HO/OO Village Church +++ COMPLETED +++

Wow - that is most impressive!! 

The lighting idea is genius - really intrigued as to how that will look.

Pathway and wall are just the icing on the cake!

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

1 minute ago, badger said:

Wow - that is most impressive!! 

The lighting idea is genius - really intrigued as to how that will look.

Pathway and wall are just the icing on the cake!

All the best

Ben

Cheers Ben - A 'proper' modeller would just have bought a battery box and some LEDs - but I've never been a whizz with electrics or tried soldering :blush:

At least this solution means I can easily recharge the power bank and with the LEDs on their lowest setting it could actually stay lit for days I reckon - something I'll have to test when all the bits get here.

I did have a play at putting my phone inside whilst it was lit up - it looks promising - but I can't take a picture as...

...I use my phone for taking pictures :doh::mental::lol:

• Like 3

Well, I have had several examples of this kit over the years, starting from when it was first issued - MANY moons ago and my Dad built it for my model railway. As the years rolled by, I built it once or twice more, getting better at modelling all the time. However, I have never got one to the standard of this build, which is simply amazing. I recall the last build of mine had a musical box wind-up motor inside simulating bell chimes. However, probably unrealistic as the small tower in this kit is only large enough for one bell. Happy days! 

Edited by AMB
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, AMB said:

Well, I have had several examples of this kit over the years, starting from when it was first issued - MANY moons ago and my Dad built it for my model railway. As the years rolled by, I built it once or twice more, getting better at modelling all the time. However, I have never got one to the standard of this build, which is simply amazing. I recall the last build of mine had a musical box wind-up motor inside simulating bell chimes. However, probably unrealistic as the small tower in this kit is only large enough for one bell. Happy days! 

Thanks Adrian - that is a really nice thing to say.  I only became aware of the kit when I started looking for things I could build in the GB.  It is proving to be great fun and that's why I'm here.  I'm no 'professional modeller' - just an amateur and a junior one at that - having fun and learning something new everyday.  If it looks good - it's more by accident than design. :doh:

Glad you like - I hope you'll pop back when I get the lights in - Steve

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Thanks Adrian - that is a really nice thing to say.  I only became aware of the kit when I started looking for things I could build in the GB.  It is proving to be great fun and that's why I'm here.  I'm no 'professional modeller' - just an amateur and a junior one at that - having fun and learning something new everyday.  If it looks good - it's more by accident than design. :doh:

Glad you like - I hope you'll pop back when I get the lights in - Steve

Absolutely!  Triang also made very nice OO-guage larger church kit that I had as a kid and that included printed stained glass windows on an acetate sheet. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AMB said:

Absolutely!  Triang also made very nice OO-guage larger church kit that I had as a kid and that included printed stained glass windows on an acetate sheet. 

I had a quick look around to see if anyone made 'after-market' windows for this one - but couldn't find any - so sized and printed my own - someone is missing a trick here.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, AMB said:

I recall the last build of mine had a musical box wind-up motor inside simulating bell chimes.

...Oh No - it's one of those moments I seem to get in every build...

ARRGGGHHHH!!!!!!

...I've forgotten to put the flippin' bell in the tower :doh:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, BIG X said:

...Oh No - it's one of those moments I seem to get in every build...

ARRGGGHHHH!!!!!!

...I've forgotten to put the flippin' bell in the tower :doh:

D’oh! 

Actually, it might be simpler to attempt slats in the openings. It’s very rare to see an open bell tower in British churches and chapels. Then again, I’m not certain you’re trying to make a British church, are you? Perhaps I’ve misunderstood what you’re planning - wouldn’t be the first time I’ve got the wrong end of a stick! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been 'working from home' this morning & I think we all know what that means... :whistle:

Having to paint & varnish both sides of the wall - whilst it was 'waving around like a snake' 🐍 was proving to be a bit of a beggar - so I've temporarily added a bit of plastic strip to keep it all square...

CHURCH_085.jpg

I will remove the strip later though.  Anyway - after I had done a little 'proper work' (whilst the varnish dried) I needed to pin wash both sides of the wall...

