1/76 RAF Emergency Set +++ COMPLETED +++

The couple of photos I have to hand of 4 ton lorries show a 9 on the bridging plate.

I found the following side plan of a K6 GS showing the body was metal with a vertical spare wheel locker at the front. Sadly thereis only the one view (taken from British WW2 military transport by David E Jane and used for discussion purposes only).

2018-08-24_09-33-19

• Like 3

Early production examples of the K6 had a wooden body, unusually with vertical planking.  This was also used on the Austin K5 4x4: there is a picture of one of these on D-Day with a bridge classification of 7, but this is a converted ex-portee, which may be relevant.  A photo of an arcticised K5 shows 9.  The Airfix QL comes as a 9, too.  Is it possible that the 6x4s had a slightly lower bridge classification because of the wider spreading of the load?  (This is claimed on canadiansoldiers.com.)

Wiki states that 3 ton GS were 7, with some petrol and office versions being 8, and the 6x4s being 9.  This doesn't appear to be completely convincing.  I've also seen it said that the bridges were 5 ton rated, 9 ton rated, or higher, rather than any with intermediate, lower, numbers.  This might suggest that 9 was given to lorries that could perhaps have been overloaded to reach this, in recognition of human frailties?  However in 1944  the equivalent lowest values were 5, 7 and 9, with additional higher intermediate ratings.

Edited by Graham Boak
second thoughts
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well I'm back on the air folks - thanks to a courier delivery ON A BANK HOLIDAY...

I can't believe they sent me a new power lead and that has fixed things - anyway I'm not complaining.  I did look in a few times over the weekend - on my mobile - but boy - I don't know how you guys actually 'contribute' via your phones - it took me all my time just to try and view some stuff and 'like' a couple of things.

However there is always an upside - I got loads done on Friday night / Saturday / Sunday...

On ‎24‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 21:47, badger said:

Just found this:

https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=18460

Expensive but very nice!

Might help with the layout of the rear bed for you?

Thanks for the link Ben - if you pop in later you'll see it all went a bit 'BIG X' around here and I've made my own truck beds... :mental:...of sorts...

On ‎24‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 22:00, Graham Boak said:

Early production examples of the K6 had a wooden body, unusually with vertical planking.  This was also used on the Austin K5 4x4: there is a picture of one of these on D-Day with a bridge classification of 7, but this is a converted ex-portee, which may be relevant.  A photo of an arcticised K5 shows 9.  The Airfix QL comes as a 9, too.  Is it possible that the 6x4s had a slightly lower bridge classification because of the wider spreading of the load?  (This is claimed on canadiansoldiers.com.)

Wiki states that 3 ton GS were 7, with some petrol and office versions being 8, and the 6x4s being 9.  This doesn't appear to be completely convincing.  I've also seen it said that the bridges were 5 ton rated, 9 ton rated, or higher, rather than any with intermediate, lower, numbers.  This might suggest that 9 was given to lorries that could perhaps have been overloaded to reach this, in recognition of human frailties?  However in 1944  the equivalent lowest values were 5, 7 and 9, with additional higher intermediate ratings.

Thanks Graham - I'm going with a '9' as I couldn't find any 8's :lol:

17 hours ago, zebra said:

More great work Big X. The wheels on cocktail sticks are like classic Airfix era party food, but I think the kebabs might have been a bit exotic back then!

Thanks Zebra - The wheels tasted lovely - but you always want more...

Anyway - time for a 'series' of updates - in 'chunks' - so as not to confuse anyone - least of all me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

FRIDAY NIGHT...

You may remember I had previously used my K6 drivers on my jeeps - but I had located some possible candidates...

RAFE047.jpg

from here...

RAFE047.jpg

The box has 3 kits with a total of 6 possible drivers and 6 passengers too...

RAFE094.jpg

RAFE095.jpg

As the cab is pretty bare I decided to get some passengers in too...

RAFE093.jpg

I like the fact that the drivers are holding steering wheels - which is easier than trying to fir the kit steering gear.  The problem when it comes to the KATYs though is the fact that these guys have no legs and the canvas doors on the KATYs are posed in the 'rolled' position. 

RAFE095_A.jpg

I did toy with the idea of making canvas doors with masking tape - but ended up gluing some tube on at their knees to give the 'impression' of legs...

RAFE095_B.jpg

I am sure that a blind man on a galloping horse would say they looked like legs :hobbyhorse:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The foil from the tops of wine bottles makes great tarpaulins etc so might work well to make some doors?

Great progress so far!

All the best

Ben

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SATURDAY MORNING...

Whilst the sprues for the PSC kits were still on the bench I had a look at the cargo bays for the CMPs - for some inspiration.  They have a base / front bulkhead / tailgate / 2 identical sides...

RAFE097.jpg

The problem was they were only half as long as I needed - then it hit me - what I glue 2 together...

