1/76 RAF Emergency Set +++ COMPLETED +++

7 hours ago, BIG X said:

I must watch Ice Cold in Alex again - maybe with a CARLSBERG!!!

Ignore the Land Rovers visible at the end though.

I 'm sure I read (on here somewhere?) that the Ambulance used in the film had a different chassis?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Ignore the Land Rovers visible at the end though.

I 'm sure I read (on here somewhere?) that the Ambulance used in the film had a different chassis?

The differential on the front axle suggests it was a 4x4.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Knock the knob off the bulkhead and the spare should fit just that bit better to the recess.

Your kits are really badly marked with sprue tags, you are doing a good job taking them out.

Hatch cover just needs to be a piece of 5 thou circular and put in place

That is indeed the plan - loving the Lanc...

18 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

If the door opened forwards the circular cut-out wouldn't be needed.

Aftermarket wartime wheels/tyres are available for this kit, as when it came out it apparently was provided with postwar civilian tyres as on the example Airfix used as a guide.  I don't know whether Airfix ever changed that, but suspect that the wheels used on the Bedford MW were the same.  Shame that the new MW is the "wrong" scale.  I don't know, but it may be that the wheels modelled in the kit might be just a little bit too large, hence the overlap problem?

The wheels don't actually look 'too bad' Graham - I can live with them...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Aeronut said:

The differential on the front axle suggests it was a 4x4.

I did a bit of rummaging in the interwebz last night. It turns out Katy in the film was a standard ambulance body fitted to a Canadian Ford 4x4 chassis. This was because the production team felt a standard Austin 4x2 chassis might not cope with the things the ambulance was expected to do in the film.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Quick update on last nights progress...  After my eye test the old vision was a little 'blurry' - so I started off with something that didn't require too much in the way of vision.

I made some wheel hub kebabs...

RAFE070.jpg

RAFE071.jpg

...and some cocktail tyres on sticks...

RAFE072.jpg  

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Heather Kay said:

I did a bit of rummaging in the interwebz last night. It turns out Katy in the film was a standard ambulance body fitted to a Canadian Ford 4x4 chassis. This was because the production team felt a standard Austin 4x2 chassis might not cope with the things the ambulance was expected to do in the film.

...interesting stuff and a great film too.  Does anyone remember another great desert war movie - "Five Graves to Cairo"...

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BIG X said:

...interesting stuff and a great film too.  Does anyone remember another great desert war movie - "Five Graves to Cairo"...

I've never seen it but just did a bit of research - looks like a good plot.

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 1

Re wheel size: I picked up an old CMSC resin of an RAF K2 Workshop at the recent Samlesbury show, and on comparing these to the Airfix kit I didn't find a lot of difference in size.  Of course comparing one kit to another isn't necessarily a good idea, and I did have a spare but unidentified set of smaller wheels rattling around in the Emergency Set box.  But I find that the Bedford MW had 9x16s rather than the K2's 10x16s, and looking at this set suggests that they belong to an MW.

Perhaps the story of the wheels was confused with the stories about other Airfix truck kits (Matador, old QL, Bedford in the Queen Mary): whatever, it looks as though sticking with the kit ones is a good idea of yours.  I'll edit my previous post to avoid further confusion.

• Like 3

After tea - with my eyesight coming back a bit I set to work on the K6 cabs.  My initial intention was to remove the worst of the joins and then add a very fine seam with 0.5mm evergreen rod...

RAFE075.jpg

...but after sanding with a black stick / followed by yellow / followed by pink...

RAFE076.jpg

I thought they looked pretty neat.  So I'm going 'seamless'.

With my eyesight returning I continued and got the front grill / lights on...

RAFE077.jpg 

The grill is devoid of any detail and the lights are primitive - but quite strong - I have 'previous' for knock lights off.  Then it was another test fit on the chassis...

RAFE078.jpg

RAFE079.jpg

...not looking too bad.

• Like 5

Size wise the K6 is pretty big...

RAFE080.jpg

I will try and get the flat back sorted over the long weekend, but in the meantime this guy now has arms and a steering wheel to hold...

RAFE082.jpg

RAFE081.jpg

I test fitted the windscreen / dashboard and the steering column looks long enough to 'look right'.  I even have the option of giving him a drivers mate from the PSC kit - we will see.  there is still the cover for the hole in the roof to sort and a bridging weight disc.

Does anyone know what number should go on the bridge plate for a basic K6??? 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

By "basic" do you mean the GS version?  I can't find a photo showing the bridging disc on a K6, but most of the other 3 tonners, especially the 4x6s, seem to be 8 or 9.

