Solo

Anybody go see it? I thought it was pretty good. Heads and shoulders above TLJ. All the actors were great. And it was pretty funny, but much of the humor was typical original trilogy. It also had a few surprises, like the big reveal at the ending. I liked the WWI style combat shown with the Imperial infantry. 

Edited by Thud4444
  • Like 2

Saw it at the weekend with my 9 year old son Hugh on a 4K screen.

Me - I liked it too, great to see how Han & Chewie first met, the Falcon, etc. The heists were great and the action scenes terrific, especially the Kessel Run. I wish some of the 'crew' characters got a bit more screentime but only so much you can fit in.

My 9 year old absolutely LOVED it, including the reveal at the end. He also wants to build that Falcon now!

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 2

My expectation was so low, after change of director(s), that acting coach brought for Alden etc.
And I loved it! I loved it so much with many references to OT. A BluRay version is a must for pausing on many scenes to check the details of Falcon, scenery etc. After that TLJ catastrophe (IMHO) it was nice to see SW back on track.

• Like 2

After the terrible movie that was TLJ, Disney isn't getting any of my money until KK is ousted from control and the SJW content is cut out. You know I thought they had it nailed with Rogue One, but when you have KK coming out and opening saying they don't need male fans, well in my case, wish granted. They will run star wars into the ground.

• Like 1

Might have to take the boy to see it then :) I wasn't too impressed with the vehicle designs that I've seen, but if it's not something that spoils the fun, then I'm all for fun.  Rumour has it I'm male too, but I won't let them hold that against me :tease: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It wasn't half bad, it didn't exactly push boundaries or deliver any grand revelations or powerful emotions but it was fun. I did appreciate that it largely treated its cast with respect, it didn't throw them away or completely assassinate and ruin their character. Mentioning no names...

Han spoke and acted like I'd expect a younger less cynical Han to act, Lando was the same charming but not as good as he thinks he is kind of guy, and the new additions were inoffensive enough. The droid was a bit controversial but I reckon it was played as a parody of a certain section of the fanbase, one review suggested it was meant to be a dig at KK herself.

Not as good as Rogue One but better than TFA. Did get a bit of a nostalgia pang once or twice, and great to see the regular army of the Empire instead of just stormtroopers.

• Like 2

Thanks for the candid reviews. Off the back of these I’m thinking of going to see it Friday.

(Very much hoping for loads and loads of SJW content - that we’re rooting for the underdogs tackling an injust, militaristic and inhumane regime is kind of the point of the whole series, no?)

Even one of the Decraniated makes an appearance in the movie. Thoroughly enjoyable viewing for the three people at the cinema tonight.

28 minutes ago, Mick4350 said:

Decraniated

You mean decaffeinated, surely? :hmmm:

Can we be careful NOT to post any spoilers in this thread please, as no-one likes to have their potential movie-going fun spoiled by thoughtless or especially spiteful revelations. :fight:

• Like 1

Decraniated. Basically a human droid.

Decraniated-SWCT

I was excited that these guys are officially cannon now!

2018-05-29_10-58-00

Imperial army troopers. Basically if the Empire is Soviet Russia, these guys are your bog standard conscripts. While Stormtroopers are like the Guards units.

• Like 5

In my view it’s a rare example of a film that ends better than it starts. I found the first 15 minutes or so pretty ‘cringy’ but then ‘bam!’ It ‘hits its straps’ and stays good from then on.

My family went to see it together and even the two family members who count themselves as non-Star Wars fans enjoyed it a lot.

IMHO its way better than the awful, pointlessly destructive, plotless, rambling ‘Last Jedi’ debacle.

• Like 1

On 29/05/2018 at 19:04, Thud4444 said:

I was excited that these guys are officially cannon now!

2018-05-29_10-58-00

Imperial army troopers. Basically if the Empire is Soviet Russia, these guys are your bog standard conscripts. While Stormtroopers are like the Guards units.

I've yet to see the film, but aren't these Mud/Swamptroopers? I thought they were meant to be just another environment or planet focused variant of Stormtrooper.

• Like 1

Yea, that's what they are called. In the film it's heavily implied that they are pretty much just Imperial wash outs. The recruiter who signs Han basically tells him he'll be in the conscript infantry. According to the lore people, perhaps they are more like the US Army. While the Stormtroopers are more like the USMC.  They have a long winded excuse as to why they have not been in the film's much. For example,  the  General leading the assault on Echo base on Hoth was supposedly one of these guys.  Somebody on the official Reddit AMA asked if the Snowtroopers and Sandtroopers where actually these guys too. But last I checked he hasn't received an answer yet.