RAFE101.jpg

I posed it with the PSC wheels 'loosely in place' to see the effect...

RAFE102.jpg

I had to shave the 'stumps' off at the front of each cab base - but it looked like a goer.  I only used one front and one back - and there was a gap in the middle - but I filled that with a piece of evergreen...

RAFE103.jpg

I really like the tailgate...

RAFE104.jpg

and the bulkhead adds some interest...

RAFE105.jpg

I added 2 strips of evergreen to the base - to get a firm fir to the chassis...

RAFE106.jpg

All in all a very productive Saturday morning - one sorted - one still to figure out...

RAFE107.jpg

• Like 6

SATURDAY AFTERNOON...

After returning from ASDA and before tea I took another look at the PSC sprues and noticed this...

RAFE107_A.jpg

I can only describe it as a sort of RSJ reinforced bumper with a 'bull bar'.  I have seen K6 photos with the more traditional forward sloping bull bar - but nothing like this.

RAFE108.jpg

MIND YOU IT DOES LOOK 'BUTCH' :lol:  So - as we had started to go 'off piste' with the flat bed - we might as well add these - there isn't enough to make a CMP anymore - so we might as well use up a few more bits...

RAFE109.jpg

RAFE110.jpg

RAFE111.jpg

COOL - well I think so - it is perfect match for width - both of the grill and the wings - and the lights peep over a treat.

• Like 5

SATURDAY NIGHT...

After tea and a couple of glasses of vino - I was feeling adventurous - so back to cannibalising the PSC sprues...  I cast my eye over 2 of the canvas canopies - could I possibly join them together...

RAFE111_A.jpg

An initial 'test fit' showed they fitted snug at the base - but with a 2mm gap at the top - could it be filled...

RAFE112.jpg

I decided it could be done - with a bit of work and plenty of filler.  I put a frame in and sanded the bottom edge - to try and even up the gap...

RAFE113.jpg

RAFE114.jpg

This would hopefully minimise the filler.

RAFE115.jpg

When it was filled I was quite pleased - it reminded me of something - nothing conventional - it reminded me of a DUKW...

RAFE116.jpg

After this it was time for more wine - so 'close of play' at the bench - I didn't want to push my luck - too far.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I was so inspired by the DUKW I went on Amazon and ordered 3 1/72 Italeri DUKWs...

ita7022.jpg

...it must have been the wine.  Heaven knows what I'm going to do with them - I can't find any reference for their use by the 11th Armoured Division :doh:

• Haha 6

20 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up Steve.

Nice to see another Big X 'botch job' in progress. Triffic work mate 👍😉

Regards.

Steve

Couldn't agree more!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SUNDAY MORNING...

With no internet - apart from the phone - I watched MOTD and waited for the Belgian Grand Prix to start.  In between that though I kept nipping upstairs 'tinkering'...

....LOOK WHAT I MADE - as kids say...

RAFE117.jpg

RAFE118.jpg

I still had a spare bulkhead and tailgate - so I fished out a sheet of evergreen 'planking' or 'v' groove as I  think they call it.  Slightly 'overscale' compared to the other base and sides AND lacking a bit of detail - so more evergreen strip was fished out...

RAFE119.jpg

RAFE120.jpg

I added some to the chassis to lift the bed a bit and provide a firm fixing point - then set to work on the sides...

RAFE122.jpg

I followed the other bed as an idea and made 2 frames for each side - to suggest they drop down...

RAFE123.jpg

...and whilst the mood was on me I added a couple of plates or flaps at the back - so I have somewhere to put my Black Bull and arms of service...

RAFE121.jpg

By this point it was Grand Prix time - so I left it all to properly set and harden.

• Like 4

SUNDAY AFTERNOON...

I got the engine covers and windscreens on the KATY's and then added the rather punt looking bull bars...

RAFE124.jpg

RAFE125.jpg

Then it was time to get the punch out - it's amazing just how many holes you can cut in such a small off cut of plastic...

RAFE126.jpg

These were for the bridging discs of course...

RAFE127.jpg

RAFE128.jpg

Whilst the punch was out I remembered to make the caps for the K6 cab roof holes...

RAFE129.jpg

...so it seemed a good time to get the cabs finished at the same time...

RAFE130.jpg

RAFE131.jpg

I did mess around for about an hour - trying to make windscreens - but it beat me - so I am going to skip that - if Airfix didn't put them in than they must think they look better without them :whistle:

• Like 6

Fantastic attention to detail and brilliant modelling again.....however, everything you build looks so good, I keep wanting to add it to my wish list!!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

I was so inspired by the DUKW I went on Amazon and ordered 3 1/72 Italeri DUKWs...

ita7022.jpg

...it must have been the wine.  Heaven knows what I'm going to do with them - I can't find any reference for their use by the 11th Armoured Division :doh:

Not sure 11th Armoured used them but console yourself with the fact it's a very nice kit (or in this case 3!).

