about. For a static display model, yes, I would, and will use it on my ADLIB-1 model.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2018 at 1:39 AM, Getunderit said:

I decided to create the idea of Portal Doorways. So, to go from one compartment to any other, one simple approaches the doorway at the bulkhead, select which compartment to go to, and step through the portal.

An entry into Drive Room.
gM1vWgB.jpg

Cutaway plan for Portal Door way
giWlEdI.jpg

Hello @Getunderit ... Had a bit of an idea that may/may not work or be to much trouble regards your portal doors. I was thinking taking photo’s of each compartment from the end as if looking through the doorway. Then gluing the photo’s in a random order in the portal openings. Thus standing in room “A” you see room “C”. In room “B” you see room “A”, and so on. It will give random but different viewpoints. It would be something to visually catch the eye if someone is really paying attention.

I also thought a good way to demonstrate one door in function is to cut a figure in half. Stepping into a doorway in room “A”. Coming out in room “D”. It might be another way to catch peoples eyes, if they see half a figure on one side of the ship and the other half some where else. Just some ideas I thought of to pass on. If you like them good, if not please ignore my ramblings. 

Dennis

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello @Getunderit ... Had a bit of an idea that may/may not work or be to much trouble regards your portal doors. I was thinking taking photo’s of each compartment from the end as if looking through the doorway. Then gluing the photo’s in a random order in the portal openings. Thus standing in room “A” you see room “C”. In room “B” you see room “A”, and so on. It will give random but different viewpoints. It would be something to visually catch the eye if someone is really paying attention....

Thank you Dennis. That is a good idea.

Like to use your idea where the person touches a keypad, next to the doorway, and they see where they are going.

Perhaps a security guy with a laser gun going to a laser shoot-out, and can see what they are about to step into.

In regards to the portal hole, I was planing to place small segments of the knitting needle sandwiched between bulkhead walls. They have a Red LED lighting the rod, indicating that the portal is currently teleporting someone. In the Red mode, I will be having half a person in, and the other half out at another location. Their coloured clothing will indicate where they went.

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello @Getunderit ...I also thought a good way to demonstrate one door in function is to cut a figure in half. Stepping into a doorway in room “A”. Coming out in room “D”. It might be another way to catch peoples eyes, if they see half a figure on one side of the ship and the other half some where else. Just some ideas I thought of to pass on. If you like them good, if not please ignore my ramblings.

Thanks, got that one planned. That is why I drew (top left) half a person entering and its other half exiting. The gap in between shows part of that rod with particles in it. In this case, that rod segment would be lit Red as if blood was part of the particles. One may imagine that any other colour would mean alien. ACTUALLY, just thinking now, I will add an alien entering a portal which lights a different colour, such as Green or Purple.

Thanks for the idea and inspiration.

Edited by Getunderit
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Getunderit said:

That is why I drew (top left) half a person entering and its other half exiting.

Please use any idea with my blessing. I should have looked at the drawing closer i didn't see the 1/2 person on each side of the divide

• Thanks 1

Thank you @Pete in Lincs, @Learstang, @Gorby, and @Corsairfoxfouruncle for your responses and support.

Propulsion Room drawing updated.

RiIhAOP.jpg

Had to cover the fan's wiring and trench. Used 2 mm card and acrylic paint.
Drilled hole into PET plastic nipple. This is for a 5 mm LED. The lid actually locks down on the LED. No glue here. Easy access to this LED, if need to.

vsKtYao.jpg

Used a new glue (Weicon VA 8312) for attaching PET plastic to polystyrene (I think). It worked well.
Used a 90 mm PVC End Cap for hiding fan's exterior brackets.

JLh6KOr.jpg

Here, the fan is operating. I was surprised that I could not hear it. 
With different viewing angles one can see all black or all yellow reflector.

MSJ6EFQ.jpg

This is not all. I am still waiting for a LED strip which will be fitted between reflector and fan. 
Future update on this will show it with the LEDs on. Be interesting to see how it will look.

eOZqCU2.jpg

• Like 6