Nimitz - Stokes Bay, June 1978

Hi again all!

This time I've opted for something a little more local. The date was 23rd June 1978 and the following few shots are from a visit to the carrier while docked in Stokes Bay, off Portsmouth, UK. A typically grey and wet day played havoc with Kodak's finest but I've wrestled these in to submission ;):

nim2

nim3

nim1

nim4

I hope you like them.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Smudge said:

More please

Of what, mate? A-7s?, Hercs?, choppers? Starfighters? MIGs? Other U.S. army? .........or pot luck?

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

15 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Of what, mate? A-7s?, Hercs?, choppers? Starfighters? MIGs? Other U.S. army? .........or pot luck?

Martin

Anything on Nimitz!

14 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I hope you like them.

Hell yes, of course. :) What unit is the A-7, looks like a "Death rattlers" emblem on the tail to me? As for more, you choose though you'll never go wrong with a F-14 or two, especially from the Jolly Rogers. :)

Steve.

Oh very nice.

More of the A7's, A6, Hawkeyes and a few of any Sea Kings please.

These are all models I have in my stash. Very interesting photo with the A7 of the Rattlers, a D-704 pod on the wing.

Great photos.

Inspiring stuff though I don't model USN any more. BUT... I will have to sort out my USS JFK visit slides and share those here....1976.

Ah yes, JFK was more interesting with the RF-8s. A very choppy trip out to her as I recall! ;)

Blue Blasters A-6s, Swordsmen F-14s and more :)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

Lovely stuff - I've got some Kodachrome stuff from the visit, though from memory the sun was out - must drag 'em out. 

What scanner & software are you using?

30 minutes ago, Jinxman said:

Lovely stuff - I've got some Kodachrome stuff from the visit, though from memory the sun was out - must drag 'em out

You may be in the crowd behind the F-14? ;)

6 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

You may be in the crowd behind the F-14? ;)

Apologies, I have misled you! I have some Kodachrome given to me by a chap called Bryan Cox who got around quite a bit back in the day.

I'm in the process of getting my scanner set up so I'll try and find his stuff and get it scanned - from memory he had some very interesting stuff.

cheers

No problem, mate. They were certainly great times, when you could relatively easily access these machines, and when they wore something other than overall grey ;).

Edited by RidgeRunner

Oh yes - he showed me a lot of the things he went to see - the access made me green with envy,  the types on display were astonishing, and the PROs involved were more than accommodating.

Must get the scanner wound up when I get back from a little trip to Totnes, (which happens to sit nicely with the Torbay airshow), 😁.

On 29/05/2018 at 22:29, RidgeRunner said:

Martin

Just some more flight deck or hanger stuff from the Nimitz would be fine 🙂

On 29/05/2018 at 17:07, RidgeRunner said:

I hope you like them.

Martin

And how i like it! Thank you Martin! This A-7E reminds me: The Final Countdown. Captain Kirk (Douglas) and no Enterprise: Nimitz! I get the shiver!

Cheers

Tom

14 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Ant,  I'm sorry but I certainly don't gave any. There were none aboard. VQ-2 was shore-based, at Rota, Spain. 

Martin

No problem, you are quite right they were shore based at Rota, but they supplied detachments aboard the US carriers on Mediterranean cruises, there's every probability that they departed the ship once she left the Med.