1/76 RAF Emergency Set +++ COMPLETED +++

My fourth and final entry for the GB is a 2 parter - or maybe even a 4 parter...

KATY_010.jpg

These may be the 'straw that breaks the camel's back' - but I've always wanted to build a 'katy' - how could anyone not want to after watching Ice Cold In Alex.

Here are the sprues from one box - FLASH CITY...

KATY_013.jpg

I've actually stolen the 2 driver figures for my current Jeep project - but I'll worry about that when the time comes.  As for the Fire tender - I have no desire to build one - let alone two - but I may use the chassis as a base for some flat back trucks of some description - but this is way down the line.  At least there are 'proper instructions' for these babies...

KATY_011.jpg

...a full side per vehicle - AND - decals too...

KATY_012.jpg

what a treat this will be after a bridge / a church / a windmill - sanity is some way off though and to be honest I may never get this far - but it is something to look forward to.

For @Rabbit Leader http://www.vintage-airfix.com/airfix/series-176-scale/raf-emergency-set-p-544.html

Airfix Catalogue information: Series: 2 First Issued: 1969 Catalogue Ref - 6th Edition (1968): A204V

Well that covers everything.  Just a few days to go and 3 Jeeps to get finished - that should keep my meddling fingers off these beauties until the weekend :thumbsup:

Happy modelling everyone - Steve

• Like 8

Good addition to the GB Steve.

Airfix really hit the mark with these military equipment kits and hopefully they will add a few more to their new range in the next few years.

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 3

Glad to see you are going for these.

Hopefully you are aware about the actual service of these vehicles.

'Katy' didn't seen any RAF service at home but did so with the USAAF here.

41216989091_05d8a1d166_z.jpg

I look forward to seeing the fire tender conversion . . . .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mancunian airman said:

Glad to see you are going for these.

Hopefully you are aware about the actual service of these vehicles.

'Katy' didn't seen any RAF service at home but did so with the USAAF here.

I look forward to seeing the fire tender conversion . . . .

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

If it matters to you, it is possible to get the correct wheels/tyres for the Katy from military modelling sources  (i.e. I don't remember which), as the Airfix kit was based on a post-war example.

Thanks guys - I'm going for British Army 179th Light Field Ambulance - 11th Armoured Division - Holland 1944

I really don't know about the K6's - but I'll knock up the basics and see what they look like - thanks for the wheels tip - it is safely stored here in the WIP - for when I actually get going. 

• Like 2

You can do a lot with a K6, just not (in WW2) the Fire Tender.  Airfix magazine of the period did a lot of conversions, and at least some of them ended up in the PSL book on converting Airfix kits to RAF vehicles.  Get in touch, I think someone sent me a PDF.  Friendship models also does the signal body for the K6 - or at least one of them.  Someone else(?) sells standard GS truck bodies.

Try to find a copy of the Tankograd British Military Trucks of WW2.  Pester your library.  Lots and lots of model options, and quite a few RAF examples scattered through.  Especially K6s.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 3

On 29/05/2018 at 10:06, Mancunian airman said:

Friendship models

Their web page is currently under-going a 're-build'

They have an ebay store if that helps

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, badger said:

They have an ebay store if that helps

I find I'm using ebay a little bit now - but I always have this nagging fear that it isn't quite 'safe' somehow...

I'm a ludite I know

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Well this one has been lurking at the bottom of PAGE 5 on the GB build thread since the very beginning.  It was supposed to be my fourth entry - but I got side tracked along the way with that Bronze Spitfire.  So this is now entry no 5 for me.

I think it's time to get this build 'on the road' - does anyone fancy jumping onboard for the ride...

• Like 2

• BIG X changed the title to 1/76 RAF Emergency Set - In army service...

I'm in for this one!!

Although quite how you're going to light it and add engine sounds is, quite frankly, beyond me :giggle:

All the best

Ben

• Haha 3

If this build is following the 'Ice Cold in Alex' theme then remember the tall glass of amber coloured Heineken at the end...with the white head and condensation on the outside of the glass..... You need to produce a (well-deserved) one or two of those!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ventora3300 said:

If this build is following the 'Ice Cold in Alex' theme then remember the tall glass of amber coloured Heineken at the end...with the white head and condensation on the outside of the glass..... You need to produce a (well-deserved) one or two of those!

