ADLIB-1, 1/144, Scratch build, Interior view.

I am about to take the plunge into absolute scratch building. Sci-Fi seems to be the ideal starting place for this, since there really is no reality to base anything on. You can stuff it up and nobody would be the wiser.

Anyway, I prefer pure creativity over assembling something someone else modeled. Most modelers are assemblers. The only time they actually model is when they add or alter something, or paint the model. In effect, they build to paint, for that is when their creativity is unleashed. Personally, I do not think I could complete a model kit without changing and adding things. What I am saying, I feel that Sci-Fi modelling will suit me above any other modelling genre. But we will see about that in due course.

Looked around in the garage for a basic shell to work from. Found a piece of PVC pipe. Just the ideal size too for a big ship. The only reason I chose 1/144 scale is due to plastic figurines I already have. So, humans will be operating this space ship.

What sort of ship? Recently I build a buoy tender, and had much fun with it. So, why not a space buoy tender. One that goes out replacing, installing and servicing space markers, sentry posts, probes, etc. It ought to be a ship most would not have considered building.

I like dioramas. So this model will be a diorama of sorts. I am not sure about the space available for an exterior diorama. However, there will be a diorama for the interior of the ship. I plan to include a cross-section to reveal its operations. So, it's going to be a reasonably large and detailed sort of ship. It will take a long time to build, especially since I already have other commitments eating into my spare time. So don't be surprised if my posts become sporadic.

The basic/central structural shell:

LIxO1S0.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Although it’s been a while since I scratch built something, I still use Sci-Fi modelling to let off a bit of steam. At the moment my Sci-Fi modelling has all but overtaken my ‘normal’ modelling.

Unfortunately for me, I end up watching Japanese robot cartoons just to get the colours right, and spending hours researching the various panels and landing gear on the Millennium Falcon!  Totally ruining the ‘let your hair down’ ‘have some fun’ aspect of the genre.:lol:

Crack on mate, and enjoy yourself.

Mart

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/31/2018 at 3:15 AM, LotusArenco said:

Although it’s been a while since I scratch built something, I still use Sci-Fi modelling to let off a bit of steam. At the moment my Sci-Fi modelling has all but overtaken my ‘normal’ modelling.

Unfortunately for me, I end up watching Japanese robot cartoons just to get the colours right, and spending hours researching the various panels and landing gear on the Millennium Falcon!  Totally ruining the ‘let your hair down’ ‘have some fun’ aspect of the genre.:lol:

Crack on mate, and enjoy yourself.

Mart

Hello Mart.

Um, I am still going to do some research, mainly for imagination food, and inspiring the quirky part of me. Will still be doing detail work as well. So all these aspects are somewhat controlled. The rest will be in terms of whatever I think is cool to add on next.

Edited by Getunderit

I have to have some sort of initial framework. That is, a space ship with a shell and compartments. The compartments will be modules of ad-lib constructions. So far I have the main shell. What gets attached to that will arise when it comes to mind. Much will depend on what the modules will consist of. For example, a buoy storage module will need to have a docking area for dispersal. So an opening is required on the outside of the ship, depending on size and location of the storage module. Also, each main module may have several floors, and each floor a different compartment.

Okay, so far I have an idea of the module side profile. From this, an idea of what the side profile of the display may look like.

qXC4Jpm.png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Getunderit said:

some research, mainly for imagination food

One of my favourite places to go for inspiration and research is ‘deviantart’.

Don’t let the name put you off, there are some incredibly talented artists on there who deserve higher recognition.

https://www.deviantart.com/popular-all-time/?q=spaceship&offset=0

Mart

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very interesting idea Pete.

That will be a big area for a cutaway of a spaceship at that this scale, so you're going to have a lot of work to do to fill it.

I'm particularly looking forward to the space squid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, LotusArenco said:

One of my favourite places to go for inspiration and research is ‘deviantart’.

Don’t let the name put you off, there are some incredibly talented artists on there who deserve higher recognition.

https://www.deviantart.com/popular-all-time/?q=spaceship&offset=0

Mart

Thanks Mart. Interesting space vehicles on deviantart. Reminds me of, but nowhere near as amazing as Chris Foss, In the 1960s-1970s I collected paperback sci-fi novels, not to read, but to collect Chris Foss art.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gorby said:

I'm particularly looking forward to the space squid.

A space squid?!

Living in a giant calamari ring space station.

Can you imagine the squid with a space helmet. Just upset it and it will have an instant blackout.

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, Getunderit said:

Hell Mart.

Um, I am still going to do some research, mainly for imagination food, and inspiring the quirky part of me. Will still be doing detail work as well. So all these aspects are somewhat controlled. The rest will be in terms of whatever I think is cool to add on next.

An intriguing project, I'm going to be watching with interest.

I'm curious what kind of finish you are thinking about: will it be very white and "high tech" or are you aiming for a more steam punk feel ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Getunderit said:

Obviously you have heard about the Reptilians?

Oh no, Not David Icke.

