Donald Peterson RIP

GordonD

Unnoticed because of the coverage of Alan Bean's death, we actually lost a second astronaut at the weekend. Donald Peterson died on Sunday. He was selected for the Manned Orbiting Laboratory but when that programme was cancelled he transferred to NASA and eventually flew on STS-6 in 1983.

37 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

The Shuttle era astronautrs, with the odd exception, are generally unknown - unless you are an ubderspaceflight geek. 

And proud of it!

(Would I post every day for a whole year listing astronauts whose birthday is that day if I wasn't?)

• Like 1

I'd count myself in the space geek camp too. It became difficult to keep up with individual astrtonauts once the SDhuttle missions got into their stride and started carrying larger crews.

1 hour ago, Eric Mc said:

I'd count myself in the space geek camp too. It became difficult to keep up with individual astrtonauts once the SDhuttle missions got into their stride and started carrying larger crews.

Think what it would have been like if the Shuttle had achieved its goal of a flight every two weeks...

And no doubt at some point there will be lots more people flying above the Karman line at l;east and going into orbit, so noting each and every "astronaut" will become as relevant as listing every trans Atlantic air traveller.