HO/OO Windmill +++ COMPLETED+++

Last update before tea - I've spent the last couple of hours trying to make the base look a little more 'defined'.  I started by applying streaks of black Flory down the battens...

WIND_108.jpg

Then really went to town on the grouting - in the hope that the black would show up better than the white...

WIND_109.jpg

I don't know if the gloss coat I put on wasn't 'shiny' enough - but the stains on the roof were a little 'heavy' and didn't want to 'blend' - so it was out with plenty of water and a 'stiff brush'

WIND_110.jpg

I 'think' I won in the end - we will have to see after it has completely dried out after tea.

WIND_111.jpg

I think the bricks look better - you can really make them out from a distance now.

This believe it or not is a matt varnish...

WIND_112.jpg

Don't panic - I'm not - it will dry out dead matt - brilliant stuff that Winsor and Newton.

Oh and @Lawzer and maybe @Gorby too - When this has dried I will fish out my lucky penny and get the 'money shot' - ooh the excitement.

See you after tea folks.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

This is looking fantastic. The recent grouting and roof work have really paid dividends. 

It's looking so life-like, I hope you won't mind if I make a suggestion. I spent a lot of time a few years ago around various windmills. It was noticeable how the wear on the external stairs would be concentrated in two more-or-less parallel lines where the feet would be placed. The treads there would be paler and frequently worn down.

This sort of thing...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That black grouting and wash on the roof have worked a treat. Much more defined now.

I second the windsor and newton varnish - it's excellent stuff!

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lovely Lasagna and salad...  OK the varnish has dried so here is the finished article...

WIND_115.jpg

WIND_116.jpg

WIND_117.jpg

and as promised...

WIND_118.jpg

The PENNY SHOT - TA DA...

• Like 8

A couple of finishing 'tweaks' have been required.  For whatever reason one of the sails has started knocking against the edge of the roof - so I have glued a couple of shims on the under side to tilt the front back ever so slightly...

WIND_119.jpg

I also thought the length of 'spare wire was way too long - so I've chopped about 5 inches off...

WIND_114.jpg

It's now almost 'too short' and has taken me nearly 10 minutes to wriggle the wires back into the connector blocks - :oops:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Morning folks - I was up early-ish pondering my next move.  I think we need a base...

WIND_120.jpg

...nothing fancy - just a bit of grass - but something to set it off.  Now there is a nice old fashioned frame up in the loft - but as that entails getting the ladders out I have had to wait until SWMBO is up and about before I start making a racket. :lol:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Morning folks - I was up early-ish pondering my next move.  I think we need a base...

That windmill is looking splendid. From previous discussions, I was imagining that the bases for the Pontoon Bridge, Church and Windmill were all going to join up with the bren carrier and 'Tommies' somewhere in the middle of it all?

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

That windmill is looking splendid. From previous discussions, I was imagining that the bases for the Pontoon Bridge, Church and Windmill were all going to join up with the bren carrier and 'Tommies' somewhere in the middle of it all?

ah... yes... now... well... err...

I have been measuring up...

dio.jpg

This is the biggest piece of shelf space I have - pretty sizeable, but still a little tight to squeeze everything in.  I haven't abandoned the idea - but for the sake of the GB I am going to put the windmill on a temporary base for now.  The main problem is actually not so much the church - but rather the graveyard.  When you add that to the church it is 9 x 12 inch - a bit of a killer.

• Like 4

I've taken some pictures that might explain the situation better.  Here is the shelf...

shelf_1.jpg

It's not too cramped until you consider how vehicles would get on and off the bridge.  That graveyard is a killer - but if you remove it...

shelf_2.jpg

...you gain a bit.  I'm glad I only decided to use one span of the bridge - rather than 2 - otherwise nothing would fit at all.  I could also save another 3 inches on the bridge if I get a small saw out...

shelf_3.jpg

...any thoughts would be appreciated.  In the meantime I'll knock up that temporary base for the windmill.

• Like 3

This is what I  was looking for in the loft this morning...

WIND_122.jpg

A very vintage 8 inch circular frame - which matches the bottom of the steps.  This windmill takes up more 'real estate' than I imagined.  My good friend @badger recently recommended foam centred board - or 'foamcor' as being a good base for base.  It is certainly easy enough to cut to shape...

WIND_123.jpg

I found the centre and then 'carved' the top paper off to form a 3 inch circle for the base...

WIND_124.jpg

WIND_126.jpg

I primed it in black - as that was the first can that came to hand...

WIND_127.jpg

10_min.jpg

Then on with dark earth...

WIND_128.jpg

10_min.jpg

That didn't take long at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, BIG X said:

It's not too cramped until you consider how vehicles would get on and off the bridge.  That graveyard is a killer - but if you remove it..

You've got to keep the graveyard.

