1/76 RAF Emergency Set +++ COMPLETED +++

By 10pm the gloss had dried enough to 'have a mess' - the Mars Bar is now loaded for delivery...

RAFE175.jpg

...I  think this shows the shading 'slightly better'.

Now was it too late for a bit of decaling - had I had too much wine - stuff it thought - lets get started...

So it was on with the number 9s - well Mars Bars are heavy...

RAFE177.jpg

and the 5s for the KATYs...

RAFE178.jpg

I am probably going to use some little lenses for the headlights - a bit fiddly - but I liked them on my Jeeps and Cromwells.

• Like 5

The final job for the night was a few of the red crosses.  Now I have 'previous' for putting to many decals on at once and sliding them all over the place - so I will proceed with caution.

I  got one of the sides done...

RAFE179.jpg

Then it was on to the BIG decal for the roof...

RAFE180.jpg

Looking at the instruction sheet I  thought 2 quite large crosses on the roof was overkill - but then I  reverted back to my references...

RAFE181.jpg

NO - 2 it is then...

This morning - before setting off for work I had a quick peek...

RAFE183.jpg

They have dried nicely - so more progress tonight hopefully - and maybe not as much wine perhaps.

• Like 6

All this detailing is looking excellent, Steve and the KATY's and land-DUKW-things (have you come up with a name yet?) are looking ready to roll. I must check that Dave (Rabbit Leader) is crediting you with 2 builds for this one. Build on! Cheers. Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

All this detailing is looking excellent, Steve and the KATY's and land-DUKW-things (have you come up with a name yet?) are looking ready to roll. I must check that Dave (Rabbit Leader) is crediting you with 2 builds for this one. Build on! Cheers. Mike

Hey Mike - It really is only one build - you get 1 of each in the kit.  Then again I suppose I'm building 2 of both so maybe it's 2 - it gets confusing.  It would be nice if I  could put them in the gallery as 2 entries though - 2 KATYs and then the 2 K6s - just so I don't overshoot the photo limit of 5.

Anyway - the land-DUKW-thing is really just a K6 with a low canvas - I think it may be carrying a new SECRET WEAPON - hence it being covered - who knows - maybe it's just full of Mars Bars for the troops.

Speaking of DUKWs though - I'm busy watching my expected delivery on the Amazon tracker as we speak - not Airfix I'm afraid - but something for the winter nights to come.

As I ordered three I may mount them on the wall in the office - like Hilda did in Corrie...

Hilda+flying+ducks+later.jpg 

• Haha 5

I knew I'd forgotten something in excitement of watching the tracker on Amazon...

THE PENNY SHOT - We haven't had one in this build - so @Gorby & @Lawzer this is for you guys...

RAFE182.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, BIG X said:

So - to keep myself 'amused' I fished out that Sherman Crab - firstly with the intention of just looking what decals it came with...

RAFE161.jpg

I love the artwork on this - so I undid the bag and laid all the bits out...

RAFE162.jpg

Hmmm...  Not a lot to it...  Classic Airfix...  Around 1960 I think....  Rubber tracks - I've never done rubber tracks...  Could I finish it in 3 weeks though???

The instructions seem pretty simple...

RAFE163.jpg

RAFE164.jpg

RAFE165.jpg

RAFE166.jpg

I went down for a glass of wine and a ponder - I wonder what my good mate @badger would say...

Well for a starter - that's not the US Army!!  The markings are for 79th Armoured Division British Army! Not sure the American's used these as they had their own versions

• Like 4

1 minute ago, badger said:

Well for a starter - that's not the US Army!!  The markings are for 79th Armoured Division British Army! Not sure the American's used these as they had their own versions

Well it's a good job I'm not following their instructions then :doh: Well spotted Ben and shame on you AIRFIX.

• Haha 3

WOOHOO - The DUKWs have arrived...

RAFE184.jpg

RAFE185.jpg

So many toys and so little time...

The British scheme looks easy enough - nice moulding of everything too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, badger said:

The DUKW is a really nice kit. I have a part finished one I really must complete

IMG_20170913_222904[1]

All the best

Ben

Fantastic 'stowage' Ben.  Those are the kind of details that really 'lift' a kit.  The DUKW's look really good - but I've a few other things to finish first.  I really must learn to keep my hands in my pockets and not my wallet :doh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 19:49, badger said:

Sorry can't do a winning lottery ticket but can do a decal sheet for the IBG Bedford QLT / QLD (it's the same sheet in both kits so I'll only need one) which has two different "L" numbers and a selection of bonnet sized stars.

It'll be in the post tomorrow, along with a few other surplus to requirements sheets to replenish your stock 

All the best

Ben

Well I've been out and about seeing customers in North Wales and Cheshire today - actually doing some 'real work' - well chatting mostly - but that is what they pay me for...

