HO/OO Windmill +++ COMPLETED+++

There is no way I’m clicking that play button!

This needs something very different to force the earworm out. The Lovely Eggs ought to do it.

I fear this thread might be drifting ever so slightly off topic...

• Haha 3

In between having a laugh - I have still been working...

I got the base doors painted - but needed to add a bit of extra 'width' to get them to fit...

WIND_080.jpg

If your wondering - it's 'cockpit green' - I did paint the door knobs and the 'lucky' horseshoes too - in black - I just forgot to take a photo amidst all the 'excitement' :doh: :blush: 

• Like 3

Luckily I found out the doors weren't a great fit BEFORE I plastered them in glue - a bit of a first for me - still I needed to gently 'squeeze' the base until they had set...

WIND_081.jpg

So this was the last productive effort of the day - quite a good day if I say so myself.

Thanks for all the fun banter today and the constructive comments too - it's been a 'nice day'.  This can be a lonely hobby at times and I appreciate you looking in - so please come back tomorrow and hopefully we can 'nail it'.

Cheers folks - Steve

• Like 7

Morning folks - I got up early - I think I'm still on 'work' time - rather than 'holiday' time.  But that means I have had a chance to get a few things done.  With the doors set I nearly set to work on the 'grouting'...

WIND_082.jpg

...but in the end I decided to work on the roof instead...

WIND_083.jpg

I think the roof looks like battened tarpaulin and looking at my neighbours tatty old shed I thought it best to start with a green of some sort.  After using the cockpit green on the doors and dark earth on the bricks it seemed only natural to use dark green on the roof - to continue the RAF theme.

WIND_084.jpg

I used the old humbrol 29 or is it 30 - which as we all know is 'the wrong green' - but at least it has used it up.

• Like 2

It's hard to say from the reference photos you posted at the beginning but that roof could be supposed to be anything from sarking boards (planks) to slate tiles - although the slated examples look to have the 'tower' part as fixed and not rotating, like wot the model does. I think battened tarpaulin is an inspired assumption and the wrong green H30 is just the job, weathered of course! I think the brickwork 'variation' is fantastic and I'm sure Mrs X will requisition these finished models to display around the home! You will surely at least get Brownie points for getting up this early on a holiday?

• Like 1

Whilst the roof was drying I popped the windows in.  Now I have painted black and I think that was a mistake :oops:

WIND_085.jpg

Now they are in I think they just look like holes - there is too much difference between the stark white and deep black.  Not to worry - that bright white has been bugging me and I've decided it definitely needs 'toning down'.  I've been lining up a mix of old rattle cans I re-discovered in the garage yesterday - but more on that shortly.

In the meantime I also got the door in...

WIND_086.jpg

WIND_087.jpg

The wiring is through and the bottom is sealed - hope that motor still works - too late to change it now...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

It's hard to say from the reference photos you posted at the beginning but that roof could be supposed to be anything from sarking boards (planks) to slate tiles - although the slated examples look to have the 'tower' part as fixed and not rotating, like wot the model does. I think battened tarpaulin is an inspired assumption and the wrong green H30 is just the job, weathered of course! I think the brickwork 'variation' is fantastic and I'm sure Mrs X will requisition these finished models to display around the home! You will surely at least get Brownie points for getting up this early on a holiday?

I will be weathering the roof and the brickwork later - after a gloss coat - but I think the roof still needs a 'spatter' coating of grey.  I found both dark sea grey and light sea grey cans in the garage yesterday.  Now... SWMBO... models anywhere but in my 'workroom'... NOT A CHANCE.

I once suggested hanging a few from the living room ceiling - just for a laugh - if looks could kill - I'd be dead now.

I was up at 6am - but spent the first hour 'tip toeing' around so as not to disturb her majesty.  It's amazing how noisy masking tape is :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have been 'rattle canning' since about 9 o'clock.  Mrs X has been sat in the garden - pondering what jobs she can find for me to do and even complained about the noise of the cans rattling through the open window.  I pointed out that I needed the window open - for the extractor tube to clear the fumes.  She hadn't noticed the fumes - but as soon as I mentioned them - you guessed it - she complained about them too.

I've taken a load of pictures along the way - but they are a bit confusing - so I need to put some text on them - so we can make out what's going on - photoshop here we come...

back soon...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Now... SWMBO... models anywhere but in my 'workroom'... NOT A CHANCE.

I tired that. I suggested that a 1/24 mosquito would look lovely on the sideboard, but for for some bizarre reason she thinks that photos of the kids look better.

The kids look Ok ish but they'er certainly no mosquito.

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Mrs X has been sat in the garden - pondering what jobs she can find for me to do and even complained about the noise of the cans rattling through the open window. 

You need to plan a special lunch at the favourite X restaurant and you may get left alone  up to then - make sure plenty fresh, crisp white wine is on hand to make the afternoon a snoozy one - not you, you need to sober up and get back to modelling! Repeat....

