737-300 in WestPac Colorado Springs livery

Hi
Let me show you my other 737 STGB build. Similar to the Simpson's jet elsewhere in this RFI this is one of the exquisite little Daco kits - as I mentioned, the kit only includes a generic sheet with a huge range of stencils, windows, door outlines etc so one needs to provide the livery from another source and I chose another of Daco's own sheets for a WestPac aircraft. WestPac operated for only 3 years in the late 1990s and decorated their aircraft with huge logo-style liveries. They were based in Colorado and the jet I chose here was liveried up to promote Colorado Springs with a striking representation of the local scenery across the rear fuselage and tail. Unlike the Simpsons sheet, this one was an absolute pig that fought me every inch of the way (maybe it was an older generation sheet?). Yes, it is superbly engineered to fit the kit (14 individual items go together to create that scenery down back!) but the decals, albeit thin, are incredibly stiff and unyielding. Much use of various setting solutions (inc Daco Medium and Strong solutions) and repeated application of the hairdryer finally saw the decals settle down and, being thin, actually settled quite nicely into the fine engraved surface detail. 
The painting is undemanding with a simple white fuselage, for which I used Zero Paints Brilliant White and Pre-mix Lacquer. For the flying surfaces I used Halfords Racking Grey rattle can which the airliner regulars in the STGB recommended as an excellent match for Boeing Grey. Everything else is  decal, including all windows.
Really enjoyed the build and I can see a couple more of these in my future before the WestPac 737 itch is finally scratched!
Anyway, here she is - hope you enjoy looking as much as I enjoyed building (except those darned decals!). C+C welcome in equal measure.

40129134360_f59d80a1b6_k.jpg

27418710297_2b59d510cb_k.jpg

40482052990_4eaa1d19fe_k.jpg

28413442818_80c23cbecb_k.jpg

Thanks for looking and also to the STGB for the support and advice.
ATB
Rick

• Like 17

Sweet work!

If you're like me, you probably cursed the leading edge decals too; trying to get them to lie down without any wrinkles was a proper PITA, and Microsol melted one of them (though I had spares).

Alas, my 737 fell prey to Emilio the Psycho Kitten. I really ought to have another crack at one in those markings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/30/2018 at 12:37 AM, Steve Coombs said:

Sweet work!

If you're like me, you probably cursed the leading edge decals too; trying to get them to lie down without any wrinkles was a proper PITA, and Microsol melted one of them (though I had spares).

Alas, my 737 fell prey to Emilio the Psycho Kitten. I really ought to have another crack at one in those markings.

Thanks Steve

TBH the wing ones went on a dream, the tail planes a bit more of a challenge as they were a little prone to cracking/splitting. The fin ones were a bit of a handful on both kits.

I wish you well with your next one and hope Emilio stays away!