I have always had a secret little yearning to do the old 'ICE COLD' theme and it would probably be the only model I would stand a chance of getting into the living room - as it is one of Madame X's favourite movies.  I think that deserves 1/35 though.  I think these little 1/76 jobs are a maybe 'too primitive' to do justice to such a theme.

Maybe one day...

• Like 1

Most of the things I have been building in the last 12 months, with the exception of the Airfix Jeep I did a few months back, have contained only a handful of parts.  Even the 1/24 Spitfire I did for the GB only used the bare shell of the kit.  So as this build has the potential of 4 vehicles I thought I better get organised.  I know no one reads the instructions – but I’ve broken all the rules and actually cut and bagged everything for each ‘stage’.

RAFE001.jpg

RAFE002.jpg

As you will notice I'm only using the bare chassis on the K6 - hence missing the last 5 stages - that will be some scratch built - 'stuff'. 

Everything still needs trimming and sanding – but it puts everything in a bit of ‘order’ as most of the sprues were bent with parts falling off and no logical order to them.

• Like 3

Obviously I have a bag of spare 'bits'...

RAFE003.jpg

...and the decal sheet of course...

RAFE004.jpg

I'm a bit 'miffed' they didn't include the tiny frontal red cross that goes on the disc over the cab - there is plenty of room on the sheet to have squeezed one on...

RAFE005.jpg

I shall have to improvise with some tiny crosses off this sheet...

RAFE006.jpg

These will do nicely...

RAFE007.jpg

My Jeep ambulance driver has one on an armband...

jeep208.jpg

• Like 3

Camo-wise I'm sticking with late ETO circa 1944 - British built SCC15.  I've seen a lot of 'katy' ambulances done in the black and green 'mickey mouse' scheme - but my basic reference is this - from Belgium 1944...

RAFE008.jpg

Yes I know it B+W but it is one colour camo.  I tell you what is interesting and I haven't seen it on any model...

RAFE009.jpg

...what appear to be 'invasion stripes' on the side of the spare wheel cover.  Don't worry though - you won't be seeing those on mine either - they would be way too small for my eyesight.

• Like 2

It looks like my trusty punch set will be put into action...

RAFE015.jpg

The kits don't have bridging weight discs - but my meagre evidence does...

RAFE010.jpg

That is a no 4 - though I have seen models with a 3 and the one from Alex has a 5 - oh and there is that tiny red cross at the front again.

That's settled then - 4 it is....

RAFE011.jpg

...plenty of 4's to go at.

• Like 3

At the risk of being repetitive I am of course doing these as 'workhorses' of the 11th Armoured Division - I'm going through these insignia at quite a pace...

RAFE012.jpg

The ambulances are going to be from the 18th Light Field Ambulance Regiment - with the black 90...

RAFE013.jpg

I just have 4 to spare...

RAFE014.jpg

...no room for screw ups.  I have no idea which regiment might have used flatbed K6's though - any thoughts on 'possible scenarios'... ?

• Like 1

I’m sure someone with more knowledge than me will be along shortly, but the K6 was a fairly lightweight chassis (3 tons?). It was popular with the RAF for all kinds of things, but seems rare in Army service.

that said, I reckon the best body for your K6 would be the breakdown/workshop body.

https://www.trucksplanet.com/catalog/model.php?id=1708

Some interesting photos there, which might help.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

I’m sure someone with more knowledge than me will be along shortly, but the K6 was a fairly lightweight chassis (3 tons?). It was popular with the RAF for all kinds of things, but seems rare in Army service.

that said, I reckon the best body for your K6 would be the breakdown/workshop body.

https://www.trucksplanet.com/catalog/model.php?id=1708

Some interesting photos there, which might help.

Thanks for the link Heather - I'll take a look - it is only a WHIF scenario though - just a bit of fun.

• Like 1

Oh, I realise there’s than an element of fun involved here. To that end, I’ll be happy to see whatever you like to put on the chassis!

I don’t ever intend to make more work for people. I reckon a simple GS body with canvas tilt ought to be well within your abilities. The added fun of the RSJ poking out over the cab just makes it interesting and plausible for your fab diorama.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

Oh, I realise there’s than an element of fun involved here. To that end, I’ll be happy to see whatever you like to put on the chassis!

I don’t ever intend to make more work for people. I reckon a simple GS body with canvas tilt ought to be well within your abilities. The added fun of the RSJ poking out over the cab just makes it interesting and plausible for your fab diorama.

HA HA - I have RSJ's in various sizes... :wicked:

• Haha 1