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Gorby said:

I tired that. I suggested that a 1/24 mosquito would look lovely on the sideboard, but for for some bizarre reason she thinks that photos of the kids look better.

The kids look Ok ish but they'er certainly no mosquito.

Luckily we don't have kids.  We went for beige carpets instead - you can't have both...

• Haha 4

23 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

You need to plan a special lunch at the favourite X restaurant and you may get left alone  up to then - make sure plenty fresh, crisp white wine is on hand to make the afternoon a snoozy one - not you, you need to sober up and get back to modelling! Repeat....

I may just send her out for lunch - with her mum - PEACE...

• Haha 2

Time for a rattle can update...

OK - so the white primer was way too stark - if you remember this was the 'shabby' white I want...

WIND_016.jpg

Now you will need to go with me on this and don't get frightened - it all works out well at the bottom of this post - well I'm happy anyway.

I read 'somewhere' about spraying different colours in different directions - dark colours spray up / light colours spray down - so here we go...

WIND_088.jpg

WIND_089.jpg

WIND_090.jpg

WIND_091.jpg

WIND_092.jpg

hmmm - I can now see a little bit of filling that needs doing - oh well - we'll worry about that later...

I'm now happy with this 'shabby' finish and the window panes actually show up.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, zebra said:

There is no way I’m clicking that play button!

This needs something very different to force the earworm out. The Lovely Eggs ought to do it.

I fear this thread might be drifting ever so slightly off topic...

...and your earworm for today - The Windmills Of Your Mind...

• Haha 3

...'like a wheel within a wheel' - damn youtube - it's stuck in my head now...

Anyway - more progress - the fun never stops.  Whilst the cans were out I gave the tarpaulin a quick spatter of dark and light sea grey...

WIND_093.jpg

...off with the masking...

WIND_094.jpg

the roof looks better I think - so on with a hand applied gloss coat for the brickwork...

WIND_095.jpg

...and I've literally just done with a light Flory wash...

WIND_096.jpg

...not a bad look - a bit 'mildewy'.  On reflection I wish I had left it - but not me - I've cleaned it up...

WIND_097.jpg

still - 'less is more' - I hope :oops:

• Like 6

gawd your fairly nipping on with this!  Really starting to come together!! 👍

Can I get my penny shot?  I've been trying to work out the size of this 😁

I seem to remember (seems a LONG) time ago now that you'd need air cover for the pontoon bridge - maybe a 1/72 typhoon will be in the offing ;)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

gawd your fairly nipping on with this!  Really starting to come together!! 👍

Can I get my penny shot?  I've been trying to work out the size of this 😁

I seem to remember (seems a LONG) time ago now that you'd need air cover for the pontoon bridge - maybe a 1/72 typhoon will be in the offing ;)

Is there a vintage 1/72 Airfix Typhoon that is readily available I wonder...

• Like 2

I almost forgot - I also gave the steps and the sails a light dusting of light sea grey too - too make them look a little 'faded'...

WIND_100.jpg

WIND_098.jpg

WIND_101.jpg

The white square is the cap for the spindle - which is now firmly 'super glued' to the body - I am just painting black.

WIND_102.jpg

A quick test with the battery attached shows the motor is working - hopefully you can see a bit of movement at the end of the sails.  Its a pity I can't post a video - it looks really cute.

• Like 5

Well it's looking a bit 'finished'...

WIND_105.jpg

I am very happy with the body - but the base I think needs some more work...

WIND_106.jpg

WIND_107.jpg

That grouting is almost 'invisible' and the roof looks too clean - back in a short while...

• Like 8

This windmill is looking fantastic BigX, you've had a really productive day. The colouring is really effective and you can see a blur where the sails are moving. Is that a beam sticking out at the back beside the stairs? Maybe it is designed to be kept pushed into the wind manually by several strong millers, or maybe just by Windy leaning on it after a keg of cider! (That may save you having to scratch build a 'fantail').

• Haha 4

And the britmodeller speed build record goes to ...........

Seriously - that's an impressive amount of progress in a couple of days. 

The effect with the different sprays is quite astounding.

All the best

Ben

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, badger said:

And the britmodeller speed build record goes to ...........

Seriously - that's an impressive amount of progress in a couple of days. 

The effect with the different sprays is quite astounding.

All the best

Ben

Cheers Ben,  I have another update from the last couple of hours, I'm just shrinking the pictures now.  It's amazing just how much you can get done when work doesn't 'get in the way'.  In reality though over the last 4 days I have probably put in at least 40 hours - compared to maybe an hour or so a day under 'normal circumstances'.

I am quite pleased about the 'spatter' finish - I just wish I knew who to credit with the idea - as I said I read it somewhere - but I have no clue where.

Update to follow in a few minutes.

All the best

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1