I must have sent those brain cells to the firing squad in a futile attempt to forget about Reptilians. When he started his career as chief nut-job, he was often introduced on the telly as the 'Ex-Coventry City goalkeeper', and an entire city cringed with embarrassment. The most worrying thing about that Wiki article is 4% of Americans believe him – that's about 13 million!

Maybe not a space crocodile then.

I'm off to 'Skeptiod' to see what they have to say about about Reptilian's.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Richard E said:

An intriguing project, I'm going to be watching with interest.

I'm curious what kind of finish you are thinking about: will it be very white and "high tech" or are you aiming for a more steam punk feel ?

Hoping not to fall for Steampunk. What I am really attracted to will undoubtedly become revealed in this model, and it's not hardcore Steampunk. It's, it's, . . me.

Not sure about it's finish. More than likely to be painted. I have a strange attraction to colour. If I was a painter I would be considered a colourist.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Getunderit said:

Chris Foss

A wonderful artist, certainly one of the best. I’m sure I’ve got an early copy of one his spacecraft art books knocking around somewhere. I believe we have him to thank for helping design the iconic ‘Nostromo’ from Alien?

I’ve always preferred my spacecraft to be believable (hard Sci-Fi?). The classic 1999 Eagle Transporter is hard to beat in credibility, and the various craft in ‘Aliens’ always tick the right boxes for me.

(However, I’m still a big fan of ‘giant big massive stonking great battle robots’ impractical as they are.:blush:)

Mart

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, LotusArenco said:

...The classic 1999 Eagle Transporter is hard to beat in credibility, and the various craft in ‘Aliens’ always tick the right boxes for me...

They are hard to beat.

I have a feeling that ABLIB-1 will be a combination of child-play, altered objects, peepshow, box art, and architecture. So it may not tick the right boxes for you. Hopefully it may create new boxes to tick.

• Like 3

Thank you @Jaktis for following. Thank you @LotusArenco. @Pete in Lincs, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, @Gorby, @Richard E, @rockpopandchips, @The Chief Smeg and @bootneck for visiting this thread and your reactions. Much appreciated.

Still in the planning stages with what stuff I already have - and where to put it; also stuff I need to order.

Will have a docking platform on top of tube, for visitors and re-supply vessels (I imagine). Going to use LEDs for lighting the area. Also the platform will be lid internally as a homing-in and other sensory displays.

Have made numerous notes and sketches. These ones show what I plan to do with the docking platform:

zblAPtZ.jpg

The seven (LED) segment display uses electronics to indicate the numbers 0-9. The electronics does not have to use these displays, but can be used for any LEDs. This is a way to create a sort of random appearing LED displays. The more LEDs the more random it will look (I am hoping). The table above shows which LED is turned on, and how often. LED 'e' is 'on' and 'off' 4 times through a 0-9 count. It flashes the most times. In comparison, LED 'c' is 'on' most of the time, and flashes only once. Having these LEDs dispersed under the platform ought to indicate flashing shapes in a seemingly random display. Again, I am hoping this will appear that way.

754SY5m.jpg

The thin cross will be made from orange rectangular LEDs. At the centre is a white round LED. This is a sequential display starting from the outside and stepping through each LED to the centre, and repeating the sequence. The white LED is the last LED on each cycle. This is the homing-in display.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Excellent ... Reminds me of so many Sci-Fi movies.  

Same here my friend. It's pretty hard not to be influenced by previous genius modellers/designers.

As a youngster, I was deeply impressed by such things. I remember seeing Star Wars when it first came out. I could not believe what I was watching. It ways way passed the WOW factor. As I walked out of the cinema I did a u-turn and went back in to watch it again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Chief Smeg said:

I’m going to enjoy watching the build of the lighted landing platform

Me too. Thanks for your interest. But I won't be able to start on it for a about a month. I ordered some stuff for building it, and it takes about a month to receive from China.

So please be patient. But in the meantime I will be working on other bits.

By the way, I like your avatar.

I did not mention the measurements, the whole platform will only be 110 mm square. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Getunderit said:

As a youngster, I was deeply impressed by such things. I remember seeing Star Wars when it first came out. I could not believe what I was watching. It ways way passed the WOW factor. As I walked out of the cinema I did a u-turn and went back in to watch it again.

The Funny thing about Star wars. My mother and my Grand uncle took me kicking and screaming to see it I didnt want to go. I made my mom take me back the very next day because i was hooked. I was so hooked that Ive worn out two VHS & one DVD of the original movie. 

I have seen the first Star Wars 975 times now. I am trying to figure out what i will do for my 1000th viewing. As for the others there all very much the same. The Emp. Strikes back at last count 710, R.o.J. @ 625 and counting. The Prequels are slower The Phantom menace is at 200. Attack of the clones is just shy of 240. The Revenge of the Sith is at 225. The Force Awakens is at 25. The Last Jedi at 4. Rogue one is @ 12 so far. Solo I havent had a chance to see yet. Yes Im a GEEK and im Damn proud of that. Dont ask me about the Star trek stuff please. I've lost count as to how many times, with all the T.V. Shows & Movies.  

Dennis

• Haha 2