1/76 RAF Emergency Set +++ COMPLETED +++

After the gloss had COMPLETELY DRIED I dusted on a sandy wash - with the airbrush, rather than the hairy stick...

RAFE246.jpg

RAFE248.jpg

RAFE250.jpg

RAFE252.jpg

RAFE253.jpg

RAFE255.jpg

...getting there - slowly but surely...

• Like 7

When the sand had dried it was time for the final gloss - to seal it all in - the finish line is in sight...

The roof looks subtle - a bit of dirt and a bit of dust...

RAFE256.jpg

The door handles now have some definition...

RAFE257.jpg

The sides look grubbier at the bottom than the top - which you would expect...

RAFE258.jpg

RAFE259.jpg

RAFE260.jpg

The final matt coat will make it all look 'dustier' - but I was happy with the level of 'grime' at this stage - so I left them all to dry off properly again...

RAFE261.jpg

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

I am liking what you have done with these Steve and I am curious as to which 'wash' you used to get the worn look.

Look forward to seeing these completed as they are really coming together now.

Ian

Hi Ian,  I use the Flory washes - water based - wipe the excess of with a damp cotton bud or tissue - very easy to use - but you do need to make sure you only varnish lightly or you can move the wash around too much.  They can be applied with a brush or an airbrush.  As you can see I'm not very good with them yet - but I'm learning with every kit and getting a bit better each time - which is encouraging.

• Like 3

When the gloss had dried I decided to glue the stowage into the back of the 'open' truck.  Any leaks of 'glossy' glue could then be disguised by the matt coat.

RAFE262.jpg

RAFE264.jpg

I  think the little 'tool roll' has done well to disguise that nasty sink mark...

RAFE263.jpg

• Like 2

Time for the lorry drivers and their passengers to get firmly glued to their seats...

RAFE265.jpg

...then on with the cabs - fingers crossed I filed them doen enough - so they don't it the roof...

RAFE266.jpg

RAFE267.jpg

RAFE268.jpg

RAFE269.jpg

• Like 4

Same story for the covered lorry...

RAFE270.jpg

RAFE271.jpg

Then onto the ambulance drivers...

RAFE272.jpg

RAFE273.jpg

RAFE274.jpg

...just about time for the matt coat - nearly there now :D

• Like 7

I pondered whether to leave the headlights as if they had been blanked off - but I couldn't resist adding some 'headlights'...

BEFORE...

RAFE275.jpg

AFTER...

RAFE276.jpg

Boy they are bright - I did the lorries too...

RAFE277.jpg

RAFE278.jpg

These guys won't get lost in the dark :lol:

• Like 5

Right the matt varnish is on and I have inserted windscreens into the ambulances - so I think I'm done on this one...

RAFE281.jpg

RAFE282.jpg

RAFE283.jpg

...I just need to figure out how to photograph 4 vehicles - with a limit of 5 shots in the gallery.

Thanks for all the support everyone - this one has been a lot of fun - and thanks for looking in - Steve 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

Steve

Purely for curiosity sake, would you photograph the K6 lorries with the canopy on the other vehicle and the other with the Stores in it ??

Ian

Hi Ian - that is what I'm 'trying' to do...  I've just been having some fun and trying to get some photos - here are some of the K6 conversions...

RAFF03.jpg

RAFF04.jpg

RAFF05.jpg

RAFF06.jpg

RAFF07.jpg

...if I try and get 'too much in' I lose any detail though - which is not always a bad thing on my builds :doh: :lol:

• Like 7

...and a few more...

RAFF16.jpg

RAFF17.jpg

RAFF18.jpg

Now I just need to sort some for the gallery - but it's getting late - so I'll leave that for the morning.

Thanks again for taking the time to have a look - its appreciated - Steve

• Like 5

Wowzers!!

you should maybe do 2 gallery entries - one for each as right enough i don't think you'll get a view of all the work put in if all are photographed together.

so long as it's on the bridge dio so i can see more of that! 😁

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Wowzers!!

you should maybe do 2 gallery entries - one for each as right enough i don't think you'll get a view of all the work put in if all are photographed together.

Yes, you started with two separate kits (note for the stats, Dave (Rabbit Leader)), so it's logical that you get two Gallery entries - the kits can be presented to best effect (code for going mad as usual!) Nothing in the Rules against this. Fantastic builds. Cheers. Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Wowzers!!

11 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

Yes, you started with two separate kits (note for the stats, Dave (Rabbit Leader)), so it's logical that you get two Gallery entries - the kits can be presented to best effect (code for going mad as usual!) Nothing in the Rules against this. Fantastic builds. Cheers. Mike

Thanks guys - I was struggling badly last night to try and squeeze them all into one shot - though that could have been the wine and my poor skills with an i-phone - here is an example...

IMG_3897.jpg

...you get detail on a couple and the others always appear to far away...

I will go and choose some shots and get them up in the gallery in a short while. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, John D.C. Masters said:

What fun!  Admirable job sir!

Thanks John - in the true spirit of the GB I have reverted back to my childhood - don't worry though - I am seeking therapy :mental: :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• BIG X changed the title to 1/76 RAF Emergency Set +++ COMPLETED +++

Too many words to read through at the moment, however certainly a thread to bookmark a savour for another day. These images are honestly true works of modelling art and the final finished results and weathering techniques are amazingly lifelike. I’m out of written words to praise your masssive activities during this GB period. 

I bow to your stunning modelling successes. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just did a quick catch-up and am really impressed with the finish you've achieved on all the vehicles. The full diorama is brilliant and I love the way it has grown. Top work, really well documented too there are certainly quite a few techniques I keen to try out on future builds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely fabulous work Steve. Being a bit of a 'Wingy Thing Nut', I hadn't realised there was so much involved to vehicle identification, I have learnt a lot of new stuff whilst reading through these GB threads. Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

Excellent builds and your weathering really sets them off nicely, particularly the sides on the K2s!!

That's a truly impressive amount of builds for this GB!!

The canal diorama makes a fantastically atmospheric backdrop to photograph each new build on.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1