Lowmac and JCB 3 combo

I'll be along with this in a while

http://www.vintage-airfix.com/airfix/ho-oo-rolling-stock/lowmac-and-jcb3-p-409.html

But being railway related, I feel duty bound to be a bit late with some photos! Anyhow, as you can see from the link it first came out in 1964 and has a rarity rating of err 'rare'. I'm saving some pennies with the Dapol pairing- Dapol hit upon the neat idea of selling the Job separately to the Lowmac so model building sites don't have to be rail served.

I think they'll be plenty of fun ahead! Thanks to our hosts for conceiving this build to haze through the summer with.

• Like 7

Interesting history, it was bought by Dapol but long thought lost in the fire at their factory. It turned up many years later when Dapol got a phone call from a tool shop saying 'We have one of your moulds here, do you want it back?' Turns out it had been sent for repair the day before the fire, but forgotten about in the aftermath.

• Like 4

That's fascinating, and explains why I didn't know it existed until I started looking for cheaper ways to build this kit- I'd not noticed it on previous visits to the Dapol website. 

Does seem suitably 'British' and 'railway 'to loose some molds- No wonder Disney set One of our dinosaurs is missing in London!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Can you feel it? (Jackson 5 from 1980 and eligible for the build play list)

OK sprue fondlers! Who hasn't had a feel yet? I'll admit that I've been in there...

IMG_20180530_190744.jpg 

That's the lowmac set of parts. And here's the JCB

IMG_20180530_191544_hdr.jpg 

Reassuringly, both kits come with a duplicate set of decals! And of course the obligatory Dapol text about ignore the part numbers, some parts might need straightening out etc. etc. Curiously, the lowmac has the painting instructions for the jcb but think I'll be able to figure it out somehow

More to follow, and only 2 days left to wait - just like Christmas

Edited by Mjwomack
typo
  • Like 3

Unchained Melody Righteous Brothers 1965 eligible for the play list (no, I'm not sure how long I'll keep this up for)

IMG_20180530_191149_hdr.jpg 

A very limited after-market collection for this build. Amazing what you learn in your LHS; I was after some chain for the tie-down etc. Nice Mr Man said they don't stock it any more as its too expensive and there's more choice in Clare's accessories but I'll darken them first. And as Mr Man pointed out, you get trinket jewellery which will probably not even make it to the spares box (but it is magnetic, which might be handy)

Undecided about replacing the buffers though, which probably means I will in the end!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Flash Queen 1980 (though I thought it was mid 70s).

'He/ It's for everyone of us'....

IMG_20180530_191934_hdr.jpg 

There are parts in there somewhere! Though I suspect others will have far flashier kits that a humble railway wagon. I like how the original box art showed no wheel nuts on the JCB to kid you into thinking that the kit wheels are highly accurate reproductions.

I just don't know what to do with myself - originally Tommy Hunt 1962, but we all know Dusty's 1964 version (sort of a Dapol repop thing I guess)

I was just going to build this, but inspired by @BIG X and his building multi-build, I'm thinking vignette with airfoil platform, shunter and assorted people. Does over-ambitious count as a good reason for an extension?

• Like 4

Crossroads Eric Clapton & Cream 1966ish

I don't know which way to go, lomac or JCB first. Can't find much on the JCB apart from this

https://www.thecea.org.uk/restored-jcb-takes-pride-of-place-at-st-patricks-day-parade/

Turns out the coup style lining is pretty accurate though the roof detail is mile (probably scale miles) adrift. Curiously the wheels don't seem to be so far out as I thought they were, but they definitely need wheel nuts on them.

Want to get a bit more of a mojo sapping build for the RAF centenary behind me and then reward myself with some old school.

• Like 3

Go for the JCB as the first part nice YELLOW sort of thing I'm saying this only because I HATE painting yellow so might learn a easier way to do it from you.😁😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You think I know how to paint yellow,sheesh!  But you've reminded me than that when I was at school,so when it really was the golden years of airfix i ate the bad bits of school dinners first to get them out of the way  so, the jc b wins

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Mjwomack said:

You think I know how to paint yellow,sheesh!  But you've reminded me than that when I was at school,so when it really was the golden years of airfix i ate the bad bits of school dinners first to get them out of the way  so, the jc b wins

It will soon be time to splash the 'custard' - For whatever reason I can't help referring to yellow paint as 'custard' :mental:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Keep the customer satisfied (Simon and Garfunkel 1970)

It'll be along time before any customer satisfied, but here in detail are the parts of the JCB

IMG_20180610_181034_hdr.jpg 

As others have noted, the Dapol instructions say to ignore the sprue part numbers, not a problem - there aren't any!!! So with nothing to loose and figuring it was a way to separate the trees from the wood or at least the parts from the flash, I've trimmed it all down into this...

