Saab j-35 Draken 1/48 Hasegawa. {Changed from Fr-35} Italeri gripen added to build.

22 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Yes, their kits are very nice with nice details and very good fit. Will get one eventually. Understandable! Nice with an Aussie Mustang! :)

Christer was at the same "camp" as I, and I sat close and could easily see what he did, when not occupied with my own build.

His Wif build with splinter camo is here somewhere.

Thanks for the links! Those decals would be very useful to have. 

Adding a small pitot there is no esay task, painted or not, but perhaps carfully drilling a small hole will do the trick. Bloody small area to drill on though! :)

Nice work with the decals! Getting there! :)

Håkan

Hello Håkan.

I am glad the links may be helpful. I would like to see them release draken decals sheets. Having said that the Hasegawa decals, while still thicker than AM sets, are well done. I was happy to see the large dayglo numbers didn't need trimming. The colour and register are excellent and the gold in the badge looks superb. I am really very happy with this draken and look forward to building the FR-35.

My Tarangus J32B lansen arrived yesterday. I had forgotten Tarangus sells the needed PE separately. I now look forward to the Special hobby viggen and Tarangus safirs arrival. There's some interesting AM out there for the viggen.

I have a few days with limited time and will use that to consider my options. I may not even add that small fin pitot using my excuse that this is a practice build. I will know better when I move on to my Danish model. I really do have ham hands and worry I may destroy it. Both draken and gripen are being thrown together. I never expected to complete the gripen. At all. Let alone getting to the painting phase. The draken... could I really leave it? I don't know. I will wait to decide.

Here's an amazing ride. I thought you may enjoy it. 

https://youtu.be/eXaPfUs6sQw

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Christer A said:

I finally managed to find the Draken splinter template!

35346264_1861781487219247_21966026291638

Oh well, my draken is panted now anyway so...(details in my sig)

Wonderful. Thanks so much.

I will now check everything in your signature. I did not realize there were links. Many thanks. :)

I think Hasegawas decals usually works pretty good and look good too.

Nice that your Lansen have arrived! A few awaiting purchases there then! :)

Perhaps best to leave it as it is, and do better on the next build!

Quite some ride! Wouldn't enjoy doing it! :)

Håkan

• Like 1

On 19/06/2018 at 22:45, Azgaron said:

Yes, their kits are very nice with nice details and very good fit. Will get one eventually. Understandable! Nice with an Aussie Mustang! :)

Christer was at the same "camp" as I, and I sat close and could easily see what he did, when not occupied with my own build.

His Wif build with splinter camo is here somewhere.

Thanks for the links! Those decals would be very useful to have. 

Adding a small pitot there is no esay task, painted or not, but perhaps carfully drilling a small hole will do the trick. Bloody small area to drill on though! :)

Nice work with the decals! Getting there! :)

Håkan

Hello Håkan.

The 'camp' sounds very educational and fun. I have not had much of a chance to check the site. There's so much here to see...

No worries about the link. Glad to help. I have a P-51 for the Swedish AF and have now found a RAAF sheet... I must build two. :)

I added a pitot to the gripen. I will do it with the draken later.

I have had limited time and used it on 3 models. This is how far I was a few hours ago.

7SQ7Cb.jpg

0NGryY.jpg

EEqHi2.jpg

XHddb7.jpg

WbEpjZ.jpg

vb2DFZ.jpg

• Like 4

Very nice work with all three builds!  :)

Yes, it's quite a lot to see here, even in the airplane wip area alone! :)

Two Tamiya Mustangs that's nice! :) Will eventually get one at least.

Added a pitot to mine, and are soon getting ready to prime it.

Håkan

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Very nice work with all three builds!  :)

Yes, it's quite a lot to see here, even in the airplane wip area alone! :)

Two Tamiya Mustangs that's nice! :) Will eventually get one at least.

Added a pitot to mine, and are soon getting ready to prime it.

Håkan

Yes there is much to see. When I do have time I tend to look in this section. Not only is there much to see, there is much to learn. :)

• Like 1

On 27/06/2018 at 07:07, exdraken said:

looking great!

Thank you very much. My usual ham handed efforts. :)

On 28/06/2018 at 18:55, Christer A said:

That does look rather pretty!

Thanks very much. :)

On 29/06/2018 at 00:09, Azgaron said:

Looks very nice! Looks like both soon are finished! :)

Håkan

Hi Håkan.

Thank you. I awoke keen to complete the draken. Then did this. I have just begun to weather it. The airframe was pretty dirty by 1947. So I am going to trash it. I have faded the paint and have begun weathering it. I broke a little rod off the leg which can be replaced. Sadly failed to notice a seam in the engine spine. Typical. :)

Draken tomorrow. :)

snom9N.jpg

TKqYGj.jpg

Edited by Ham Hands
  • Like 5

Nice looking Salamander! Captured?

Yeah it's kinda typical finding missed seams after paint is on.

Håkan

• Like 1

Thanks Håkan.

Yes it is one of the many captured at the war's end. I have two sheets of these captured 162's. Two other French, 1 Russian,  1 RAF. They had some good schemes. This A/C was tested in France. I have a photo of it in 1947 and it looks pretty shabby. I want to give it  the "last chicken in the shop" look. As if they have finished with it and are now more concerned with building their own jets. :)

As for that seam, I forgot it is supposed to be there. 🤡

Currently dirtying it and messing up the paint job. 

nJ4ECk.jpg

gQi6fP.jpg

• Like 3

Love to see the weathering finished! Good idea to have that abandoned look on a plane like this! :)

Have one in the stash, but haven't decided yet which scheme to do, or if I'd get AM decals.

Håkan

• Like 1

Hi Håkan.

It's a nice little model but the way it has been engineered differs from other Tamiya kits in that the undercarriage must be added early. I decided to build it OOB except for decals. I even used the kit harness decals. It looks ok at a glance. I have a few of these quick builds on the go ATM because I just spent two years concentrating heavily. I'll worry about a harness later. :)

I had planned to complete the draken today. Or get close. Then I was sidetracked and completed the 162 instead. :)

P9s3dL.jpg

YzkfOi.jpg

gaFNgP.jpg

wdl5rL.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Christer A said:

I approve of your sidetrack-ness!

So do I! Looks great! :)

Easier to get back to the other now! :)

Håkan

• Like 1

Thanks Hakan.

I just realized I've forgotten to affix the pitot to the 162. Happily I have it and can add it later this weekend. It's in my cabinet now and I will get it out on Sunday for repair.

:)

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I am finally getting around to completing these old builds. They have been sitting comfortably under my sink.

I wish to ask a question re' the Draken. I cannot work out how I should paint/mask the pitot and nose area where it is black??? Normally this would be complete at this stage. What do I do?

Thanks.

9Y29U1.jpg

The Gripen.

bzX8Tc.jpg

• Like 3

I am very sad to report that both models were destroyed in a freak accident. The cupboard in which they were kept fell due to weight. The stone top was too heavy for the walls. Lost in the accident were both Saab aeroplanes and a martlet and F-86.

I can save one ejection seat.

Damn shame.

• Sad 4