ADLIB-1, 1/144, Scratch build, Interior view.

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I see your Double WOW and raise it to a “D**n thats impressive.”

Not convinced an 'impressive' trumps a 'double-wow!' even with an expletive attached. There isn't even any exclamation mark!

Novice.

I win. :tease:

(Not that it's a competition of course).:innocent:

• Haha 2

On 07/06/2018 at 12:58, Getunderit said:

In post #20 I mentioned using the circuitry found in old digital clocks that drive seven segment displays.

zblAPtZ.jpg

There is another approach to using these displays. By rewiring the display pins in a different order, the numbers look like something an alien may use. 

cvIJWKO.jpg

The first row shows how the display is wired (segments a-g) normally.

The second row shows segments a-f relocated one segment clockwise.

Row three, all segments rewired randomly.

Note: figure '8' will always be '8' because it uses all the seven segments, regardless of configuration. To get around this, is by substituting one segment for the decimal point (dp) LED.

Then you get something like row four and five.

There are many various combinations.

Thank you for sharing this idea, I will use some sort of this solution to get my IP's to flash on the bridge on my build (when I ever get that far I mean ;)

• Thanks 1

Thank you @Jaktis for your response. Your model is very inspiring. Glad we can help each other. Thanks @The Chief Smeg, @Pete in Lincs, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, and @Gorby for your 'likes'. You guys made me laugh :lol:.

Not much to report today.

Played around with the optics created by the Perspex rod.

May use this to impart the idea of electromagnetic waveform within the particle beam.

If so, I will make a slide holder behind the rod so other illustrations can be inversely seen through the rod.

OlPt5Qq.jpg

• Like 4

On 06/06/2018 at 07:39, Getunderit said:

An entry into Drive Room.
gM1vWgB.jpg

I've read through this and still have no idea what's going on :dunce: I do however have one very important question.  Why is that man's bottom buried in the wall? :clown:

• Haha 6

9 hours ago, Getunderit said:

If so, I will make a slide holder behind the rod so other illustrations can be inversely seen through the rod.

OlPt5Qq.jpg

Not sure I fully follow your thinking so I could be all wrong here in my reply. But couldn't you make the illustration on a rotating rod and thus make it change? Perhaps it get's too complicated to achieve but it would be cool. 😎

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jaktis said:

Not sure I fully follow your thinking so I could be all wrong here in my reply. But couldn't you make the illustration on a rotating rod and thus make it change? Perhaps it get's too complicated to achieve but it would be cool. 😎

Thanks for your question. The display will be simple and static. What moves is the observer. As they look closer they will notice a slight change of pattern through the rod. Their curiosity will have them moving their eyes/head slightly to see more changes in the display. To get an idea of what I mean, use a clear Biro barrel over some printed matter and slightly change your viewing angle, or roll the barrel.

All this is nothing spectacular, it's just an added novelty.

• Like 1

Thank you @Jaktis, @Mike, @The Chief Smeg, @rockpopandchips, @Pete in Lincs, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, and @Gorby for recent supportive 👍 and comments.

As promised, I would show updates when the LED strip arrives. It arrived this afternoon.

A had some with connecting the strip. I did not realize that this type of LED strip required the leads to be wired 'through' the soldering tabs. The strip had double-sided tracks. No wonder it would not work on the first instance.

Placed the strip between PVC pipe and edge of reflector. This assisted in lighting up the reflector, as opposed to a light reflecting off the surface.

gE2N2cH.jpg

It was too bright for my liking. To dim it down a bit I soldered a resistor on the +pos lead. I used a 100 ohm 2 watt resistor. This worked well. The wattage rating had no trouble handling the 15 LEDs. Got the fan working in these shots.

PSvCi5L.jpg

The light from the LEDs easily showed through the 1 mm polystyrene sheet (bulkhead). I like the effect. It gives that sense of power within the Drive / Propulsion Compartment. At night, it lights the area quite well. The bottom photo shows how bright it gets at full strength lighting (without the resistor).

8fxlxD0.jpg

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, rockpopandchips said:

The lighting effect through the bulkhead looks great, think it looks much better with the resistor in place. Now if those LED`s span around, that would take it to another level.............😎

Good idea. Unfortunately I have already glued everything in place.

There are 15 LEDs, (5 sets of three LEDs). A LED chaser usually requires 3 sets of n LEDs, which this LED strip does not allow. Instead of every third LED running around we would have three LEDs in line running around on its own. It would still look cool at a higher rate of rotation, but not as cool as the traditional LED chaser circuit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Getunderit said:

Good idea. Unfortunately I have already glued everything in place.

