1/76 RAF Emergency Set +++ COMPLETED +++

1 minute ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Just wonderful modelling taking place here.. all expected of course but the attention to detail is just superb. 

Now will everyone please stop posting these excellent kits - my wallet (& loving wife) are not exactly coping at the moment and as for the kids, I'm sure I fed them sometime last week! 

Cheers.. Dave  

Thanks Dave - I'm not sure about 'attention to detail' - I tend to ignore 'real' details and just make my own up as I go along :whistle:  As for 'excellent kits' - its actually a bit disappointing - until...

...you remember it's CLASSIC AIRFIX - then you'll forgive it virtually anything and learn to love it as you work your way through.  Thanks again for all your hard work on the admin side of GB - you are a :star:

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, badger said:

Looking good.

I think a small star on the bonnet for the K6 and a white "L" number on the doors maybe?

All the best

Ben

A small star - with or without a circle - what do you think...

...as for a 'L' serial on the doors - I'm beggared I think on this one - I don't have any serials hanging about and I'm not using those black backed things that come with the kits.  Time to locate some 'generic' 1/72 serials from somewhere - any ideas my JEDI MASTER...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BIG X said:

A small star - with or without a circle - what do you think...

...as for a 'L' serial on the doors - I'm beggared I think on this one - I don't have any serials hanging about and I'm not using those black backed things that come with the kits.  Time to locate some 'generic' 1/72 serials from somewhere - any ideas my JEDI MASTER...

How about one with a circle and one without?

For the "L" numbers could you use a "T" number, cut the "T" off, trim one side of the top off, and apply it upside down to form an "L"?

Bit fiddly but a workable dodge?

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, badger said:

How about one with a circle and one without?

For the "L" numbers could you use a "T" number, cut the "T" off, trim one side of the top off, and apply it upside down to form an "L"?

Bit fiddly but a workable dodge?

All the best

Ben

Workable indeed - but I'm right of serial numbers...

• Sad 2

Actually @badger - I am talking complete and utter rubbish...

I have some unopened kits that might yield a few decals that could be 'altered' to suit my needs...

3 x 761-large1.jpg

3 x mt24.jpg

1 x Airfix-02320-SHERMAN-CRAB-TANK-1-72.jpg

The trouble is I have no idea what's in the boxes until I get home and dig them out - fingers crossed eh...

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Actually @badger - I am talking complete and utter rubbish...

I have some unopened kits that might yield a few decals that could be 'altered' to suit my needs...

The trouble is I have no idea what's in the boxes until I get home and dig them out - fingers crossed eh...

I'll have a hunt for you when I get home - should have some spares.

Anything else you need?

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, badger said:

Anything else you need?

...if you come across a winning lotto ticket - let me know :lol:

But seriously - thanks mate.

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, BIG X said:

...if you come across a winning lotto ticket - let me know :lol:

But seriously - thanks mate.

Sorry can't do a winning lottery ticket but can do a decal sheet for the IBG Bedford QLT / QLD (it's the same sheet in both kits so I'll only need one) which has two different "L" numbers and a selection of bonnet sized stars.

It'll be in the post tomorrow, along with a few other surplus to requirements sheets to replenish your stock 

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

1 hour ago, badger said:

Sorry can't do a winning lottery ticket but can do a decal sheet for the IBG Bedford QLT / QLD (it's the same sheet in both kits so I'll only need one) which has two different "L" numbers and a selection of bonnet sized stars.

It'll be in the post tomorrow, along with a few other surplus to requirements sheets to replenish your stock 

All the best

Ben

WOW - MY HERO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been 'shading' my canvas canopy tonight - and remembered to paint the rolled up canvas doors a 'slightly' different colour too - so they stand out a bit.

Then it was a full gloss coat of everything - which I'm leaving overnight - before starting on all those red crosses tomorrow night.  I'll leave the K6s until my 'present' arrives in the post from Badger Ben.

I did check the Hasegawa armoured cars and I'm very disappointed to say that both the Humbers and the Daimlers both have an identical decal sheet - LAZY BOYS at Hasegawa - SHAME ON YOU...

Now - this Airfix Sherman Crab - I checked the decals - which are nothing special - but neither is the kit - however...  I may just 'give it a go' - I'm pondering it overnight.  It's awful - but what a great opportunity to get it - out of the cupboard - has anybody tackled it and won - let me know.

• Like 2

Sarge Squarehead built / wrestled the Airfix non crab Sherman into submission some years ago as I remember.

I have the flail sprue somewhere which I might have a go at mounting on a different kit.

If I recall rightly it isn't the version Airfix claim it to be

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

1 minute ago, badger said:

Sarge Squarehead built / wrestled the Airfix non crab Sherman into submission some years ago as I remember.

I have the flail sprue somewhere which I might have a go at mounting on a different kit.

