Saab j-35 Draken 1/48 Hasegawa. {Changed from Fr-35} Italeri gripen added to build.

Today I began this model while waiting for other works to dry and set. This model is a shake n bake model. I expect to complete this very quickly.

I began this at 6.00 AM this morning and worked on it in between working on my He-162. At time of posting it is 2.06 PM.

I am using Eduard photo etch, Maestro models resin nose and decals.

PcOwpe.jpg

3cd7Oi.jpg

oquKS9.jpg

Xl5aQp.jpg

LzzuJZ.jpg

Edited by Ham Hands
Added subject.
  • Like 6

looks very nice!

RF-35 is a great choice!

which one will it be? the Christmas present ;)

just on remark:

landing gear struts were usually white on Danish Drakens I think!

I sure @Jens and   @Bjorn

will join soon!

cheers,

Werner

• Like 1

4 hours ago, exdraken said:

looks very nice!

RF-35 is a great choice!

which one will it be? the Christmas present ;)

just on remark:

landing gear struts were usually white on Danish Drakens I think!

I sure @Jens and   @Bjorn

will join soon!

cheers,

Werner

Hello Werner.

Thanks very much. I am now considering using the kit decals and saving the resin and decals for a later build. I'd like to do a Swedish bird before dressing a draken in another nation's colours. (I am building a P-51 in Swedish colours as well and plan a Swedish spitfire soon after. I also have a J-29 planned. I have a soft spot for Swedish subjects.) 

I managed to get in a little more time. (I am still getting to grips with my new phones camera)

Thanks for looking.

79Qks6.jpg

QQ2MKT.jpg

ZSOd47.jpg

• Like 9

Day # 2.

I decided to do a kit A/C. I need some extras to build a Danish recon bird. I have ordered those extras and another draken. I am enjoying this kit very much and will happily build another, which will be a more detailed model.

lnC8ML.jpg

PYHN18.jpg

AwHwBY.jpg

JibM1S.jpg

Edited by Ham Hands
  • Like 6

Nice and fast progress!

This is the first time I have seen the usual Eduard off-coloured PE parts make sense; I have counted seven shades of green in the cockpit of a Danish RF-35, ;)

Jens

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Looking good! :)

Håkan

Thank you. The kit is a joy to build.

47 minutes ago, Jens said:

Nice and fast progress!

This is the first time I have seen the usual Eduard off-coloured PE parts make sense; I have counted seven shades of green in the cockpit of a Danish RF-35, ;)

Jens

Thanks.

The Swedish IPMS site has great photos.

DSC4497.jpg

DSC4557.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ham Hands said:

Thank you. The kit is a joy to build.

Thanks.

The Swedish IPMS site has great photos.

Yeah, I have an ongoing build, that I will get back to soon hopefully! :)

Nice pics! :)

Håkan

• Like 1

Here is the link.

I am interested to see your draken. I am also looking forward to doing my next draken, which will be the model I originally planned. Normally I'd have waited for the arrestor hook and tail to arrive but I was having too much fun to stop. 

Thanks for the link! :)

I can put my build here, as far as I've come.

Håkan

• Like 1

Day 3.

I sanded off the little plastic sensor on the starboard side of the cockpit and replaced it with a pin. I also installed a needle pitot from within, secured with cold weld glue.

mwnG4q.jpg

Edited by Ham Hands
  • Like 1

Thank you very much.

I must take a day off due to work. Hopefully back to it straight after.

Are you enjoying your kit? I am having so much fun I put my little He-162, which is ready for it's camo, to the side while I complete my draken. I am looking forward to the Aires tail assembly arriving so I can do the bird I'd originally planned. I honestly don't think I have enjoyed a model as much as this one. I will also get the Aires cockpit set. I know there are wheels available, but I sanded down and painted the kit wheels and they look fine.  

Superb kit IMHO.

It's a pretty nice kit that's builds pretty easily to, and I've enjoyed it so far.

I had the intention to build it fairly quick, but a lack of colors, had it come to a stop, where I ended up building other kits.

Got the colors now, so soon time to get cracking with this build again.

Håkan

• Like 1

Great. I look forward to seeing it. I must mix the paints for mine. I have the Hobby color converter app on my phone. It is great because it shows the colour needed. If one cannot get the paint rcommended, there is a bright colourful pic' to mix too. Very handy. 

Hobby color converter app

Here's a photo of the wheels ATM. I am still working on them, but a pic' colours the post. :)

ptA3l4.jpg

• Like 1

Looking great - and here I am, @exdraken :) Just a small remark: The seat looks excellent, but is painted like a Danish TF-35 front seat. Swedish Drakens were unpainted aluminium. When painting, I would recommend you to use lots of references since Drakens changed colour pretty much when weathered. And wheels look superb! I am - of course - following this with great interest.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bjorn said:

Looking great - and here I am, @exdraken :) Just a small remark: The seat looks excellent, but is painted like a Danish TF-35 front seat. Swedish Drakens were unpainted aluminium. When painting, I would recommend you to use lots of references since Drakens changed colour pretty much when weathered. And wheels look superb! I am - of course - following this with great interest.

That's my version of Alclad aluminium. :)

(The seat appears darker in the photo than it is.)

Don't mind me. I'm hopeless. I dropped the Draken last night. Currrently repairing it. :) (NOTE to self: Don't work on a model past 2.30 AM!!!)

• Sad 1

Work is ongoing after two set backs, dropped the thing, fitted incorrect part etc. All corrected now and following my ham handed efforts I repainted the main gear. I matched the paint, (as best I could) to the IPMS Sweden Draken walk around photos. The green is a mix of Tamiya IJN green, and Tamiya RAF dark green.

YNhTc8.jpg

Here is a photo I used from the walk around.

P7260123.jpg

Edited by Ham Hands
Added photo.
  • Like 2