CHURCH_086.jpg

...and varnish AGAIN - it's a good job I was up at 6am - I think it looks pretty good...

CHURCH_087.jpg

• Like 10

The main reason I wanted to get to this stage was to get the 'soft landscaping' in.  I tried the BBC - but Alan Titchmarsh, Tommy Walsh and good old Charlie Dimmock weren't interested - so it's down to me and some air drying clay.

You may remember this...

CHURCH_072e.jpg

I've never used anything like this before - but what could possibly go wrong - it looks easy enough.  I tested a small piece on a slab of Perspex - with plastic over the top - to see how things press into it...

CHURCH_091.jpg

The plastic peeled off easily and SWMBO's cake slice neatly removed it from the Perspex - so off we go.

• Like 1

Now I know I've been offered some great advice about gravestone placement and please don't think I'm being 'wilful', but after looking at my own church - where I was christened - I am going with my original plan for the graves - as it looks 'pretty'...

CHURCH_087h.jpg

So another quick 'dry run'...

CHURCH_088.jpg

...and another picture as a reminder...

CHURCH_089.jpg

That war memorial is looking good - heaven knows how I'm going to get all the names engraved on it though... :doh:

• Like 5

I rooted high and low for a rolling pin that I'm sure SWMBO possesses - but I couldn't find it anywhere - I'll bet she has hidden it - as she knew what I had planned for today.

So with the aid of a milk bottle I have wrestled this out...

CHURCH_092.jpg

CHURCH_093.jpg

...it took ages and it smells of 'wet dogs' - nice...

wet-dog-smell.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It’s your model, and you do what you want! All I’ve offered is advice, and I’m not going to take umbrage if you choose another route. :wink:

The stones in your local church are likely stood against the perimeter wall. This is usually done if the grave they were associated with was reused for a different burial, or otherwise fallen into disrepair or neglect.

I find it funny that I’m coughing up all this ecclesiastical stuff when I’ve been an atheist my entire life!

• Haha 5

25 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

It’s your model, and you do what you want! All I’ve offered is advice, and I’m not going to take umbrage if you choose another route. :wink:

The stones in your local church are likely stood against the perimeter wall. This is usually done if the grave they were associated with was reused for a different burial, or otherwise fallen into disrepair or neglect.

I find it funny that I’m coughing up all this ecclesiastical stuff when I’ve been an atheist my entire life!

Some are indeed close to the wall - some aren't... :wink:

ahath.jpg 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

Agreed, two other reasons, H&S to minimise the risk of stoes falling over, and to ease maintenance so the ride on mower has good access to the grassed areas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

Surely you could fit in a quick village Post Office or Pub build in whilst you’re waiting?!😏

This stuff isn't drying at all - I thought it was designed for kids - how they expect kids to have so much patience I don't know - but I have a 'cunning plan'...

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

Careful about accelerating the drying process it cracks like you wouldn’t believe.

...whoops...  I have been using a hairdryer on it - no sign of cracking at the moment - it is 'sweating' though - I've dabbed it dry with loads of kitchen towel and boy does it stink.  I think I'll leave it now - I may have rolled it out too thickly I think...

• Like 2

I was just going to suggest Mrs X's 'spare' hairdryer - don't get on the wrong side now or you and your 'stinky toy' may end up on the street! Seriously though, I think patience is the answer, worth putting aside for a while. Maybe a search on BM or elsewhere may throw up someone else's similar experience. Good luck and fingers crossed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

...whoops...  I have been using a hairdryer on it - no sign of cracking at the moment - it is 'sweating' though - I've dabbed it dry with loads of kitchen towel and boy does it stink.  I think I'll leave it now - I may have rolled it out too thickly I think...

Ewwww  - good job we don't have smellovision on BM!

Maybe a nice warm airing cupboard?

If it does crack then you could fill them in with polyfilla.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aye up Steve.

Smashing job. Mrs fatfingers has used the same clay in the past on her own crafty projects. She made a 'green man' face. T'was about half inch thick and it took quite a while to dry. She left it in conservatory and it dried fine over a few days. Might be best left alone for a bit if you can to avoid it cracking :hourglass:B)

Regards 

Steve 

Edited by fatfingers
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1