If I recall rightly it isn't the version Airfix claim it to be

All the best

Ben

I think it will be more for fun than 'historical accuracy' Ben - if you know what I mean :whistle:

As I mentioned earlier I know nothing about these particular 'funnies' - it could be mounted to a Mini Metro and I'd still believe it was accurate :lol:

• Haha 2

http://www.matadormodels.co.uk/tank_museum/zairfix_sherman_1.htm

Build notes for the Sherman

Crab build here on BM

More on building the Sherman

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/viewtopic.php%3ft=26354&amp=1

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, badger said:

Can you get a 1/72 metro as that would be hilarious!

HEY - That was my first car - back in 1984 - lovely little motor 4000 quid - BRAND NEW - sadly it fell to bits by 1991 - just as I bought my first house - massive mortgage and no motor - those were the days...

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, BIG X said:

HEY - That was my first car - back in 1984 - lovely little motor 4000 quid - BRAND NEW - sadly it fell to bits by 1991 - just as I bought my first house - massive mortgage and no motor - those were the days...

I shut the door on a mates once and the entire panel came off in my hand :cwl:

Mind you I had a 1988 £500 mk2 ford fiesta rustbucket that the bottom of the drivers door fell out of 🙄 as my first motor

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, badger said:

Mind you I had a 1988 £500 mk2 ford fiesta rustbucket that the bottom of the drivers door fell out of 🙄 as my first motor

It is amazing how much rain water these old car doors would hold - until they rusted through at the bottom - those were indeed the days my friend.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, BIG X said:

It is amazing how much rain water these old car doors would hold - until they rusted through at the bottom - those were indeed the days my friend.

Very true - all you needed to fix it was a screwdriver and a hammer.

Many a happy hour spent at the local scrappy on a saturday sourcing "upgrades" (like headrests, a radio console, etc).

I just replaced the entire door with a matching one from a wreck and swopped over the lock.

Can't do that now :sad:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, badger said:

Very true - all you needed to fix it was a screwdriver and a hammer.

Many a happy hour spent at the local scrappy on a saturday sourcing "upgrades" (like headrests, a radio console, etc).

I just replaced the entire door with a matching one from a wreck and swopped over the lock.

Can't do that now :sad:

indeed - you need a cray supercomputer to even find out what's wrong with a car these days.....

• Haha 4

Believe it or not - I did actually get some work done on these last night - in between 'chit chatting' about Mini Metros and Ford Fiestas...

Everything was laid out for a good blast of Humbrol Gloss...

RAFE155.jpg

...but first I had that shading job to do on the canopy...

RAFE156.jpg

...it looks a bit 'subtle' here - but it looked better later.  I am following a technique where you mist a lighter coloured coat along the ridges...

RAFE157.jpg

Now is it me - or does it look a 'bit like' a Mars Bar :lol:

• Like 5

The rest of the glossing went well...

RAFE158.jpg

RAFE159.jpg

RAFE160.jpg

...but it all needed to dry properly before decaling could commence.  With the disaster that @stevej60 had over the weekend with his Zero I decided it was best to play safe and give it a good 4 hours to dry and cure.

• Like 3

So - to keep myself 'amused' I fished out that Sherman Crab - firstly with the intention of just looking what decals it came with...

RAFE161.jpg

I love the artwork on this - so I undid the bag and laid all the bits out...

RAFE162.jpg

Hmmm...  Not a lot to it...  Classic Airfix...  Around 1960 I think....  Rubber tracks - I've never done rubber tracks...  Could I finish it in 3 weeks though???

The instructions seem pretty simple...

RAFE163.jpg

RAFE164.jpg

RAFE165.jpg

RAFE166.jpg

I went down for a glass of wine and a ponder - I wonder what my good mate @badger would say...

• Like 1

I also pulled this out of the cupboard - for a quick comparison...

RAFE167.jpg

I built one of these 3 as my very first tank build - they are 1/72 - compared to the Crab being 1/76...

RAFE168.jpg

RAFE169.jpg

RAFE170.jpg

This is the chassis for the M4A4 apparently...  Now messing around with Shermans is a dangerous thing - a bit like messing with Spitfires - there are loads of 'experten' on here and I could get shot if I make the wrong move - but hey - I'm only here for a bit of fun. ;)

• Like 2

So my mad idea is to take the flail from the Airfix kit and mount it on the PSC kit - one problem - size...

RAFE172.jpg

The Airfix kit width and hence the flail too is 34mm

RAFE171.jpg

The PSC kit is 4mm wider....

So I had another glass of wine and pondered some more.  The flail itself is pretty basic and the 'prongs' would need replacing anyway with some jewellery chain.  The other connecting spans are not really much more than a bit of rod - so it could be done.

@badger confirmed this and suggested that the Airfix kit - minus the flail could be entered into the GB as a COMMAND TANK - which sounds cool.  The 11th Armoured had one - so it looks like it might be a goer on both fronts.

• Like 1

Now I printed these a while back...

RAFE173.jpg

and when my LMS was closing I picked up a stack of these for £1 each - a good saving on the £1.80 they should have been...

RAFE174.jpg

A minefield AND barbed wire - my imagination was running wild - or was it the wine :blush:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1