HO/OO Village Church +++ COMPLETED +++

I have done the extra masking - so it's grass time.  I had PVA glue and 'some' grass in - but as I was at Hobby craft I had a look and picked up some new bits.

CHURCH_099bot.jpg

Under no circumstances google the price of this sprayer bottle at Hobbycraft - I have no clue what I was thinking at the time - I have dozens of sprayer bottles in the garage - that just need a good wash - so what do I do...

...I bought this and the bottle on the left is basically watered down PVA - we live and learn eh :doh:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I bought some trees already in preparation for this stage - but tonight I picked up some bushes too....

CHURCH_099bush.jpg

...and some more grass - as it's quite a big bit of real estate...

CHURCH_099grass.jpg

• Like 2

So with the extra masking done it was time to use that very expensive sprayer...

CHURCH_100.jpg

then I applied some grass - note I filled in the graves with more masking tape...

CHURCH_101.jpg

I've pulled a bit of the masking away now and it seems to have done it's job.

• Like 5

I think that is as far as I'm going to get tonight - I don't want to 'push my luck' after the 'disaster with the plaster' as I'm now calling it...

I've removed the rest of the extra masking - but I think it really needs to dry out overnight now...

CHURCH_102.jpg

I will do some work on my war memorial though.  I've just glued it together and I'm going to prime it and try to spray a 'stone look' coating on before bed - I'll be back in the morning with an update.

It's been a tough 24 hours - especially when this is supposed to be fun.

Thanks for looking in - Steve

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, BIG X said:

It's been a tough 24 hours - especially when this is supposed to be fun.

Thanks for looking in - Steve

Almost as tough for us watching along with you :giggle:

Looking really good now though and there's no danger of future breaking or cracking with the balsa, plus I imagine its a fair bit lighter?

Shall remember that as a tip for when I need to build up groundwork :like:

All the best

Ben

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, badger said:

Almost as tough for us watching along with you :giggle:

Looking really good now though and there's no danger of future breaking or cracking with the balsa, plus I imagine its a fair bit lighter?

Shall remember that as a tip for when I need to build up groundwork :like:

All the best

Ben

Cheers Ben - you were the inspiration - full credit to you.  I've really enjoyed working with the Balsa tonight it is lovely for cutting and then 'chiselling out'.

BTW - If you ever want any foamboard - you now know where to come :winkgrin:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BIG X said:

TOP TIP - keep any plastic cards you find - they are great for spreading glue around and also as good as evergreen for cutting and punching strips when scratch building stuff.

Arrr. Not this then:

80dd2143-89c8-4927-a3ba-80875a171784.JPG

I must admit they aren't of much practical use in this form.

• Haha 2

Morning folks - I've just had a notification to say my 'express delivery' of electricals for the lighting are all arriving today... :yahoo:

I had a quick mess early this morning and the 'grass' seems to have 'dried' or 'set' or whatever the right phrase is...

CHURCH_103.jpg

The wall sits snugly round it - so I must have got it on straight.  As you can see I've picked out the masking in the 'voids' for the gravestones - so I've started popping them in - war memorial first...

CHURCH_104.jpg

CHURCH_105.jpg

It is so easy to get 'sucked in' and I was nearly late in setting off for work - but before I left I popped on a few of the 'bushes' - which are actually just green bits of sponge to my eyes...

CHURCH_106.jpg

I'll maybe even plant a couple of trees tonight.

Catch you all later - Steve

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

I fear we have lost you from the winged community.........😁

I may start making cuckoo clocks - what do you think??? 

• Haha 7

This Church is really taking shape both quickly and by all accounts most splendidly. When it’s all finished I might have to pop on over to visit the Vicar and say a few belated Hail Marys! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 3

On 6/18/2018 at 11:28 PM, BIG X said:

...Oh No - it's one of those moments I seem to get in every build...

ARRGGGHHHH!!!!!!

...I've forgotten to put the flippin' bell in the tower :doh:

I was going to say 'Isn't there supposed to be a bell in the tower' but I'm catching up on 8 pages of posts as you've been so busy the last few days!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Kallisti said:

I was going to say 'Isn't there supposed to be a bell in the tower' but I'm catching up on 8 pages of posts as you've been so busy the last few days!

Busy...  Busy isn't the word - manic is more like it...

...We've got Songs of Praise coming to film... :mental:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I know its too late and it probably fails your "I've got the patience of a demented gibbon" test, but I regularly use claycrete, aka pre-mashed papier mache for ground work as it gives a very earth-like rough texture, and while its drying is sticky enough for various scatter and foliage bits to stick to it. You saw its effects in the Road Hogs diorama I posted on the Pontoon bridge thread and in my more recent Scammell Pioneer recovery dio

DSC_0055.JPG

The big downside is it can take a few days to dry...

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, Kallisti said:

I know its too late and it probably fails your "I've got the patience of a demented gibbon" test, but I regularly use claycrete, aka pre-mashed papier mache for ground work as it gives a very earth-like rough texture, and while its drying is sticky enough for various scatter and foliage bits to stick to it. You saw its effects in the Road Hogs diorama I posted on the Pontoon bridge thread and in my more recent Scammell Pioneer recovery dio

DSC_0055.JPG

The big downside is it can take a few days to dry...

WOW - That's amazing - I'll get there one day...

• Thanks 1

Evening all - as good ol' Dixon of Dock Green would say...

I arrived at the scene of the crime at approximately 5pm - but don't tell my boss... :winkgrin:

Upon entry to the premises I found 'a number of odd looking packages' behind the front door.  Upon further inspection they turned out to be some very strange looking electrical 'devices'.

But as they say - 'More on that story later'....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

...In other news...

I thought it might be a nice 'touch' to get a member of the royal family to plant a tree for me in the church gardens.  However, Megan and Kate both expressed doubts about ruining their high heels in the long grass.  So I’ve had to plant them myself…

CHURCH_107.jpg

I’ve pulled the rest of the masking off now…

CHURCH_108.jpg

…and I’m rather pleased with my war memorial – it looks like stone to me at least.

CHURCH_109.jpg

• Like 14

Well it's looking pretty much done now...

CHURCH_112.jpg

CHURCH_114.jpg

CHURCH_115.jpg

We just need to look at these 'electrics' that have turned up...

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Man, this is looking the business. 

A nice poppy wreath in front front of the war memorial would be the icing on the cake. No pressure..... 😜

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Slow down man! You're putting the most of the rest of us to shame with 2 builds under your belt!😁

Fantastic job.👌

remember i want to see the commandos in the kayaks!! 👍

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

remember i want to see the commandos in the kayaks!! 👍

Good job predictive text didn't change THE before commandos to you...that could have been embarrassing 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Antb said:

Man, this is looking the business. 

A nice poppy wreath in front front of the war memorial would be the icing on the cake. No pressure..... 😜

OH WOW - What a brilliant idea - I'll need to ponder it - but that is pure genius - I need to sort out the wiring first though :winkgrin:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2