All the best

Ben

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, badger said:

Not sure 11th Armoured used them but console yourself with the fact it's a very nice kit (or in this case 3!).

All the best

Ben

3 minutes ago, badger said:

These may be useful

https://www.dantaylormodelworks.com/d-day-dukws-384-p.asp

All the best

Ben

Hi Ben - reassuring to know they are good - I might do  D-Day project at some point.  These decals look perfect for the job too.  Don't set me off though - I may end up ordering landing craft and all kinds of nonsense.  After my recent experience with my canal I think I'm allergic to water at the moment

• Haha 1

SUNDAY NIGHT...

On with the mammoth catch up...  After tea it was time for some priming...

RAFE132.jpg

The canopy looks promising after a quick spray - I wouldn't know it was 2 stuck together...

RAFE133.jpg

in fact everything came out really nice - Thank You Halfords...

RAFE134.jpg

RAFE135.jpg

I went a stage further with the tyres and got the black on...

RAFE136.jpg

hmmm... black olives...

I got some SCC15 on the kebabs as well - though it looks a little grey here...

RAFE138.jpg

...and I couldn't resist a coat of dark earth on the canvas - just to see what it would look like...

RAFE137.jpg

oh yeh - well impressed - small things amuse small minds as they say.  With that it was MOTD2 and then bed.

• Like 4

MONDAY MORNING...

It's the last Bank Holiday of the year - before Christmas and apart from trying to get my internet back up and running I got more done today - well the weather was lousy up her in the hills.  I started with getting the hubs into the tyres - on reflection I should have thinned the hubs from the back - so they would sit deeper in the tyres - but they are OKish...

RAFE139.jpg

Then it was on with the SCC15 or Vallejo 71.260 via the airbrush...

RAFE140.jpg

RAFE141.jpg

RAFE142.jpg

I  got the blutac skewers off the bases and then hand painted a bit of detail on the undersides...

RAFE143.jpg

RAFE144.jpg

...you can't really see it here but the leaf springs / exhausts / axles all got a lick of burnt metal - more for contrast than anything.  As I have been working on a lot of very BASIC kits recently - with little to no detail on the undersides this is a bit of a change.

So that was Monday morning gone - time for a spot of lunch before the afternoon session.

• Like 4

SUNDAY AFTERNOON...

The afternoon was taken up with the really slow stuff - lots of 'spots' of paint here and there...

RAFE146.jpg

First up were the drivers with flesh for the hands and faces / black for the steering wheels and berets for the ambulance drivers/ dark green for the helmets / more dark earth for touching up any mistakes.  I used my trusty silicone paper to stop the paint drying whilst waiting to be used - great stuff...

RAFE145.jpg

RAFE147.jpg

They need varnishing and a wash adding to bring out some detail - but they are neat enough.  I did splash a drop of sand - ready for their webbing - but none of them have any - so I painted the seats with it - as per the beige covers you see on Bedford MWD's...

RAFE148.jpg

Then it was these 2 colours...

RAFE149.jpg

...boring note - yes this is the same piece of paper - you can use a scrap dozens of times as the paint just sits there on top - then wipes clean off.  Anyway I painted the bridge discs on the K6's as I ma unsure of the no 9 decals are a complete match...

RAFE150.jpg

...and the white was for those tiny discs on the roof sections on the KATYs - where I am 'cobbling' tiny red crosses...

RAFE151.jpg

All this 'detail' work took a lot of time - as my hands aren't the steadiest.

• Like 3

MONDAY NIGHT...

So this brings the thread back up to date and as I've been updating here I haven't got too much more done.  I got the wheels into the KATY cabs - before I forgot and put the roof on...

RAFE152.jpg

Question - there is room behind the K6 cabs for a spare wheel and the ones in the PSC kit aren't too bad - would it be a nice idea - or a step too far...

Anyway - in the meantime - I got all the wheels on...

RAFE154.jpg

RAFE153.jpg

Don't panic that those wheels don't look like they are touching the table.  My workbench is glass topped - for easy cleaning of paint spills - though it can play tracks at times.

So that's me all caught up again.  What's next - gloss varnish for everything and then some decaling.

Another question - the KATYs have loads of decals and there are none to speak of for the K6s - do I put some small stars on the bonnet and doors - what do you think...

Anyway - thanks for looking in and the continued support on this little build.

Happy modelling for the week - Steve 

• Like 6

Just wonderful modelling taking place here.. all expected of course but the attention to detail is just superb. 

Now will everyone please stop posting these excellent kits - my wallet (& loving wife) are not exactly coping at the moment and as for the kids, I'm sure I fed them sometime last week! 

Cheers.. Dave  

• Haha 1