I always wanted to build an Airfix bf 110 ++Finished++

Just a place holder at the moment, I always wanted to build a 110 or as I called it a Messerschmitt with two engines. I didn't get the Airfix kit I got the Matchbox instead, as an added bonus I get a series 2 Spitfire too.

image.jpg

First realeased in 1967, this boxing in from 1973.

• Like 8

Hi Ozzy,

this 110 sure does look rather spartan, but it still looks like a 110. The box art has always puzzled me: what are the chances to have two propeller blades sheared off by bullets while at full RPM....

Nice painting still.

Lots of fun in the offing!

JR

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi Ozzy,

this 110 sure does look rather spartan, but it still looks like a 110. The box art has always puzzled me: what are the chances to have two propeller blades sheared off by bullets while at full RPM....

Nice painting still.

Lots of fun in the offing!

JR

Thanks JR,

a very, very lucky burst, it was 2 for the price of 1.

• Haha 2

Good to see Ozzy.

I've also built this kit as a young'n and recall it being painted in a brush mottled top side scheme with glossy bright blue undersides.

I also used thin strips of tape to mask the canopy frames and was quite proud of my achievements back then. 

Not sure if your planning on building both Dogfight double kits, however I've slotted this Bf110 as a 1958 entry in the GB build thread.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 3

I remember building this set sometime in the early 70's when I was about ten. Inspiring stuff for me back then, and completely lost on me that the specific pairing of a Spit IX and a Bf 110C(or D) was highly unlikely, and especially so in those markings. Life might have been better when I didn't know as much.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:Good to see Ozzy.

I've also built this kit as a young'n and recall it being painted in a brush mottled top side scheme with glossy bright blue undersides.

I also used thin strips of tape to mask the canopy frames and was quite proud of my achievements back then. 

Not sure if your planning on building both Dogfight double kits, however I've slotted this Bf110 as a 1958 entry in the GB build thread.

Cheers.. Dave

Thanks Dave,

wow now you've put a date for 1958 I understand why there is no interor.

I'm planning to build both as the kit comes with a display stand, I've got the AK set of German paint. Not used the greens yet, so splinter cam for this one.

16 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

I remember building this set sometime in the early 70's when I was about ten. Inspiring stuff for me back then, and completely lost on me that the specific pairing of a Spit IX and a Bf 110C(or D) was highly unlikely, and especially so in those markings. Life might have been better when I didn't know as much.

Definatly an inspiring box art, definitely a chance encounter if at all. I'm going back to my teens and building out of the box in blissful ignorance of any factual discrepancies.

6 hours ago, stevej60 said:

A real blast from the past Ozzy I believe the instruction sheet is in Latin!

Thanks Steve,

Now that @Rabbit Leader dated the 110 to 1958, the instructions may as well be in Latin hopefully the transfers hold up.

• Like 3

I just hope it is easier to build than those 1/48 Eduard 110's - nightmare.  Nice choice - do her proud. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, BIG X said:

I just hope it is easier to build than those 1/48 Eduard 110's - nightmare.  Nice choice - do her proud. :thumbsup:

I hope so to Big X, looking in the box and having a little test fit of bits. Considering her age goes together nicely, I enjoyed the Matchbox GB so I'm definitely going to enjoy this one.

26 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

This will be a real nostalgia build! Looking forward to it. Fingers crossed for the transfers!

Thanks Ventora,

not building either kit when I was younger looking forward to starting, I'm feeling very nostalgic ( like most) flicking through the threads remembering the kits I built long ago.

• Like 3

On 5/30/2018 at 1:48 PM, BIG X said:

My 1/72nd Eduard 110 went together like a dream ? No real issues at all. Im looking forward to this build though. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Lawzer said:

This must be one of the first "dog fight doubles" kits?

Look forward to the progress 👍

I think your right Lawzer, I've got my 262 build to finish off before I make a start.

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

My 1/72nd Eduard 110 went together like a dream ? No real issues at all. Im looking forward to this build though. 

Hopefully there will be no problems on this build Dennis, as I think in the 50s Airfix kept it simple.

• Like 3

finally got around to taking a picture of what's in the box, having built most of Airfixs catalogue when I was younger. When I opened the box I was surprised that the spitfire was blue and the 110 was grey, somthing I can live with below are the individual kits.

image.jpg

Dated 1960

image.jpg

110 sprue 

image.jpg

Spitfire sprue 

image.jpg

Dated 1957

image.jpg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The 1/48 ones can be a nightmare - good to hear the 1/72's go together better :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Hello @BIG X ... if you ever build an eduard 110 let me know before you get to the nacelles ? That supposedly is the trouble spot. I will tell you how i did mine so as to avoid issues. 

