Formaskin decal sheet needed

secubis3

Way back in the 70s or early 80s I bought a product called Formaskin, I bought it from a shop called BMW models Ltd in london. I found it in a previously lost and forgotten box and would like to get some more of it, if at all it still exists.. I recall it came in aluminium, silver and chrome. I don't want to use alclad as it means using an airbrush. Does anyone know where I can get some more Formaskin from or can suggest a like for like rub down metal skin suitable for models..

Cheers

S

Formaskin has long gone, I'm afraid.

Here are a few alternatives.

The first is BareMetal foil - it's a self adhesive and very thin foil specially designed for use on models. It's not easy to use well and needs a bit of practice, especially on compound surfaces. It's very difficult to remove once on. Available in lots of places.

If you want decals, Microscale do a range of metallic sheets and stripes. Available at Hannant's amongst others.

Hasegawa do a range of metallic rub-down transfers. I've never used them, nor have I seen any reviews, but they are out there. Search for Hasegawa Trytool finishes, but you may have to get them direct from Japan.

I've got some trytool in gold and can get some others. The bare metal foil, what would you reccomend for natural metal finishes on aircraft? is it chrome or aluminium?

I'm still use tin foil at times but it is getting harder to get the right texture and fold on curves although it is thin it does tend to tear easy.

Cheers

Stewart

Not many aircraft have a bright, mirror-like chrome finish, so the aluminium would, in my opinion, be more appropriate more of the time. Having said that, the chrome can be burnished with a rough cloth or wire wool to make it less bright, but still glossier than the matt aluminium. They do 2 types of chrome - Chrome (sometimes called Improved Chrome) and Ultra-bright Chrome.

It's expensive, I know, but it really is worth practising on a scrap model before you embark on your masterpiece.