IMG_20180610_184241_hdr.jpg 

I was going to say Simples, but remember that's outside the time-frame and alas it isn't! The solid bonnet shouldn't be; there's meant to be an engine in there - surgery required (Carry on Matron 1972). The front wheel has a huge moulding ridge under all the flash, well so I thought but it turns out that the trees do have a very pronounced centre ridge - but no flash so that's still got to come off, as has the beautiful sidewall moulding as they seem to be a sort of racing slick for digger! The rear tyres have a straight across ridge but it should be herring bone- that's just going to have to stay as it is. So having found Rush (the Hunt/ Lauda  - 1970s film) to watch, its a noisy evening of sanding ahead.

But this model is remarkable, if you're so inclined (and can reach in the cab) the seat swivels, the wheels rotate and the back hoe can traverse - which was JCBs unique selling point. And of course the front digger goes up and down after a fashion.

Plenty of fun to be had, but a long long time before we start splashing custard- please remember You can't always get what you want ( Rolling Stones 1969)

• Like 3

Let's stick together (Brian Ferry 1976), because it's always encouraging to stick a few bits together, heres the stunning detail of the steering column and hoe control unit

IMG_20180610_185529_hdr.jpg 

At least at this resolution you can't see how badly it fits, there's going to be a lotta filla Cilla!

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

As others have said, there is a whole game of find the part to be played with these flashy old kits. Added excitement is that the Dapol instructions, by their own admission, don't always have the part numbers. In the end, I decided my best bet was to give up with the instructions and take a more 'forensic' approach to things...

IMG_20180717_201629_hdr.jpg 

I grouped the parts by what I thought was a likely part of the build, swing my finger around in a pin the tail on the donkey kind of way and settled on this lot...

IMG_20180717_201744_hdr.jpg 

Which I'm confident is the back hoe assembly, at bottom right is the king-pin and pivot components and more flash than could clean any number of kitchen floors in the 60s! And so, off we go...indeed @Ventora3300 start me up! Oh No! that was 1981!! Standby...Oh for what's it's worth..tenous but Springfield Buffalo did take their name form earth-moving machinery and the instructions are pretty much 'for what they're worth'

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Half way through the BG time, clearly I need to (1) stop going on holiday, (2) stop wondering about the JCB details and crack on.

Actually, I can't stop wondering about JCB details, and there's another holiday next week but to give the pretence of progress I've made a start of the lowmac.

IMG_20180802_200436_hdr.jpg

Not many parts to worry about - but I will worry and am adding some more. Though probably not enough as I've already talked myself out of adding brake gear etc (who wants to stop in any case - nanny state nonsense having brakes!!)

Decided to go for a light grey finish to give a faded look (along with heavy weathering) as I want to try and highlight the shiny new JCB against the ageing railway wagon.

IMG_20180802_200506_hdr.jpg

Plank by blank painting wasn't as bad as I'd feared. And on we go...

..just as soon as I can haul myself off this addictive website

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brlowmacek/h2398F265#h2398f265

I guess if photos of grimy lowers is your thing then addiction is too polite a word for it and my chances of social re-integration are pretty slim! but for anyone who wants a good source of railway detail photos ? @Heather Kay @nimrod54 and others, this is a gold mine

• Like 4

I really hope that you can spot the difference

IMG_20180804_193608_hdr_kindlephoto-3306

I may have zoomed in more than was prudent, but I'm not really on close terms with Prudence at the best of times!

The point is, I just HAD to replace the Airfix 'details' for something more detailed and add a brake pipe. I fretted that the buffers stood to proud, but on studying the Paul Bartlett photos, I think they do stand proud and Airfix rather undersold those.

Arguably I should have used a screw coupling, but had some 3 link to hand and think it gives it a suitable clanky look.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

Arguably I should have used a screw coupling, but had some 3 link to hand and think it gives it a suitable clanky look.

Actually, it's more likely to have been a variant of the 3-link called an Instanter. The centre link was kind of heart-shaped that allowed it to be manipulated to a position that gave a closer coupling - like a screw link coupling - when in a vacuum braked train. It was invented by the GWR, and adopted by British Railways for most freight stock.

<chuffer train nerd mode off>

:winkgrin:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...