Old, but very new.

KelT

Hi all, I'm Kel and I'm very new to all this.

I have just completed my first model ever and have been staring nervously at the box of my second. Limited tools and minimal equipment are my biggest hurdle while the tons and tons of useful information and shared builds on BM are my inspiration. I needed to register just to thank you all for helping me so much already. I am really enjoying myself so far - with the exception of the rigging on my last endeavour - but find it to be a solitary sport and I want to share my enjoyment.

As I blunder away I often reflect on how jealous you all should be as I smell that freshly exposed plastic, marvel at the colourful instructions and stick myself to various items in the room for the first time. Copper paint is my new nemesis, no matter how careful I am it just seems to transfer itself onto every unlikely surface, I found some on a dinner plate yesterday.

I'm looking forward to being a part of BM and having you tear your hair in frustration as I turn yet another plastic wonder into a huge blob with bits of carpet stuck to it..

On that point, a question, can anyone post in the "Work in Progress" threads or is it just for those who have skills to share? Okay two questions, - there are likely to be many more - the same question but for the "Ready For Inspection" threads.

• Like 3

Welcome - WIP and RFI (indeed everything apart from Sales) are open to all, no need to feel like you have to pass an acceptance ritual! Work in progress threads can often be a great source of information and guidance for new techniques etc. There is a vast range of abilities on here and just about every type of paint, material and subject. Ask questions and have fun building. 

• Like 1

As @Parabat has already said - anyone can post work in progress or finished models. I’m not anywhere like the same level of many modellers on the site but always found people interested to watch and offer help/advice. More than once I’ve been rescued by spare parts or decals offered by another user who has looked in on a build. 

Hello Kel ... :welcome: to the Forum from Chicago USA. I envy you for that brand new to hobby enjoyment. As others have said the WIP & RFI Areas are open to one and all. The sales section is open after 100 posts, So not that long to wait. Im always happy to help new people to modeling just ask by flagging me like this @Corsairfoxfouruncle ... This will get my attention. If i can help you I will. I've been building since 1979 with a 10 year hiatus from 2005-2014. 

My best piece of advice is this try only one new technique, skill, or a/market with each new kit. You will build your skills quicker and are less likely to get frustrated. I cannot stress this enough. When you build ..build only for yourself ! Never for what you think you need to please fellow members or others ?  A good standard is can i enjoy looking at this tomorrow ? In a week ? A year ? If yes then you should be happy. If you have questions ask them in the specific chat area associated with your subject. 

Dennis

Thank you for the welcomes and the answers to my questions I will put something together for the RFI thread and overcome my hesitation to make a start on my second model for a WIP thread.

Great advice about taking one thing at a time Corsairfoxfouruncle unfortunately it's not in my nature, I only wish it were, I tend to leap full on into everything at once but the building for myself rather than others is something I understand and will certainly take on-board.

I was finding your point about; "A good standard is can i enjoy looking at this tomorrow ? In a week ? A year ?" quite a challenge with my first model as I didn't really want the finished product, the kit was a wonderful Christmas present. I really enjoyed most of the build but towards the end when it came to all the fiddly stuff, since I wasn't interested in the subject of the build, I found motivation a problem. With some prodding from my wife and a commitment not to start anything else until it was done I eventually overcame. Now I am choosing my own subjects though and I am facing a different type of challenge altogether, still, any challenge is a good and welcome one.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KelT said:

towards the end when it came to all the fiddly stuff, since I wasn't interested in the subject of the build, I found motivation a problem

Hello KelT In cases where you lose motivation you can in the future shelve the kit until your interest returns. This is also good if you encounter an issue your skills aren't ready for. Thats why we have stashes. 😉 Personally i have 2-3 kits going so i always have something to work on. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle