1/76 RAF Emergency Set +++ COMPLETED +++

I also gave the drivers and passengers a quick wash - to highlight the meagre uniform detail...

RAFE190.jpg

...and tried another photo to show the shading on the canvas...

RAFE187.jpg

This still needs a wash into the 'wrinkly' bits.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

They are all looking good though . .  .  wash and go . . .  ha

Or in the case of some modellers...  go and wash... ha :lol:

• Haha 4

When it came to the K6s I had a 'bit of a mare'.  They should have L codes on the doors - but literally all the 'L' decals that Ben sent me fell to bits - I can only put it down to the fact that I was working in very warm direct sunlight and the setting solutions were drying very quickly.

Here is what wiki says about codes...

A = Ambulance

C = Motorcycle

D = Dragons (tracked towing vehicles)

E = Engineer vehicles (bulldozers)

F = Armoured scout car or armoured car

H = Tractor (artillery tractor)

L = Lorry (30cwt or heavier)

M = Car (including Jeep)

P = Amphibious

R = Rota trailer

S = Self-propelled artillery

T = Tracked vehicles (tank and universal carriers)

V = Van

X = Trailers

Z = Truck (15cwt and smaller), white scout car, halftrack

Now there were plenty of H decals in the bag - so what the hell - they are now categorized as artillery tractors - the Hs are only 0.4mm anyway - so if you squint you can't tell :whistle:

RAFE200.jpg

RAFE201.jpg

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

When I went to look for some RASC 82s - there weren't any on my sheets - so they are now 83s - which makes them general trucks used by 159 INFANTRY BRIGADE - that's all the infantry regiments in the division as a group.

RAFE199.jpg

RAFE202.jpg

Finally - I also found this HUGE sink mark on both bulkheads that wasn't apparent before the gloss went on.... :oops:

RAFE204.jpg

I wonder if I can find something suitable to hide it - I'm off for a look - catch you in a bit - Steve

• Like 9

I love that.

C = Motorcycle

M = Car

Just as well the same bod didn't do the 'learning the alphabet' posters in infant schools.

A is for Orange

B is for Cow

C is for Bull

Military logic at its finest.

Edited by Gorby
addition
  • Haha 9

After the 'difficulties' with the K6s things are looking up a bit - I've found a couple of these that could potentially hide those sink marks...

RAFE205.jpg

...a kind of 'tool roll' - what do you think...

• Like 7

15 hours ago, badger said:

I think RASC would be the most likely choice and they'd probably be loaded with stores, fuel or ammo.

Whilst looking for those tool rolls I think I've found some suitable 'stowage' for the open truck...

RAFE203.jpg

...a bit of painting required - but a 'bit of interest' for an empty truck.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, BIG X said:

They are the vents for the ambulance roof - which I had several concerns about.  They have to go on after the decal and I was worried that the red of the decal may not match with my red vallejo.  The other concern - which I have with any part that has a 'pit' on the surface  for the part to sit in was - not enough glue means they fall off - too much glue and it splodges out around the part. 

So I 'very carefully' drilled through the decal and the roof...

Steve, have you tried this Gator Grip Thin Blend, it's good for those tricky little jobs like the one you had with the vents, You can also use it for etch details and canopies and it dries clear.

Anyway, back to catching up on your progress.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Busy Day - I'm attempting a 2 part wash on this build - panel lines etc first - followed by a sealing varnish and then a general sandy wash.  I started on the cabs - just slap it on...

RAFE206.jpg

RAFE207.jpg

RAFE208.jpg

RAFE209.jpg

Then it was time to swab it off - leaving just 'hints' here and there...

RAFE212.jpg

RAFE211.jpg

RAFE210.jpg

RAFE213.jpg

I hope that has worked - time will tell.

• Like 7

The it was on to the K6 chassis - plenty of recesses here to fill...

RAFE215.jpg

RAFE216.jpg

...hmmm that wheel is going to need some attention...

RAFE217.jpg

RAFE218.jpg

RAFE219.jpg

Then swabbing time again - all a bit time consuming - considering it will all get repeated later - but I might as well try my best...

