Port Jackson Schooner - The Mercury

Hello, I am a new member to the forum and I was asked to add some pictures of my work. The following pictures are a “plank on frame” kit of the Port Jackson Schooner called The Mercury. The kit comes from Modellers Central in New South Wales, Australia who have a series of Australian themed kits along with their imported kits.

This was my first wooden boat kit and I’m quite pleased with the way that it turned out. It took my a period of 12 years but that included lots of work and family commitments. Now that I have retired I’m hoping the my next boat, Cook’s Endeavour won’t take so long.

Any constructive comments are welcome.

Port Jackson Schooner

Port Jackson Schooner

Port Jackson Schooner

Port Jackson Schooner

• Like 32

46 minutes ago, Norman said:

Lovely work mate Well done indeed

Thanks Norman, I appreciate your comment.

25 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Really, really beautiful & wonderfully well done. 👍

Steve.

Thanks Steve

• Like 1

8 hours ago, longshanks said:

What a little cracker, love it!

I hope you'll do a work in progress on your next boat

Kev

Thanks Kev, I’m keeping a better record of the current build, I’m recording the hours taken rather than “elapsed time” and I’ve started taking pictures at each significant stage.

Do forum members do one “running” topic for a build in progress or do they post a separate topic each time?

2 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Very nice a brilliant rendition of beautiful looking ship 👍🏻

beefy

Thanks Beefy

Hi Ian most of the BM around here start a new topic of a build log and post there progress in the same thread along the way in the WIP section 

HTH

beefy

1 hour ago, Ian T said:

Do forum members do one “running” topic for a build in progress or do they post a separate topic each time?

I agree with beefy66, Start a new post with the type / name of boat as a title. The tags can be used to add things like scale, wooden etc..

If you've got any questions you want to ask off line so to speak, you can always send a PM (Personal Message). Click on the envelope top right of the screen. Compose new. Name - enter forum name i.e beefy66 of longshanks and away you go.

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs

Kev

Thanks Kev and Beefy, that’s all good, I’ve had the Endeavour on the back burner for a while. I left it in my shed overnight and the heat/humidity of a Queensland summer sprang a few of the bottom layer of planks off. So I put it aside until the cooler weather, but we’ve been cooler for a couple of months now, so I need to get back to it. I also need to remember to bring it indoors each day when I’ve finished!!

5 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Hi Ian,

Congratulations on a great result- there’s a real renaissance of wooden model building on these pages right now and it’s great to see yet another example!

Thanks Steve, I’ll take a look at the forum for other wooden kits. I have seen some wonderful examples of wooden ships since I started and I pleased to hear that others on this forum are carrying on the good work.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
5 hours ago, colin said:

That looks superb, thats true miniture model making

Thanks Colin, it was very satisfying to build, even if it did take a long, long time.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, lars_opland said:

That is beautiful, Ian,

Do you have a date of construction for the original design, where used, etc.? It reminds me of an American schooner, pre-Revolutionary War.

Cheers, -Lars

Hi Lars, I think that the information from the kit manufacturer (Modellers Central) is the best available, so I’ve copied the link below. But I think that I still have the instruction book somewhere, if I find it I’ll copy any relevant information for you, but I expect that it only repeats the website. Here is the link -

https://www.modelerscentral.com/ship-model-kits/modellers-shipyard/colonial-schooner-port-jackson-1803/

Modellers Central have a good range of Australian themed kits, which are probably of a very similar historical period to early American, but I am happy for any American history enthusiasts to correct me.

Regards Ian

42 minutes ago, Spad57 said:

Ian,

I'm in awe my friend. Outstanding project and one I hope to see more like this beauty. Well Done and Congratulations!

Highest Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Hi Gregory, thanks for your kind comments, I really appreciate that. I currently have the very early stages of Cook’s Endeavour in the “in progress” section of the forum if you want to have a look, but it’s a long way to go yet!!

Regards Ian

• 5 months later...