Anyway I've just arrived home and found a 'STACK' of various serial numbers - for all kinds of vehicles - sat on the door mat.

THANKS BEN - IT HAS BEEN SAID BEFORE - BUT...

YOU ARE A REAL STAR - THANKS A MILLION

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I've said it before....I think we (the wing people) have lost you to the ground based folks 😆

Only jesting sir....

unless you want to sell me some of your stock of 1/48 109's?.....

loving this build....got the big x trademark all over it....👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lawzer said:

I've said it before....I think we (the wing people) have lost you to the ground based folks 😆

Only jesting sir....

unless you want to sell me some of your stock of 1/48 109's?.....

loving this build....got the big x trademark all over it....👍

Thanks Ian - I will be returning to those wingy things at some point - I HAVE TO - the cupboard and loft are getting pretty full :doh:

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, BIG X said:

A quick question for the armour experts - if I may...

Which 11th armoured arms might have use for a couple of flat bed trucks...

ARMOUR_001.jpg

...any thoughts - @Sgt.Squarehead @badger

Just caught me as I'm heading to bed - I think RASC would be most likely, possibly an 82 on a split red/blue square.

Hope that helps

Ben

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, badger said:

Just caught me as I'm heading to bed - I think RASC would be most likely, possibly an 82 on a split red/blue square.

Hope that helps

Ben

I'm guessing you've gone to bed now Ben - so this is for in the morning...  I was guessing you might say that - no hoping you might say that...  I found this great recruiting poster for the RASC...

Army_Service_Corps_recruiting_poster_191

• Like 5

20 hours ago, BIG X said:

I'm guessing you've gone to bed now Ben - so this is for in the morning...  I was guessing you might say that - no hoping you might say that...  I found this great recruiting poster for the RASC...

Army_Service_Corps_recruiting_poster_191

That's a very cool poster.

I think RASC would be the most likely choice and they'd probably be loaded with stores, fuel or ammo.

All the best

Ben

• Thanks 1

Happy Saturday folks.  With just 3 weeks to go on the GB I need to get a wriggle on...

I got the rest of the red crosses on...

RAFE188.jpg

...they may look BIG but accurate for the time period.

The back doors were last and I was tempted to just put one cross on - spanning both doors...

RAFE189.jpg

But checking on wikipedia here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_military_vehicle_markings_of_World_War_II#Ambulance

I found this reference - Ambulance - Conforming with international recognition, a white square of maximum size for vehicle on roof and both sides with a red cross. At rear on each door a white 18 inch circle with red cross.

Now US ambulances used the square background - but British vehicles used a circular background.  I  like the way it states 'of maximum size'.  And it does state 'each door' - which makes sense - as if one door was open then it wouldn't show a full red cross - hence the two crosses.

So 2 it was...

RAFE191.jpg

They needed supporting upright as I had to 'flood' the decals to get the rear door handle detail to stand out under the decals.

• Like 2

The very final crosses were not supplied with the kits - but 'butchered' from a generic skytrex set.  The were for the little roundels at the front and back edges of the roof...

RAFE192.jpg 

..they were a bit tiny...

RAFE193.jpg

...fiddly.

• Like 2

Maximum size?

If I was driving an unarmed ambulance around with Jabo's and snipers and tanks and artillery anywhere near,

I would want HUGE red crosses. And flags. And loudhailers proclaiming my mission!

• Haha 2

I almost forgot these - or was ignoring them - hoping they might go away...

RAFE194.jpg

They are the vents for the ambulance roof - which I had several concerns about.  They have to go on after the decal and I was worried that the red of the decal may not match with my red vallejo.  The other concern - which I have with any part that has a 'pit' on the surface  for the part to sit in was - not enough glue means they fall off - too much glue and it splodges out around the part.

So I 'very carefully' drilled through the decal and the roof...

RAFE195.jpg

...and glued them from the underside...

RAFE196.jpg

I think I got away with the colour.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Maximum size?

If I was driving an unarmed ambulance around with Jabo's and snipers and tanks and artillery anywhere near,

I would want HUGE red crosses. And flags. And loudhailers proclaiming my mission!

Loud hailers...  No you need an ice cream van type jingle playing something suitable.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

At first sight I thought it was some weird lizard's head!

Glad you explained.

...or some strange red space alien from the muppets...

• Haha 2

The final job on the ambulances was adding the black bulls and the black 90s for the 18th light field ambulance regiment.

RAFE197.jpg

Don't panic - they did get a lick of the red microsol / microset stuff to help 'dissolve' the excess carrier film. 

At the back I was dismayed to find I had put the crosses on as per the instructions - which left no room for the markings on the doors - luckily the mud flaps had little recessed panels that were perfect for the job...

RAFE198.jpg

You can also see that door handle detail here.

• Like 5