RAFE220.jpg

RAFE221.jpg

RAFE223.jpg

RAFE222.jpg

RAFE224.jpg

...and I've still got the KATYs to do :doh:

• Like 5

To relieve the boredom I did some work on the 'stowage'.  Here we have a 'wooden' box - you can tell by the 'grain'...

RAFE225.jpg

...its a little 'pronounced' - but what the hell.

Then we have a rack of fuel cans...

RAFE228.jpg

...yeh  I know the caps shouldn't be brass - but it adds a bit colour and it will dull down with the matt coat at the end.

These random wooden chests - who knows what is in them - but they have lovely hinges...

RAFE227.jpg

...and finally we have those tools rolls and an extra jerry can - I painted the rope around the rolls - but it will probably disappear under the washes.

RAFE226.jpg

...not the sharpest shot in the world - but not the neatest painting either ;)

• Like 5

Last job of the day - getting the KATYs 'dirty'...

RAFE229.jpg

RAFE230.jpg

I'll clean them up in the morning - I'm bushed.

Thanks for stopping by - Steve

• Like 6

A very productive day there with excellent progress.

Sorry to hear about the decal issues. I wonder why they did that as they've been kept warm and dry (and are not that old). Good recovery though.

All the best

Ben 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, badger said:

A very productive day there with excellent progress.

Sorry to hear about the decal issues. I wonder why they did that as they've been kept warm and dry (and are not that old). Good recovery though.

All the best

Ben 

Hi Ben - I'm 99 percent certain it was my fault - rather than the decals themselves - the microsol was 'evaporating' from the paint surface as I was fiddling around trying to get the numbers parallel to the seam on the top of the door frame.  This caused the decals to tear apart.  Not to worry though as I got there in the end and thanks again for getting them to me.  I must 'invest' in some of those Mike Starmer ones you mentioned.

Tomorrow / Today should be another busy one - before and after I have completed a trip to deliver a load of birthday cards to various members of the extended family.

• Like 2

Seems like my usual refrain, I've just had a catch up on this, I do like what you're doing here, the Katys especially, my Dad was an army doctor throughout WW2, through Belgium & Germany with the 53rd Welsh Div later in the war & woud have been well aquainted with Katys. I have some of these sets squirreled away but its still a bit the dark side to me. I guess I really should pay more attention. :)

Steve.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stevehnz said:

Seems like my usual refrain, I've just had a catch up on this, I do like what you're doing here, the Katys especially, my Dad was an army doctor throughout WW2, through Belgium & Germany with the 53rd Welsh Div later in the war & woud have been well aquainted with Katys. I have some of these sets squirreled away but its still a bit the dark side to me. I guess I really should pay more attention. :)

Steve.

Hey Steve - They have been great fun actually or maybe I'm just a sucker for punishment.  At 1/72 they can be tough on the eyes and a real challenge for my sausage fingers - but worth the effort.  I  really want to try and finish them in the next day or so - but there is always - one more job to do - or so it seems.

• Like 3

Many excellent details being added here, Steve, including the education on truck identification etc. It seems you have got all the kit sorted out for 'this 'orrible bunch'! Any plans for teapots and tin mugs for 'the brew'? (if you remember, in Ice Cold in Alex, the 'South African' tripped up and a seed of suspicion was sown when asked to help with brewing the tea after a bone-jarring day's travel in the KATY. Just thinking..... Enjoying your build. Cheers. Mike.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Time for an update...  I did some work yesterday - but didn't get any time to post anything - so we are playing catch up again.

With the dark dirt on I decided to add some sandy mud to the tyres...

RAFE231.jpg

RAFE232.jpg

Then it was gloss varnish time - to seal the dark dirt - so it won't mix with the sandy coat to come - gloss at the ready...

RAFE233.jpg

RAFE234.jpg

I wasn't happy with the clarity of the door handles - but they do get better...

RAFE235.jpg

RAFE236.jpg

I'm not over happy with the edge around that 90 - but it is sealed in now - too late...

• Like 5

...oops - nearly forgot about the washes for the stowage...

RAFE243.jpg

RAFE245.jpg

RAFE244.jpg

I'm loving this comedy woodgrain - it might be made from driftwood I suppose.

• Like 5