Your not wrong, they have been around for awhile. But having sat through the purging of Star Wars by Disney, it isn't really cannon to me unless it's on film.  That's why i was excited to see them. Which makes the big reveal at the end especially shocking. 

Edited by Thud4444

Hello Thud,

thank you for your comment on my blinder.

I am a fan of SW too, didnt see the movie yet because of critics here (i always ask my son, fan too), but saw what Revell brings to Solos theme. I shot the pic at Nuremberg you can see my bagpack lost in space. The Imperium is back now (RoG) :)

Cheers,

Tom

imperium_0091

• Like 2

I thought it better than even TFA. A rollicking good romp. The actor playing young Han was decent enough although there was something ‘missing’ from his portrayal - maybe it’s Harrison Ford’s voice!

There are a few twists and turns and some surprises. MH junior is a SW ultra nerd and got some of the more obscure references. He went with low expectations and came away pleased.

I give it four sprues out of five.

Trevor

• Like 4

On 31/05/2018 at 05:29, Thud4444 said:

Yea, that's what they are called. In the film it's heavily implied that they are pretty much just Imperial wash outs. The recruiter who signs Han basically tells him he'll be in the conscript infantry. According to the lore people, perhaps they are more like the US Army. While the Stormtroopers are more like the USMC.  They have a long winded excuse as to why they have not been in the film's much. For example,  the  General leading the assault on Echo base on Hoth was supposedly one of these guys.  Somebody on the official Reddit AMA asked if the Snowtroopers and Sandtroopers where actually these guys too. But last I checked he hasn't received an answer yet.

Your not wrong, they have been around for awhile. But having sat through the purging of Star Wars by Disney, it isn't really cannon to me unless it's on film.  That's why i was excited to see them. Which makes the big reveal at the end especially shocking. 

Looking at the wiki it seems you're right, they're a type of Imperial Army trooper rather than a variant of stormtrooper. It's became so convoluted as to what Imperial Stormtroopers are actually classed as in terms of training and all that, Rogue One even had them as generic prison guards, so i'm hoping the canon inclusion of the Imperial Army does somewhat take Stormtroopers back to the level of somewhat elite.

What's the AMA you're referring to? Tried to find it but couldn't.

One of Disney's lore people had an AMA on Reddit a few weeks ago. Somebody asked about the Sandtroopers and Snowtroopers being regular army instead of a variant of the Stormtrooper. I don't think they answered him. It was somebody on that AMA that compared them to Soviet troops.  It was my idea to compare them to the US military.  Based on the idea that you mostly see Stormtroopers on and around star ships.  But that doesn't account for Rogue One.  Unless she was in a naval prison, but that's kind of a stretch ain't it?

Edit : I can't find it either. Maybe it was taken down?

Edited by Thud4444

On 02/06/2018 at 22:33, Thud4444 said:

One of Disney's lore people had an AMA on Reddit a few weeks ago. Somebody asked about the Sandtroopers and Snowtroopers being regular army instead of a variant of the Stormtrooper. I don't think they answered him. It was somebody on that AMA that compared them to Soviet troops.  It was my idea to compare them to the US military.  Based on the idea that you mostly see Stormtroopers on and around star ships.  But that doesn't account for Rogue One.  Unless she was in a naval prison, but that's kind of a stretch ain't it?

Edit : I can't find it either. Maybe it was taken down?

That idea sounds a bit strange to me in the first place, really. Why would someone think Sandtroopers, Snowtroopers, Spacetroopers etc might not be a variant of stormtrooper? General Veers on Hoth had an Imperial Army uniform, but if that's the standard issue uniform then it makes sense for him to have that - he isn't a Stormtrooper directly, he's a general.

• Like 2

I think what you’re going for is canon, not cannon-fodder. And, err... do you guys not think you’re maybe over analysing this  a bit? They’re just baddies, the same way that Mountain Troops in Where Eagles Dare, Afrika Korps in The Desert Fox, and Nazis, I hate those guys in Indiana Jones are... the Empire doesn’t have Poor Bloody Infantry, by definition...

best,

M.

• Like 1