Brunhilde

"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned"

"Nor Hell a fury like a woman scorned"

In Norse/Germanic mythology, Brunhilde was either the Queen of Iceland who was cruelly deceived by her lover, Siegfried; or she was a Valkyrie who angered Odin. I prefer the former.

There's several variations on the legend in any case, depending on whether you're reading a book, listening to Wagner's ring cycle, or watching the 2004 German TV movie, Dark Kingdom: The Dragon King.

It's available on DVD in the UK under an alternative title, Sword of Xanten.

I highly recommend the movie -- and actress Kristanna Loken's performance of Brunhilde is stunning, err, in more ways than one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sword-Xanten-DVD-Benno-Fürmann/dp/B004L53AS4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527650192&sr=8-1&keywords=sword+of+xanten

Here's my version, (all figures are white metal kits from Pegaso, Alexandros, Andrea, Seil Models, etc.)........

a

b

c

d

e

f

g

h

i

j

Edited by Cadman
added a comment
  • Like 16

38 minutes ago, Gorby said:

WOW!

Stunning painting. You painted tartan!

Are the banners and sheilds painted, printed or decal?

All the banners and shields are painted.

Edited by Cadman

1 minute ago, bhouse said:

Astonishing! What scale are they?

Scales are 1:24 and 1:32, sizes are 75mm and 54mm.

The forced perspective works pretty well in some shots. Doesn't work at all in other shots though.

On 5/31/2018 at 5:54 PM, bhouse said:

You're having us on. 1:12 at least, surely? 😉

Err, well, okay then, it's a Fair Cop Guv'nor....they're all 1:1 scale.....cos it's really just a few snaps of some of my mates when they rolled out the pub last weekend.

😊

Glad you and a few other members here seem to have enjoyed the small diorama though.

Cheers

Took one of the banners out so it wouldn't get in the way of a few more photos that I shot this morning.

Cheers

c800

d800

e800

f800

g800

h800

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Superb again. Beautiful paintwork and those eyes, wow! I envy the patience you must have along with your skills.

Most model hobby acrylic paints are pretty good; Vallejo, Scale75, Games Workshop, Reaper, Lifecolor, etc. I use several paints from all five of these paint mfrs. However, my personal favorites are from Andrea.

Of course, a bit of practice helps as well.

Oh, and brushes. I think I've tried all the better known brands; some are good, some are excellent, and some were not as good as hoped for. End of the day? I just can't see past W&N Series 7. Expensive? Well, yes they are, but they're definitely the best hobby paintbrushes I've ever used for fine detail and given normal care they'll last for many years of use.

End of inadvertent sales pitch. It's absolutely true though.