Lockheed 10 Electra Earhart, Special Hobby conversion, 1/72

A smaller, more accurate pelorus is made:

IMG_5276+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The legs are drilled to be able to accept an axle:

IMG_5277+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The retraction mechanism seen in photos of Amelia's plane is added to replace the kit's hydraulic jack. Two lateral small parts still need to be put in place:

IMG_5278+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Edited by Moa
to correct typo
  • Like 9

The Mattel Psychedelic Machine is used to pull a copy of the nose hatch. To take advantage of these extremely scarce sheets I included some other parts:

image1+%25281280x1009%2529.jpg

IMG_5279+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Nose hatch ready with the holes for the lights:

IMG_5280+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Other details are added, like bulkheads, radio, a small strip of instruments close to the navigator window, etc.:

IMG_5281+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

What will be seen of all this?

Close to nothing, in spite of the opened door and the perhaps pilot's hatch (not decided on the latter yet due to the finicky nature of the canopy vac part)

And yet...

• Like 18

1 hour ago, John D.C. Masters said:

This is a rather speedy one for you.  And just as precise and lovely.

One of my many names is Speedy Gonzales. Let's hope I won't be kicked out of this country.

Sigh...

Anyway: the elevators had counterbalance masses (dangling down, so to speak), so those are fashioned:

IMG_5283+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Beautiful work so far, the scratch building is superb. Can't wait for more!   :thumbsup2:

Which stage of the round the world flight will your model depict? I seem to recall some modifications were made along the way - perhaps after the Luke Field ground loop? And a window was covered over with a scab patch in Miami? Or my memory is fading (as usual)...

Cheers,

Bill

• Thanks 1

This is how you make those counterweights (at the request of a member of this kind membership)

Take a styrene rod or stretched sprue:

IMG_5284+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Sand the pointy tail of the teardrop:

IMG_5285+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Cut it off:

IMG_5286+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Sand the round head of the teardrop:

IMG_5287+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Cut it off:

IMG_5288+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Glued head and tail together:

IMG_5289+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Get a piece of leftover strut material or sand one to shape, cut as desired:

IMG_5290+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Glue to teardrop at the desired angle:

IMG_5291+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Et voilà.

The "gears" of the legs are represented with a suitable piece of leftover photo-etched material:

IMG_5292+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Beautiful work so far, the scratch building is superb. Can't wait for more!   :thumbsup2:

Which stage of the round the world flight will your model depict? I seem to recall some modifications were made along the way - perhaps after the Luke Field ground loop? And a window was covered over with a scab patch in Miami? Or my memory is fading (as usual)...

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill

As I noted somewhere above, yes, the plane went through changes.

I will represent it as it flew to legend, window on door, no big window on the aft fuselage right side, gears -and no jacks- on L.G., international orange patch on stab and L.E.s, wire antenna connected to fuselage on the right midway the right wire, and so on.

The plane had painted cowls for the Bendix race, different directional finder earlier in its life, no window on door earlier, big window until it reached (reportedly) Miami where it was blanked, and many other small changes.

Modelers interested in representing this plane at other stages will have fun and learn a lot researching.

Cheers

Edited by Moa
to correct typo
  • Like 3

I love the choices in your builds Moa! Just what I like . Between wasr civvy types. DH89 anow a Lockheed twin... what next... keep 'em coming as I find your build s inspiring!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moa said:

The text is an from an old manuscript containing all the secrets of modeling:

I thought it was your "Excuse me" note translated ready for sale in China or Japan.

Muddled of Mars 👽

• Haha 6

18 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I thought it was your "Excuse me" note translated ready for sale in China or Japan.

Muddled of Mars 👽

The text is Japanese and would therefor not be for sale in China. It may well be an ancient text on the value of correcting overscale engine nacelles.

DennisTheBear

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Courageous said:

You describe your builds like a documentary, just wondering how quickly you could build if you weren't taking pics and posting. Keep up the good work.

Stuart 

Hi Stuart

To share this with fellow modelers and/or aviation enthusiasts is a pleasure.

What is not a plasure:

I do a lot of research, it takes far more time than the build itself, but I chose to focus on sharing the build, which -as you mentioned- takes also some time, taking the photos, posting, explaining.

Since some times posting data (let's say I post a plane's modifications timeline) attracts even more unwanted attention from the modeling police, and you have to lose yet more time debating, explaining, replying, looking for material to prove a point, etc, and frankly I rather have everyone doing their own research and making their own choices on their own models.

What is frustrating is the endless nitpicking.

I am a very practical modeler, I build a lot. I rather don't dwell excessively or compulsively on minutia and ceaseless doubts. I like accuracy, but I also like balance, and most of all, I like to have fun, which I usually have, until the modeling police arrives.

My builds are what I have to offer, if you find something useful, amusing, funny, interesting, new, etc., then that's great.

If of course I welcome information when I ask for it, I am not interested in unsolicited tiresome debating and nitpicking. I don't mind if others want to, but certainly I don't welcome it myself. In my own blog I just delete the postings or block those people who become exceedingly annoying. I build for, not against fellow modelers.

Now that would be for me time wasted. The time invested in sharing and having fun, I welcome it.

Cheers

• Like 6