Saab j-35 Draken 1/48 Hasegawa. {Changed from Fr-35} Italeri gripen added to build.

Terrific. Thanks.

I am planning another draken, so I am interested in this book you have. May I ask what it is? My next draken will be a more detailed and complete model. I'd love to have a good book on this aeroplane. :)

11 hours ago, Ham Hands said:

Terrific. Thanks.

I am planning another draken, so I am interested in this book you have. May I ask what it is? My next draken will be a more detailed and complete model. I'd love to have a good book on this aeroplane. :)

21 hours ago, Ham Hands said:

This is one of the books that I have

https://biblioteket.stockholm.se/titel/431877

I have no clue if it's avaliable in English though and it's 20 years old.

Now, I'd go for the Nordic Airpower books.

http://nordicairpower.com/books/index.html

Possibly a little bit pricey, but they're great!

Also, the Draken book from Nordic is using photos from the same photographer as in my old book, so you can so do wrong with it :)

• Like 1

Thank you.

Those are very handsome books. I'd like all of them. Thanks for bringing them to my attention. :)

It is a shame those libraries are so far from here. :(

This video is stunning. Very beautiful, full of colour and an amazing aeroplane.

Edited by Ham Hands
Added a video.
  • Like 2

Hello Hakan.

Thank you. The metal areas have been masked and the camo begun. I was able to model all day from 6.00 AM through until 6.30 PM. It seems like a long time but I spent a lot of time cleaning up areas on both the gripen and draken. I have another full day tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see what is accomplished then.

Oh I checked the buchaneer I told you about and it turns out it's a sea venom. I don't have one after all.  Easy to confuse the two I suppose...🤡

Nice to be able to spend that much time doing hobby stuff! :)

Pretty much what I did last weekend at that meeting I mentioned. Often hard to get that much time, at home, as there are other things to do! :)

Easy to mix things up! I have the Sea Venom too, original box and all! :) Thoughts of building a Swedish version have occured, but might get the Revell one for that instead!

Håkan

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Azgaron said:

Nice to be able to spend that much time doing hobby stuff! :)

Pretty much what I did last weekend at that meeting I mentioned. Often hard to get that much time, at home, as there are other things to do! :)

Easy to mix things up! I have the Sea Venom too, original box and all! :) Thoughts of building a Swedish version have occured, but might get the Revell one for that instead!

Håkan

Indeed it is. I had visitors that slowed me down. I lost a little time. Hopefully tomorrow will be totally free.

I will build the sea venom in Swedish colours as well. I bought  the below set of decals from Moose Republic. I seem to have a large collection of Swedish subjects.

32005_J33_Instructions_Front.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like a nice decal set! Have to get that, if it's available.

Nice paint job on Draken, and good job on the Gripen! :)

Håkan

• Like 1

Thank you Håkan.

Here is the sheet. The gentleman at M.R. is a very nice chap. Very helpful and easy to communicate with.

I have bought a few sheets from him and I can recommend M.R. confidently.

1/32 Moose republic 1/32 sea venom sheet.

Were you able to get some work i over the weekend? I've been so busy modelling I have hardly read the site and have been left behind a bit. So I have yet to see anything. I will look through the thread later when I've finished for the evening. 

Now time to see if the nozzle clogged while answering your post. :)

It's clean! :D

Thanks for the link to the decals! Bookmarked it. Saw that he had decals for other swedified aircraft. That's nice! 

Would love to build a J 26 in 32nd! :)

Not much, had to do things like cutting our hedge, and other stuff in and around our house.

Gonna do a small update in the Harrier thread asap.

That was fast! Looks really nice with decals on. Not all I see, but getting there! :)

Btw, gonna do the blue and green camo on mine.

Håkan

• Like 1

Hello Håkan.

Yes the J-26 would be great. Which kit would you use? 

I will check the harrier thread. Have not seen more of your buccaneer. I will have a look later on. I am interested to see that kit built. I have not looked at much of the site recently due to just wanting to get on with my builds. I only see random bits every now and then during a break or when posting an image. (images help me remember where I am. Very useful. :) )

Not sure! I have the Hasegawa Man O War, but like to build that scheme, since it's a bit unusual. Think I'll get another kit for the J 26 build.

The Buccaneer got to a bit of a halt, when I started the Harrier, but I will get back to it asap. Got a month to make the deadline for the group build I'm in, so better get cracking! :)

Love to see the progress of your builds! :)

Håkan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Not sure! I have the Hasegawa Man O War, but like to build that scheme, since it's a bit unusual. Think I'll get another kit for the J 26 build.

The Buccaneer got to a bit of a halt, when I started the Harrier, but I will get back to it asap. Got a month to make the deadline for the group build I'm in, so better get cracking! :)

Love to see the progress of your builds! :)

Håkan

Hello Håkan.

I've not seen the Hasegawa P-51 in 1/32. 

Swedish camouflage has certainly been attractive over the years. I had only planned for the Danish draken. So when this became a practice for a more detailed draken I chose what seemed the easier option of grey which, as it turns out, is very pleasing and easy on the eye.

I have found a photo of a grey viggen that is alluring. The aircraft looks very beautiful. I never expected to not build a splinter green viggen. And yet I may. There is a sheet at Moose republic that covers both schemes which will allow me to change my mind. Although I think having all 3, draken viggen gripen, in grey may be dull.

The other builds are slowly moving. The big spitfire is looking good. The focus is more on the two jets here. 