There are 15 LEDs, (5 sets of three LEDs). A LED chaser usually requires 3 sets of n LEDs, which this LED strip does not allow. Instead of every third LED running around we would have three LEDs in line running around on its own. It would still look cool at a higher rate of rotation, but not as cool as the traditional LED chaser circuit.

I will take your word for as I have no idea what it all means, I struggle just to get 3 or 4 single LED`s to light in any of my attempts so far.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

I will take your word for as I have no idea what it all means, I struggle just to get 3 or 4 single LED`s to light in any of my attempts so far.

Sorry.

I know what you mean. When I was a teenager my best friend studied to become a radio technician. He tried to explain things to me but I got lost all the time. But I was fascinated enough to eventually get technical training to grasp it. What I learnt is that without the education of basic electricity and physics, it's impossible to start grasping electronics. Besides, microcontrollers (PIC) rule the shop these days, and nobody really needs to know electronics, but do need to know programming. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Getunderit said:

Spent a few hours building furniture _ six chairs and a console table.

XpTDd9h.jpg

W1XkdeX.jpg

Hey I recognise this set, it’s IKEA Bläckfisk, custom design for interstellar Späce Squids :D 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Jaktis said:

Hey I recognise this set, it’s IKEA Bläckfisk, custom design for interstellar Späce Squids :D 🤣

:lol:, @Gorby would have liked that. If I knew about it earlier I could have saved myself from making 5 extra seats (just kidding).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you @Gorby, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, @rockpopandchips, and @Jaktis for your 👍

Played around with the console instrumentation. I have to admit, I had lots of fun.

Tried to illustrate instruments on card and paper, but photographic paper worked best. Will try the gloss type later.

The following photo should explain how I went about it.

KdhAUpV.jpg

The original view point is not blown up like here. So at normal vision, it doesn't look so rough.

• Like 9

There is something in the water on this site at the moment as there is some serious micro surgery going on in a few threads. Looks great and I'm amazed that anyone can work with things so small and make a decent job of it. These days I'm struggling even with an optivisor and even though I can't see the parts in front of me  I'm using lenses so thick I can see the future lol

Pete

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Brundledonk said:

...These days I'm struggling even with an optivisor and even though I can't see the parts in front of me  I'm using lenses so thick I can see the future lol

Pete

Thanks Pete. I can relate.

I wear glasses now to see things on my desk. Recently bought clip-on magnifiers at x 1.5 to see those small 1/144 and 1/150 figurines. There is not much more one can do about the visual. But there is another problem which can be overcome, and that is to have a steady hand. At first, fear got me to be tense with the fine paintbrush. No matter how hard I tried my lines were wriggly (and still is at times). It is trying that stuffs me up. Trying is like struggling with indecision/doubt, my hand does not know which way to go. Then I had to learn to relax. Accept stuff ups. I often say to myself "Oh well, if I stuff it up and can always paint over it." That often relaxes me, and then I can do a reasonable job of it.

• Like 2

Thank you @Corsairfoxfouruncle, @oileanach, @The Chief Smeg, @Brundledonk, @harveyb258, @Gorby, @Jaktis, and @rockpopandchips for your 👍.

Not much to report today. Have been busy cleaning the abode. Came across a pair of scratched polarized sunglasses (found on beach a few years ago). Decided to use them as a window for the ADLIB-1. Will attach one lens to an RC type servo for rotation purposes. Have the amount of polarization automatically change according to whatever sensor I use (light, Infrared, or ultrasonic).

Both lenses will mostly be hidden within he vessel's shell. What will be shown is a portion of both lenses (the window). The rotating lens will be the bottom lens. In effect, it should not be noticeable that two lenses are used and one is rotating.

wJlChpm.jpg

6KAH2oF.jpg

• Like 6

On 6/22/2018 at 4:27 AM, S5 modeller said:

That's a cool idea with the sunglasses. Some serious out of the box thinking going on here. Loving what you've done so far. 

Matt

Thank you Matt

Edited by Getunderit

Playing around with the Propulsion Room (PR). The compartment's name gets changed all the time. Perhaps this means I don't have a clue what I am doing.

Used yellow card folder for making stripes. Painted the circuit board side of the transformer. This will be part of the upper deck floor.

3ec6qOi.jpg

Done something similar on the PR floor.

kL1xTWG.jpg

Getting the console furniture, and personnel ready.

IKuxygw.jpg

• Like 3