1/72 Focke-Wulf Fw 190 F-8 ++Finished++

Time for an update.  Primer and RLM76 are now on.

P1100396.jpg

The RLM76 is Vallejo 'Model Air' which is relatively 'bluey'.  It sprayed beautifully however - unlike Vallejo's 'Model Colour' range, which I can never get to spray properly.  I guess the clue is in the name!

I'll being using Xtracrylix for the remaining RLM colours.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

How do you thin it down ? I use it fairly often for airbrushing and really haven't had a problem with it. 

To be fair, I used Tamiya Thinners which may not be ideal (although I use them with many other types of water-based acrylics without any problems).  What have you used Dennis?

I've experienced a couple of problems:

• in some cases, spattering which is so bad as to make the paint unusable in my airbrush.
  • if they do spray, they have really poor adhesion (which makes them impossible to mask using my usual Tamiya tape).

I've found Model Colour to brush well and Model Air to spray well, but not vice versa.

• Like 2

Hello @CliffB ... I use an Iwata Hp-Bcs and i have always used plain water for airbrushing model color. I mix it to about a 60/40 split water being the majority. I then add 4-5 drops of some medea airbrush cleaner, it acts like a flow enhancer. I know that sounds odd but it works and helps when i clean up. I mix it using BB’s in a seperate bottle. When I pour it into my airbrush paint bottle i stir with a brush. If i get it dripping off the brush i know ive got the mix right. Of course i test it and adjust before i paint if need be.

For the spattering what pressure are you spraying at ? I’m at about 9-12 psi. I get spatters from time to time as well but tend to wipe it off since its pretty watery. I dont usually get streaks that way. For the adhesion issue i always spray future about 20-30 minutes after each color if im masking. And spray the future after all the colors if im freehanding camouflage. As for hairy stick brushing Vallejoair i do that as well but i let it sit in a tray or water bottle cap for about 15-20 minutes to let the thinners evaporate. I usually need two sometimes three coats to get good coverage.

As for Tamiya thinners and vallejo ? Ive tried that brushing and get gloop. So i never tried it through the airbrush. Ive read that Tamiya’s Lacquer based acrylic and vallejo is water based. I cant even mix the paints or i get gloop. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3

On 02/07/2018 at 15:28, CliffB said:

My three year old grandaughter Chloe, has just produced this one in under an hour

I strongly approve of the fingerprint-free canopy! If she isn't too busy could you ask her to pop round and glue my Whirlwind canopy on?

:)

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I strongly approve of the fingerprint-free canopy! If she isn't too busy could you ask her to pop round and glue my Whirlwind canopy on?

:)

Adrian

Chloe recommends using Tamiya Extra Thin Cement, applied with the bottle's brush :smartass:.  She says that the secret with canopies is to faff about a bit, so that there's very little solvent left on the brush by the time you come to use it!

Meanwhile.......

P1100402.jpg

Next I'll be painting the 'exhaust eagles' (if that's what they are really called), and then finally the mottles.

Thanks for looking,

Cliff

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

Thanks Adrian.

The paintwork is now finished and glossed ready for decals.

P1100408.jpg

Following its capture, the plane's German national markings were painted over by the Yugoslavs.  I've brush painted these patches, trying not to take too much care.  As a result their surface finish is somewhat rougher than I was intending ;).

I'll be using these Lift Here! decals (plus there are a couple of small red triangular warning labels, that I may be able to salvage from the Airfix sheet - which would be a nice gesture).

P1100409.jpg

See you later,

Cliff

• Like 5

Thank you Lawzer and Beard :)

Well, the decals went on just fine so here it is finished.

P1100417.jpg

I'll post more photos in the Gallery shortly, but in the meantime I liked to say thank you to all of you who supported this build and to Lawzer and Ventora3300 for being such attentive hosts.

Thanks also, as always, to Enzo for making it all happen.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Yet another lovely job Cliff. The finished product is most impressive and looks so good in that final photograph. Tops marks my friend! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That was a quick finish and a very interesting twist as a 'captured' version - I suppose that the Yugoslav markings have now been consigned to history (?) Did you end up using one of the camouflage schemes (before overpainting) from the Airfix Magazine Guide 10? Excellent result!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Yet another lovely job Cliff. The finished product is most impressive and looks so good in that final photograph. Tops marks my friend! 

Cheers.. Dave 

4 hours ago, Lawzer said:

great job - like that a lot!! 👍

2 hours ago, Smudge said:

Nice work Cliff, very striking in those unusual colours. The old Airfix -190 stands up pretty good.

Thanks for your kind comments guys, they are much appreciated.

I must admit that I had low expectations when I started - it was a kit that I'd acquired by accident and to me it was too new to be 'classic Airfix'.  As it turned out though, I really enjoyed the build - maybe a little bit of Airfix magic after all!

13 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

That was a quick finish and a very interesting twist as a 'captured' version - I suppose that the Yugoslav markings have now been consigned to history (?) Did you end up using one of the camouflage schemes (before overpainting) from the Airfix Magazine Guide 10? Excellent result!

Yes, I believe that this form of Yugoslav marking is no more - replaced by an interesting selection of markings for each of the former Yugoslav republics (many of whose air forces actually pre-date the formation of Yugoslavia).

Unfortunately, my head was turned by the painting instructions provided with the new decals, so after an initial browse I returned the Airfix Guide back to its dusty shelf :(.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, BIG X said:

You have to love a spiral nose cone - top job Cliff. :D

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Excellent Fw.190 :clap2:

Thank you :).  My first ever spiral and the decal made it surprisingly easy!

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Supercuber said:

That turned out beautiful, Cliff ! Well done!

7 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Great job Cliff,great paintwork and great scheme.

Thank you Nenad and Steve :)

• Like 1

Top work Cliff, a lovely model.

Just reading some of the posts above about Vallejo model air. I've given up on it for the time being too. I can get if spray ok thinned 50/50 with some flue improver added to but forget masking it.

James

Edited by franky boy
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...