Thanks Graham - I'll check my number sheets and see what we have going begging. ;)

I made some progress on the KATYs too - but very little progress was very hard work...

I decided I was going for the rear doors closed - as the inside isn't overly exciting at this scale - if I did a 1/35 I would no doubt go for open doors - oh well one day...

Anyway...  I was about to swear at more ejector marks...

RAFE073.jpg

...but after I had removed one and started work on the second - it hit me - these are the 'insides' of the doors - so stuff that... :doh: :blush:

So - as I was saying... A quick test fit with the roof and everything on showed I hadn't put the sides on quite correctly :oops: meaning the hinges on the body and the holes in the doors didn't quite marry up correctly...

RAFE074.jpg

So I  filed and scraped and filed some more - but still ended up with the doors still wanting to bulge open...

RAFE083.jpg

so - a bit of 'brute force' I decided a connecting plate of evergreen was required...

RAFE084.jpg

That cured it...

RAFE085.jpg

Flippin' hard work - no wonder I don't try to hang doors at home - it a job for professionals - not bodgers. :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

Those are absolutely brilliant - what scale are they???

The other main source of frustration / amusement on the KATYs was the engine cover...

RAFE086.jpg

...four parts - top / front / left side / right side - with nothing to locate them in position except the other pieces - you know the drill - glue everywhere and all the bit flopping about and falling apart.

RAFE087.jpg

I didn't glue them to the front - just to themselves - then I attached them to the windscreens...

RAFE089.jpg

Those rolled up canvas doors on the sides aren't very inspiring though...

But with the roof back on (temporarily) they are nearing the point of some primer...

RAFE090.jpg

...again size wise they are not quite as big as a Cromwell - but bigger than a Brengun carrier...

RAFE091.jpg

RAFE092.jpg

• Like 5

Making sure I haven't missed anything and looking for any cool tips - I popped over to @825 emergency set build.  The kits are the same and though the boxes are different...

825 - BOX

RAFE062.jpg

BIG X - BOX

RAFE063.jpg

Both sets of box art depict the serial numbers in white - with a clear background.  However - whilst 825's decals follow the script - mine have a black background...

825 - decals

RAFE064.jpg

BIG X DECALS

RAFE065.jpg

I haven't seen black backed serials before...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

So that's me all caught up again and as I am fully expecting to be without broadband until at least Tuesday - may I wish you all a very happy weekend and a great bank holiday for everyone who is getting one - sorry Scotland - but you do get Hogmanay remember...

oh and don't forget - as of tomorrow - 4 WEEKS TO GO - KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON - see you on the flipside - Steve 

• Like 1

The kit has been issued under various product codes and in a variety of boxes since it's introduction in 1969.

A204V/02304-5/9 02304/03304/A03304
RAF Emergency Set
1/76 scale.
Available as A204V from 1969 to 1972.
Issued as 02304-5 from 1973 to 1982.
Listed as 9 02304 under Limited Availability in 1983 catalogue.
Reissued as 03304 from 1990 to 2007.
Omitted from 1991 leaflet.
Included in VE-Day Anniversary Set (10301) in 2005.
Listed in 2008 catalogue as A03303 (typographical error).
Listed correctly as A03304 from 2009 to 2016.
Listed (incorrectly) as 1/72 scale in 2016 Yearbook.

Type 3D. Airfix logo without stripes with kit name under logo.
1969MAirfixEmergencySetT3atftheflyi.jpg~

Type 4D Box. Dual coloured round logo. 1972 to 1975.
1aairfixbox0019.jpg

Type 5C Box. Round logo - MODELE REDUIT - 1975 to 1979.
1aairfixbox0021.jpg

Type 6 Oval logo. 1978 to 1981.
1aairfixbox0022.jpg

Type 6C Box. Oval logo - MODELE REDUIT
1aairfixbox0020.jpg

Type 6C Box. Oval logo - MODELE REDUIT (02304-5 French)
25942514657_81164fdae8_z.jpg

Type 10C. White box. 1990 to 1994.
20170526_161125_HDR.jpg

Type 10C. White box. 1990 to 1994.
1960s_145269702.jpg

Type 16C. Red box.
A03304.jpg~original

Also issued by Plasty (Germany) as kit series 1653 number 21 (1960s).
1aairfixbox0009.jpg

• Like 6

Great progress mate - you're really knocking those kits into shape.

Phenomenal progress for a few days work!

Might just send you mine to sort out!

Hope you get the interwebs sorted out and look forward to seeing your progress.

All the best

Ben

• Like 3