So starts another a scratch/bash of kits to make my version of an Ian mcque type sci-fi floating ship. 

Starting of with a revell harbour tug boat for this build and we will see if I can come up with something different but similar to what is already out there. 

Some very badly drawn ideas on paper but they give me something to work with. 

2018-05-25_04-32-30

And a start I have made. I 

2018-05-29_07-25-25

Have moved the cabin to the back of the deck,  added the extra level and moved the railing (that I might or might not cut out and make new). Added a hand rail to top of the upper cabin and a few bits and bobs here and there......and so it begins....... 

Travel toothpaste lid and candle holder used to make the new generator. 

IMG_20180529_192308

Thanks for looking.

Edited by rockpopandchips
name added.
  • Like 12

On 5/29/2018 at 11:39 PM, Will Vale said:

O-ho, this is the one we've all been waiting for. Looks like you're off to a good start!

Will

Cheers Will. 

So thinking last night that this wire might be a better choice to use as the rigging, looks to be a better scale match than cotton thread. 

IMG_20180531_063418

• Like 5

Working on the roofs of the boat and after mocking these up, I'm thinking the large one at the front should be a bit like one from Jabbas  sail barge. 

2018-06-01_06-41-58

And I have a new stash of plastic rod turn up today...... So much fun...... 

2018-06-01_07-27-37

Edited by rockpopandchips
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

So much fun...... 

It is isn't it?

I built one about five years ago and did post pictures on here but can't now find the thread.

I'm currently scratch building a variation on the Ma.k Lunadiver using two Sea Kings as a starting point.

I found the build thread. the RFI seems to have disappeared.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

built one about five years ago 

Peter that is an amazing build 😎,  I hope mine turns out 1/2 as good. Still not sure what sort of base I want to do for this one, but I'm thinking of some sort of water...... 🤔

• Like 1

Thank you. I had to leave it behind when I left Saudi as it was so big.

I still have parts of it though, which will live on in other builds.

All in though, I really enjoyed building it.

Your build, how about having a harpoon gun on the front?

They've shot something like a Dune worm and the ship is suspended on the harpoon line?

(Then again you could just ignore me and hope I go away) 😄

• Like 1

I was thinking crane but I'm moving the cabin deck farward so not sure how much room there will be so a harpoon gun might be a better option. Keep the comments and suggestions comming Pete you always come up with some gems. Cheers Brian. 

• Like 1

I've always liked these "ships of the sky", especially the flying chinese restaurant in The Fifth Element film. 

But never really thought about building one, now i am feeling inspired..... might take a stroll to the LMS and see if he has any boat kits 🚢

• Like 2

Does it have to be a crane?

This boat could be a refueller? or it's to empty the tanks of fishing ships.

Or it could tow cargo balloons or.....

If a boat can fly, it could do anything you can think of.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Does it have to be a crane?

This boat could be a refueller? or it's to empty the tanks of fishing ships.

Or it could tow cargo balloons or.....

If a boat can fly, it could do anything you can think of.

Or a massive foam blower for the biggest foam party ever!.........maybe not. No the crane is a place holder for now, I do see the deck full of odds and sods, box's barrels hoses etc. I think until I get the deck glued down I'm in no rush. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

I've always liked these "ships of the sky", especially the flying chinese restaurant in The Fifth Element film. 

But never really thought about building one, now i am feeling inspired..... might take a stroll to the LMS and see if he has any boat kits 🚢

Go for it, it's a lot of fun and you could choose any genre and go mad. I already want to do a steampunk version. 

• Like 3

With the crane if there isn't room at the front, perhaps you could have some sort of replacement for part of the hull itself. Something like a large under-belly mounted winch system built into the bottom back portion of the boat hull, like instead of where the engines would be you could replace part of the hull with a big cargo/storage platform along and the crane/winch, so built into the ship itself. You'd obviously have to move the engines elsewhere but it would leave space on the deck for other things.

Edited by TheVoidDragon
  • Like 2

Off to a great start mate 👍 I love the idea of a sky ship, it's right up my alley and I'm looking forward to seeing this come together. The little launch is a great touch and must be flipping tiny in 1/100 , and the chairs are making my eyes ache just thinking about working with something that small.

Pete

• Like 1