Speaking of nice Swedish camo, I found this gripen. :)

4df417bb15209046e86dd77144aa8b44.jpg

22 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Now that is a nice looking Draken!

Don't forget the little pitot-tube on top of the fin now 😉

Hello Christer.

Tomorrow I hope to attach the tail pitot. I only noticed it late in the build. (I should have seen it earlier.)

I am looking forward to getting the viggen and draken books you recommended. 

• Like 1

A Draken, Viggen and Gripen in grey is quite striking!

None of the colors are they same for them, så tey will all have a different set of greys.

That photo of a Gripen is unfortunatly a Photoshop job.

Only one Gripen has ever been painted in the famous FOA-colors or Viggen camo, and it's the venerable 39A #39131, a machine that I serviced numerous during my year as a conscripted air force mechanic.

It looks like this, and flew a few flights in ths paintscheme, notably the Christmas formation in 2013.

http://www.ipmsstockholm.se/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=2209

jetbok_6.jpg

The aircraft still exists, but as an instructional airframe, still wearing these colors.

Quite beautiful!

• Like 2

I think it's a bit older kit, but that or Revell's will suffice for the cause of doing a J 26.

Otherwise a Tamiya would be nice to have! :)

Yeah it's pretty nice with that 2 tone grey camo! I also want to make a splinter camo. 

Now that I've watched Christer do a splinter camo in one weekend, I got a better idea of how to go about doing it. :)

Cool Gripen with splinter camo! Would be nice to do! Are there decals for such a craft?

Håkan

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Christer A said:

A Draken, Viggen and Gripen in grey is quite striking!

None of the colors are they same for them, så tey will all have a different set of greys.

That photo of a Gripen is unfortunatly a Photoshop job.

Only one Gripen has ever been painted in the famous FOA-colors or Viggen camo, and it's the venerable 39A #39131, a machine that I serviced numerous during my year as a conscripted air force mechanic.

It looks like this, and flew a few flights in ths paintscheme, notably the Christmas formation in 2013.

http://www.ipmsstockholm.se/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=2209

The aircraft still exists, but as an instructional airframe, still wearing these colors.

Quite beautiful!

Hello Christer.

Thanks for this. I had no idea that photo was edited with photoshop. :)

I am looking at my model and wondering how to attach a pitot to the tail fin. My concern is that not having included it earlier, I am now looking at an area that is painted with decals around it, and is a small point from where the pitot extends.

How would you, or Hakan if he is reading this, go about it? I have "ham hands" and worry I may damage the model at this late date of assembly.

Many thanks.

Edited by Ham Hands
Typo.

6 hours ago, Azgaron said:

I think it's a bit older kit, but that or Revell's will suffice for the cause of doing a J 26.

Otherwise a Tamiya would be nice to have! :)

Yeah it's pretty nice with that 2 tone grey camo! I also want to make a splinter camo. 

Now that I've watched Christer do a splinter camo in one weekend, I got a better idea of how to go about doing it. :)

Cool Gripen with splinter camo! Would be nice to do! Are there decals for such a craft?

Håkan

Hello Håkan.

The Tamiya P-51 is very nice. I have one here. I will dress mine in RAAF colours. Hard to resist an Aussie mustang. :)

Is there a link to Christer's instructions for the splinter camouflage?

Moose republic has two sheets that may help build the splinter gripen. 1 sheet of unit badges and another of codes. The codes are shown in yellow on the site. Unsure if the red as seen on the gripen's fin are available. If not those numbers are fairly easy to mask for someone of your ability, so it may be possible. :)

Yellow codes.

Unit badges.

I hope this helps. 

You can always send him an email: [email protected]

Sorry, I have no good idea how to attach the fin pitot either. I have draken or two in almost the same stage and I need to do it as well.

It's probably better to drill a hole before assembly, something that I need to do in my next Draken, whenever I get round to it.

A funny thing about the splinter Gripen, it seems as they also repainted the stencils at the same time. One would have to nick those from a Viggen sheet I think.

• Like 1

Hello Christer.

I just discovered I have broken the small fin pitot off my gripen. So I will be able to practice on the gripen. I have some evergreen rods so I will fashion something.

M.R. has a sheet of viggen stencils that could be utilized if building the splinter gripen.

Speaking of decals, there's a few more on the draken. 

(The bench has been busy and needs to be tidied. )

N2ItuE.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ham Hands said:

Hello Håkan.

The Tamiya P-51 is very nice. I have one here. I will dress mine in RAAF colours. Hard to resist an Aussie mustang. :)

Is there a link to Christer's instructions for the splinter camouflage?

Moose republic has two sheets that may help build the splinter gripen. 1 sheet of unit badges and another of codes. The codes are shown in yellow on the site. Unsure if the red as seen on the gripen's fin are available. If not those numbers are fairly easy to mask for someone of your ability, so it may be possible. :)

Yellow codes.

Unit badges.

I hope this helps. 

You can always send him an email: [email protected]

Yes, their kits are very nice with nice details and very good fit. Will get one eventually. Understandable! Nice with an Aussie Mustang! :)

Christer was at the same "camp" as I, and I sat close and could easily see what he did, when not occupied with my own build.

His Wif build with splinter camo is here somewhere.

Thanks for the links! Those decals would be very useful to have. 

Adding a small pitot there is no esay task, painted or not, but perhaps carfully drilling a small hole will do the trick. Bloody small area to drill on though! :)

Nice work with the decals! Getting there! :)

Håkan