Dennis

PS - My apologies for intruding into your build thread Ozzy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Ozzy,

these two kits appear to be as sophisticated as the Sea Hawk I, for some inane reason, decided to build!

In our hobby, sanity does NOT prevail...

I am sure that you will enjoy both kits immensely!

JR

• Haha 1

On 3 June 2018 at 13:51, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello @BIG X ... if you ever build an eduard 110 let me know before you get to the nacelles ? That supposedly is the trouble spot. I will tell you how i did mine so as to avoid issues. 

Dennis

PS - My apologies for intruding into your build thread Ozzy. 

No worries Dennis

23 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Ozzy,

these two kits appear to be as sophisticated as the Sea Hawk I, for some inane reason, decided to build!

In our hobby, sanity does NOT prevail...

I am sure that you will enjoy both kits immensely!

JR

I'm all for simplicity Jean, with the Spitfire I don't even need to stick the wings together. Your Sea Hawk looks an intresting build.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd make a start on these today, started with the Spitfire.

Painted the driver and stuck him in, not a lot of detail in the cockpit. All went together really well apart from the under carrage, it looks as though it should be modelled in the wheels down position. 

image.jpg

The interor of the 110 is sparse compared to the new Airfix offering that @stevej60 is currently building.

image.jpg

A shot of them both together.

image.jpg

• Like 8

Really want to do Rudolf Hess’s Me 110 that he crash landed 10 miles from my home during WWII, canopy puts me off, looks like an overall aircraft that is a tough build, il look in on this thread though as you look like it’s easy to this stage of airframe 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

All went together really well apart from the under carrage, it looks as though it should be modelled in the wheels down position. 

Aha! Yes, I came across the undercart problem when I did the original Airfix Spitfire IX 'JE-J' last year in my “Achtung, Spitfeur!!” Do217E-2 and Spitfire IX overhead, but in 1969? Here's a way I found to have the undercarriage up and flush -

To get the undercarriage legs flush in the retracted position, the Instructions say to cut off the top locating pin, forgetting to mention that the wheel axle needs to come off as well and the wheels/tyres cannot be used as they sit proud of the wing underside.

I wanted to use the tyres so ended up filing one side flat and cutting a section of tyre to sit outside of the legs and covers – lots of re-touching now required.

Here's how it turned out so may be of use to you.

100_1520

Best of luck with your build! Cheers. Mike

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Really want to do Rudolf Hess’s Me 110 that he crash landed 10 miles from my home during WWII, canopy puts me off, looks like an overall aircraft that is a tough build, il look in on this thread though as you look like it’s easy to this stage of airframe 

Sound like a fantastic project Valkyrie, I have to admit I'm not sure how I'm going to tackle the canopy yet. The new Airfix kit looks nice with a little more detail, I did build a Dragon 1/48 kit a few years ago. That was a nice build, feel free to drop by any time.

1 hour ago, Ventora3300 said:

Aha! Yes, I came across the undercart problem when I did the original Airfix Spitfire IX 'JE-J' last year in my “Achtung, Spitfeur!!” Do217E-2 and Spitfire IX overhead, but in 1969? Here's a way I found to have the undercarriage up and flush -

To get the undercarriage legs flush in the retracted position, the Instructions say to cut off the top locating pin, forgetting to mention that the wheel axle needs to come off as well and the wheels/tyres cannot be used as they sit proud of the wing underside.

I wanted to use the tyres so ended up filing one side flat and cutting a section of tyre to sit outside of the legs and covers – lots of re-touching now required.

Here's how it turned out so may be of use to you.

100_1520

Best of luck with your build! Cheers. Mike

Thanks Mike,

i sanded the wheels down, but not enough the covers still stick out. As the aircraft is on a stand the undercarriage won't be seen.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

I think I must have done the same when I built my nostalgia-value-only Spitfire IX! Nice progress on the builds (or is it "build"?).

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,

a bit of both, I had only ever built the mk 1 before with wheels down. I guess in 1957 if it looked like a spitfire that was good enough.

• Like 2

Hi Ozzy,

you seem to enjoy yourself!!!

When you say that the inside of the 110 is a bit spartan, you win the understatement contest hands down!  Congrats!!!

It is tragic that you have to spend time fettling the wheels of the Spit to make sure they fit into the wells. On such a hi-tech kit, it is nothing short of daylight robbery to have to do any serious work on it.

Never stop having fun!

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 3