HO/OO Windmill +++ COMPLETED+++

My third entry - should I ever get this far is a the Airfix Windmill...

WIND_010.jpg

I wonder what the artwork would have looked like if Roy Cross had been around in 1958 - maybe it would be in flames...  Anyway mine is another DAPOL re-bag from my sadly now closed LMS...

WIND_011.jpg

...and when you open the bag...

WIND_012.jpg

There is masses of flash on the blades - it will probably take me at least a week to clean this one up before I can even start it - but it is third in line anyway - so it is going back in the bag for now.

Here is a quick look at the instructions...

WIND_013.jpg

... and this is what inspired the build...

WIND_014.jpg

'it's behind you' they cry - 'an Airfix windmill'.

For @Rabbit Leader http://www.vintage-airfix.com/airfix/series-trackside/windmill-p-387.html

Airfix Catalogue information: Series: 2 First Issued: 1958 Catalogue Ref - 1st Edition (1962): 4019

Again it is a 'real oldie' - I just hope I can do it justice.  I am really looking forward to this one - I  wonder if I could 'motorize'- it???

Something to ponder - thanks for taking a peek - Steve

• Like 12

Here is something to consider - if this and all these other 'funnies' weren't being built in a major GB then they would be relegated to the 'far reaches of the forum' and receive very little interest across the board.  Got to love the spirit of this GB.

1 hour ago, Lawzer said:

Looking forward to the big x treatment on an unusual subject!

I wonder where I can get a HO/OO windy miller...

41pSMiYDGwL._SY300_.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Here is something to consider - if this and all these other 'funnies' weren't being built in a major GB then they would be relegated to the 'far reaches of the forum' and receive very little interest across the board.  Got to love the spirit of this GB.

I wonder where I can get a HO/OO windy miller...

41pSMiYDGwL._SY300_.jpg

You'd have to motorise Windy,  and his chickens, and spend time getting the colour of the cider just right!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OH NO - Called at Sainsbury's this evening and look what's on sale...

ZGK.jpg

...OK - what's the problem...

zgkclose.jpg

...they are building MY WINDMILL - before I get a chance to start it.  60 years it has been out and they choose now to showcase it...

...you couldn't make it up :doh: 

I wonder what odds I could have got on that one 1,000,000 to 1 :lol:

I took it as an omen and bought a euromillions ticket - just in case :mental:

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

Never forget that coincidences do NOT exist!!! A warped space-time continuum is more likely to blame for YOUR windmill being reviewed in a magazine today... Damn.

The trickiest part of the build will no doubt be the making of all those pairs of clogs in such a small scale.

May you have a lot of fun!

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 1 month later...

...just time for a teaser...

Whilst in Bristol earlier this week a mate of mine was good enough to solder these together for me...

bronze_130.jpg

That is one happy looking battery holder.... :)

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kallisti said:

So what is the RPM on that motor after the gears?

15RPM - one revolution every 4 seconds.  I hadn't considered it before hand - I am no 'electronics whizz' and nearly ordered a motor that would have turned my windmill into a desk fan - might have been handy in this weather though... :doh::lol:

• Haha 8

Thats a good speed - I always found the problem with motors in my Meccano days was they were always too fast! It was always possible to build a gearbox to reduce this but usually at the cost of noise!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kallisti said:

Thats a good speed - I always found the problem with motors in my Meccano days was they were always too fast! It was always possible to build a gearbox to reduce this but usually at the cost of noise!

This is tiny and absolutely silent - not even a buzz.  My mate is a 'proper' engineer and he was impressed with it for a quid or so off amazon.

• Like 2

There lies your problem Big X!!!

A windmill is everything, but absolutely silent... It creaks and groans and makes all sorts of noises I did not know existed!

One revolution every 4 seconds qualifies for a windmill on steroids, but dope is legal in the Netherlands, so who cares.

May I suggest you either jump a couple of times on your super duper motor or use a 20 pounds hammer in a gentle way. Groans should follow from then on...

I may sound pompous, but having been dragged kicking and screaming to visit windmills in Holland so many times by goggle eyed acquaintances, when I was working there, I might as well use this extravagant knowledge!!!

Have fun!

JR

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, jean said:

There lies your problem Big X!!!

A windmill is everything, but absolutely silent... It creaks and groans and makes all sorts of noises I did not know existed!

One revolution every 4 seconds qualifies for a windmill on steroids, but dope is legal in the Netherlands, so who cares.

May I suggest you either jump a couple of times on your super duper motor or use a 20 pounds hammer in a gentle way. Groans should follow from then on...

I may sound pompous, but having been dragged kicking and screaming to visit windmills in Holland so many times by goggle eyed acquaintances, when I was working there, I might as well use this extravagant knowledge!!!

Have fun!

JR

There is maybe room for a small mp3 player and micro-speaker in the base - I just need to get some sound samples of windmills ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just record an episode of Trumpton, if I recall the windmill had a very soothing, rhythmic sound.

I was always fascinated by Windy going in and out of the door at the base of the windmill, his timing was impeccable, he never got wacked on the noggin by the sails :)

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Smudge said:

Just record an episode of Trumpton, if I recall the windmill had a very soothing, rhythmic sound.

I was always fascinated by Windy going in and out of the door at the base of the windmill, his timing was impeccable, he never got wacked on the noggin by the sails :)

I can see poor old Windy Miller coming in for a fair amount of jokes when this WIP actually gets started - poor old windy... :oops:

I can also see all our 'overseas' members asking - who the flip is Windy Miller - google him folks - he is a legend in UK Children's culture... ;)

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a couple of weeks off work - as of today - so I'm hoping to FINALLY get going on this one.  Having read that article in the magazine and looked at the quality of the work it has made me realise my own effort is going to be a 'pale comparison' - so I've binned the mag and reminded myself...

This is supposed to be fun... :partytime: :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, BIG X said:

made me realise my own effort is going to be a 'pale comparison'

If the church is anything to go by, this seems unlikely! Looking forward to this build.

There was a Windy Miller on my course at university. Not sure I ever knew his real first name.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Excellent -  a new Big X build!!

Following with interest, although quite how you'll top the church I look forward to seeing.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, badger said:

Excellent -  a new Big X build!!

Following with interest, although quite how you'll top the church I look forward to seeing.

All the best

Ben

Oh blimey - no pressure there then :lol:

• Haha 3

OK - he says in a 'serious fashion' - it really is time to get moving on this one.  There are only 9 weeks left in the GB and though I'm not expecting this one to take 'too long' I have wasted a week, just messing about - so off we go...

I have been googling 'post windmills' all week and I like these - so that's the look I'm going for...

WIND_015.jpg

The picture quality isn't brilliant - but I like the 'faded' white wood / the grey green tarpaulin / dirty brickwork on the one above.

WIND_016.jpg

I like the creamy / greyish white of this one - it looks a little 'neglected' - I don't want white sails though - it could look too bland.

WIND_017.jpg

I like the dark sails - not quite black but maybe NATO black or tyre black.

WIND_018.jpg

basically the opposite of this - if you get my meaning. :D

• Like 5