You only need to allow a reasonable turning space at the church end, the other end the road could be going straight on (rather than at right angles to the bridge). The windmill end of the bridge could be much closer to the edge if you accept that the road is running off the end of the dio (shelf). If you get my drift.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Gorby said:

You've got to keep the graveyard.

You only need to allow a reasonable turning space at the church end, the other end the road could be going straight on (rather than at right angles to the bridge). The windmill end of the bridge could be much closer to the edge if you accept that the road is running off the end of the dio (shelf). If you get my drift.

I have been having a 'rummage' and I still have the second span...

saw.jpg

This should really be in the bridge build - but what the hell - so it was out with the saw...

chop.jpg

...better than any I have any right to expect for 2 minutes work and a possible solution without damaging the other ramps.

• Like 4

Anyway - we digress - but nothing new there...

I have 'previous' with grass scatter material - so I put the base in a box...

WIND_129.jpg

I sprayed on some dilute PVA and then out with the sieve...

WIND_130.jpg

I left this for about an hour in the sunshine before 'sealing' it.  I have used hairspray in the past - but couldn't find any 'lying around' - so I used some Halfords clear lacquer - which I  bought for the Spitfire...

WIND_131.jpg

It is 'wicked stuff' - stinks like glue sniffers den and it actually 'ate' the exposed sponge - where I had removed the paper...

WIND_132.jpg

you can see where the exposed foam WAS - it's not there now - that's the paper on the back side of the board.

It is setting like rock now - but I think I'll give it another hour or two - just in case it tries eating the base of the windmill...

WIND_133.jpg

back in a bit.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

OK the smell has gone and it has set as hard as a rock - you could file your nails on that grass now...

WIND_134.jpg

I'm happy with the detail and this base will do for now...

WIND_135.jpg

I'll get some pictures up in the gallery shortly.

• Like 7

neeeeeeeice!!!!!!

that looks pretty darned good if I do say so myself! 👍

Does your display shelf have another shelf above it or do we need to hang the 1/72 typhoon (DON'T go onto fleabay with a glass of wine in your hand......) providing air cover from the roof??  🤣

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

neeeeeeeice!!!!!!

that looks pretty darned good if I do say so myself! 👍

Does your display shelf have another shelf above it or do we need to hang the 1/72 typhoon (DON'T go onto fleabay with a glass of wine in your hand......) providing air cover from the roof??  🤣

Mr Lawzer Sir - you are a mind reader - there is plenty of room for hanging a couple of aircraft - don't forget I picked up that Stuka - with the mahoosive cannons under the wings.

But now I apologise in advance for this - but I just can't resist...

WIND_136.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Good grief. Top work as per mate. 

Glad you don't have too much leave from work you would run out of projects rather quickly if you did everything at this pace... 

Brilliant though. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

OK the pictures are up in the gallery and I think Windy and I deserve a well earned break.  The sun is shining, the deck chairs are out and the wine is chilled...

IMG_3022.jpg

...windy has just nipped off to get his cider and we are good to go - party time :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

That looks brilliant - glad the foam board tip worked for you. That frame sets it off nicely.

Neat deckchairs - could use one of those myself right now!

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, badger said:

That looks brilliant - glad the foam board tip worked for you. That frame sets it off nicely.

Neat deckchairs - could use one of those myself right now!

All the best

Ben

The deck chairs are actually 1/48 - but on a day s good as this - who cares...  I scratch built them a 'long time ago' - when I  built my first project on returning to the hobby - the 'Southdowns Flying Club' - 'a nasty little shack - full of dead flies' according to Michael Caine...

IMG_1512.jpg

• Like 3

A few last 'documenting' pix for the archives...

WIND_142.jpg

WIND_143.jpg

WIND_144.jpg

WIND_145.jpg

A big thank you too for everyone that has chipped in during the last 5 days or so - I hope you enjoyed it and thanks for taking the time to have a look and contribute - Steve

• Like 8

6 hours ago, BIG X said:

But now I apologise in advance for this - but I just can't resist...

WIND_136.jpg

Saw this and spat my tea all over the keyboard, Hilarious! Incredibly funny!

Ten minutes later the wife said to me in sheer incredulity. "um, that tune you're whistling... Is that the one about the mouse in Amsterdam?... Y'know, wears clogs or something?        :hmmm:

..."Are you okay dear?"           :mental:

Curses, can't get it out of head now!           :wall:

Oh, cracking job on the windmill too.  

Edited by Murdo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, zebra said:

@Murdo you’d better steer clear of Radcliffe and Maconie on 6 Music, they play that song quite a lot!

@BIG X the windmill is awesome but what really amazes me is that you’ve done it so quickly!

I've been off work - on a bit of a holiday.  If I had been at work it would have taken me closer to a month.  I still have another week and a half to go - so watch this space....

• Like 3