I always wanted to build an Airfix bf 110 ++Finished++

20 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Ozzy,

you seem to enjoy yourself!!!

When you say that the inside of the 110 is a bit spartan, you win the understatement contest hands down!  Congrats!!!

It is tragic that you have to spend time fettling the wheels of the Spit to make sure they fit into the wells. On such a hi-tech kit, it is nothing short of daylight robbery to have to do any serious work on it.

Never stop having fun!

JR

Thanks Jean,

i spent a whole five English pounds on the kit, I was expecting expert moulding from 1950s Airfix. I can't believe I had to dust off my sanding sticks and work up a sweat making the wheels fit, on a serious note I do enjoy building these kits getting them together within minutes. Only having to wait for the glue to dry, before getting the paint on and finishing within the hour.

alway having fun with my builds.

oz

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/07/2018 at 16:29, Ozzy said:

Thought I'd make a start on these today, started with the Spitfire.

Painted the driver and stuck him in, not a lot of detail in the cockpit. All went together really well apart from the under carriage, it looks as though it should be modelled in the wheels down position. 

The interior of the 110 is sparse compared to the new Airfix offering that @stevej60 is currently building.

A shot of them both together.

Once the canopy goes on the 110, with all that framing, you'll see the crew and that's about it! Looking forward to seeing the next installment. Cheers. Mike

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Once the canopy goes on the 110, with all that framing, you'll see the crew and that's about it! Looking forward to seeing the next installment. Cheers. Mike

Thanks Mike,

i must pull my finger out and finish this one off, I got a little side tracked building ICMs He-111.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Before I start anything else, I thought I'd better finish off these pair. Got all bits stuck on now, so it was about time for some paint. The Spitfire is brush painted and the 110 is airbrushed. Apart from the crew who are brush painted.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpgP

image.jpg

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Now that takes me back to being a nipper - hours spent running through the house making dagga dagga dagga noises......very nice!!!!! 👍

Thanks Lawzer,

thats what ive been doing all afternoon in between painting.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Thanks Lawzer,

thats what ive been doing all afternoon in between painting.

Now that i'm a bit "older" the dagga dagga dagga has been replaced with "zulu yankee yankee cleared for takeoff runway 160" while sitting at the kitchen table with someone else holding on the taxi way 😁 (Obviously when swmbo is out!!)....

and after that the dagga dagga dagga can start....😆

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lawzer said:

Now that i'm a bit "older" the dagga dagga dagga has been replaced with "zulu yankee yankee cleared for takeoff runway 160" while sitting at the kitchen table with someone else holding on the taxi way 😁 (Obviously when swmbo is out!!)....

and after that the dagga dagga dagga can start....😆

Thanks Lawzer,

I have been watching the Battle of Britain a number of times over the summer, so it's been beware of the Hun from the sun. As well as dagga dagga dagga. 

30 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking good! I remember building it as a lad, with that long canopy covering an empty fuselage with two guys on pegs.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,

thats the one, as the title says I always wanted to build one of these but ended up with the matchbox kit. That did have a bit of cockpit detail.

got on with it I got the transfers on, the 110s were showing their age. The port side transfers fell to bits, all others went on OK. The Spitfires looked to be a little newer as there was little to no yellowing. I will get some more pictures in daylight tomorrow.

image.jpg

• Like 2

Lovely job of this classic dogfight double Ozzy!

This was the kit I was always begging my Dad to get me from Woolies. The box art as ever looked way better than my built up effort. Nevertheless I loved this one back in the day.

Well done :clap2:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Lovely job of this classic dogfight double Ozzy!

This was the kit I was always begging my Dad to get me from Woolies. The box art as ever looked way better than my built up effort. Nevertheless I loved this one back in the day.

Well done :clap2:

Thanks Greg,

i hadn't come across these double sets before, I started my build education when Airfix had built kits on the blue prints. If I had come across the kit as a youngster, I definitely would have saved the pocket money for it. The box art of these original kits is fantastic very evocative, I tried to get my kits to look like the box art very hit and miss.

• Like 2

Hi Ozzy,

finished and looking good! These dogfight doubles instill an exciting dynamism into the models. Brings back my youth at the double, when I was too impatient to save enough to buy one of these and instead bought my kits one at a time... God knows how many bubble gums I sacrificed in order to be able to buy my plastic fix!!!

Beautiful!

JR

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Ozzy,

finished and looking good! These dogfight doubles instill an exciting dynamism into the models. Brings back my youth at the double, when I was too impatient to save enough to buy one of these and instead bought my kits one at a time... God knows how many bubble gums I sacrificed in order to be able to buy my plastic fix!!!

Beautiful!

JR

Thanks Jean,

sounds a bit like my childhood, any money I had went on a plastic fix. I wasn't that fussy what I built then.

5 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

You have made a great job of this Dogfight Double Ozzy. I made a few of these when I was younger, but didn't get around to this one. :thumbsup:

Thanks John,

i can definitely recommend it if you come across one.

5 hours ago, MarkSH said:

I always liked the idea of the dogfight doubles but I never got around to making one, Great work.

Thanks Mark,

they are a fantastic idea, definitely a range Airfix could expand the possibilities are endless.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Classic Airfix right there. Lovely.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,

definitely took me back to my childhood, I will look out for these kits on my travels. A nice weekend build.

11 hours ago, zebra said:

Marvellous! Don’t think there can be anything that says “Classic Airfix” more than a dogfight double.

Thanks zebra,

it was an enjoyable build, I never built kits with a stand before.

• Like 1