Solo

On 5/29/2018 at 8:46 PM, Brad said:

After the terrible movie that was TLJ, Disney isn't getting any of my money until KK is ousted from control and the SJW content is cut out. You know I thought they had it nailed with Rogue One, but when you have KK coming out and opening saying they don't need male fans, well in my case, wish granted. They will run star wars into the ground.

What or who is KK? 

What do you mean by SJW content? 

I thought the Last Jedi was cool though a bit long. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bianfuxia said:

What or who is KK? 

What do you mean by SJW content? 

I thought the Last Jedi was cool though a bit long. 

SJW = Social Justice Warrior. For some reason there's a group of so-called "fans" who don't seem to have noticed that the Rebel Alliance is a multi-racial, multi-species, multi-cultural, rainbow collective led by a Princess, fighting to free the poor and downtrodden from the oppressive yoke of the (white, English) Emperor and his (note: HIS) legions of cloned Stormtroopers (hard to miss the Nazi analogy there...), and have decided that warriors for social justice are somehow a bad thing.

All I can say is "weird..."

best,

M.

• Like 3

Let's please not use that 'Social Justice Warrior' label, shall we? In the States, where I currently reside, only right-wingers use that tired, negatively connotated expression. They basically use it to describe anyone to the left of Genghis Khan.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Oh ok, yes I read something about that cohort of the fanbase. 

Somehow their childhood was ruined because a few of the key characters in the new movies aren't white men, right? 

Now I understand that post, sadly.

• Like 2

It's not that simple at all. Not even close.  If you would listen to most media and social media today you can only fall into two camps on TLJ.  Either SJWs or racists.  Those are your only two choices. You liked it?  Well your just one of those libertards who can't think for yourself.  If you hate it? Your just some alt right racist who only likes non diversity in films. I really hope, heck i pray, that people here are a little more wise to the world than that. It's a movie. Your feelings aren't as black and white as all that. It's exhausting. 

IMHO it's a terrible movie. I can't get over the film's flaws, full stop. I couldn't care less about who played who or what ever. Or If some ideal of mine isnt meet. I prefer movies that challenge my ideals. If you liked it. I understand why you do. Again IMHO, there are some great stuff there. Especially with Rey and Luke.  But Solo has absolutely nothing to do with any of it. Dispite having a great cast and a pretty good story, IMHO its getting dragged down with all the political crap from TLJ. 

Kk is Kathleen Kennedy.  She currently runs Lucasfilms. She has said some pretty controversial and mean spirted stuff about the fanbase. If it offends you then that's your right to be upset. If it doesn't that's your right as well.  IMHO her stuff is why Solo is faltering with fans. Which is ironic, because this film is more like the Original Trilogy than any they've done before.  Same lame comedy, same cheesey one liners....etc.

Did I mention that it's all so exhausting?  

Edited by Thud4444
  • Thanks 1

Can we drop all this political and identity politics bilge please, and just discuss the merits or otherwise of the film?  We don't need this on the site, and one member (I think you can all guess who) has gone for a long lie down as a result of his or her comments. :rules:

4 hours ago, Thud4444 said:

She currently runs Lucasfilms. She has said some pretty controversial and mean spirted stuff about the fanbase.

Sounds like a textbook case of "biting the hand that feeds you". :shrug:

I still haven't seen it, so keep the spoilers off the thread please :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I still haven't see it, so keep the spoilers off the thread please :)

You’ll enjoy it. I saw it last week in full glorious IMAX.

Trevor

• Like 3

I haven't seen “Solo” yet. I just go to escape for a couple of hours from my 💩 reality. I could care less about the supposed politics some see in the movies. To me its just another chapter in a story I’ve been following for 41 years. One I will keep following till im ash in an 🛢Or im in a ⚰️.  I couldnt care less about KK. I come to Britmodeller for the same reasons. Pretty much to escape from my 💩reality. I couldn't agree more with Mike about leaving the politics at the door.  

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3

Just back from seeing it and I really enjoyed it. Not a spoiler to say I loved when the original music came up when Chewbacca got into the co-pilot's seat aboard the Falcon.

• Like 2

Went to see this a few days ago, initially i wasn't going to bother as TLJ had really made me somewhat loose interest in Star Wars (despite being a big fan right up until that movie and really looking forward to TLJ beforehand) because of some terrible decisions they made with it, but Solo actually turned out to be far better than i expected. I wouldn't say it was good but at the same time there wasn't really much i had a problem with and it was an enjoyable movie, better than TLJ surprisingly.

Still feel like it was somewhat unnecessary and that we didn't need to have pretty much every Han Solo reference in the original movies explained, but it has somewhat bought back my enjoyment of Star Wars.

We saw Solo at the weekend, it was a lot of fun. I think let down a bit by the guy who played Han - he looked the part and sounded OK, but he didn't seem to know what to do with his hands! Most of the scenes where he's flying the Falcon, aiming a gun or whatever are a bit embarrassing... The rest of the cast were good though, with Donald Glover's Lando and Paul Bettany's villain both excellent and another fun droid. I was convinced L3 would turn out to be played by Gwendoline Christie though!

I thought it was a much easier movie to enjoy than Rogue One, maybe striking a better balance between hitting all the "old Star Wars" notes and making its own way than either TFA or RO. Although I do kinda wish they'd been stealing spice from the spice mines of Kessel rather than magic blue glowing stuff.

NB: I wish the media would stop playing up the "Star Wars fans angry at ____" angle, as I rather suspect it over-represents a loud bigoted minority and makes them seem more important than all the kids and families going to these new movies and really enjoying them (or indeed not enjoying them and talking about it like grown-ups!)

Will

14 hours ago, Will Vale said:

NB: I wish the media would stop playing up the "Star Wars fans angry at ____" angle, as I rather suspect it over-represents a loud bigoted minority and makes them seem more important than all the kids and families going to these new movies and really enjoying them (or indeed not enjoying them and talking about it like grown-ups!)

It's the "Man Bites Dog" aspect. There's no story in a family going to see the film and enjoying it, but if you get some loon dressed as Han complaining that the seats in the Falcon were the wrong colour it gives the general public someone to laugh at.

BTW stealing adapting something I saw in a Doctor Who book:

Stamps were invented to pre-pay the delivery by mail of letters and parcels

Coins were invented to formalise the barter system in the purchase of goods

Railway locomotives were invented to haul passengers between two places

The Star Wars films were made as entertainment, nothing more

People find enjoyment in all four but only one group is mocked for it. Guess which one...

• Like 3

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:07 AM, Mick4350 said:

Even one of the Decraniated makes an appearance in the movie. Thoroughly enjoyable viewing for the three people at the cinema tonight.

Going again tonight and it is going 1 degree C and not a hint of rain with a wind of 20 knots.

I finally watched it last week and really enjoyed it. A bit slow starting but once up to speed it was good.

Woody Harrelson pretty much stole every scene he was in, a long way from tending the bar in Cheers.

• Like 2