HO/OO Village Church +++ COMPLETED +++

Looking rather smart steve. 

Love how how quickly you get stuff done and to a great standard too! 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Antb said:

Looking rather smart steve. 

Love how how quickly you get stuff done and to a great standard too! 

I think I may be getting faster - but I'm not sure about the quality side of things.  Having a permanent work space and no family to speak of - other than Mrs X of course - definitely gives you more time to dip in and out of projects though.  SWMBO is more than happy for me to 'vanish' for an hour or so several times a day - so I'm not under her feet - so to speak and not making a mess around the rest of the house.  She was never keen when I was using rattle cans on the patio and then putting stuff on the kitchen tops to 'dry'.  But since I got my spray booth and airbrush - along with 'odourless products' - she has calmed down a lot.

Speaking of which - I need to vanish again to put another layer of varnish over these washes - before I smudge them.  I don't know about you, but don't you find it's all the cleaning up that takes the time - not the actual work itself.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I like to keep things tidy as I go for a few reasons. The main one being that if I leave something out the kids or the boss will make sure it disappears never to be found ever again.....

• Haha 3

I'm a bit disappointed no one noticed the drain pipes though - fiddly little beggars they were...

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, BIG X said:

I'm a bit disappointed no one noticed the drain pipes though - fiddly little beggars they were...

And painted with that regulation gloss black gloop that went on an inch thick and took months to dry so you were forever getting it on your school uniform. Or was that just me?

Andy

Mucky pup

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Foxbat said:

And painted with that regulation gloss black gloop that went on an inch thick and took months to dry so you were forever getting it on your school uniform. Or was that just me?

Andy

Mucky pup

Nope a quick spray of Halfords black primer and then a dip in quick drying Humbrol gloss varnish - oh where were Halfords when we were kids - to my recollection they only sold bikes...

• Like 3

Looking utterly and beautifully excellent 

• Thanks 1

I think it is time for a bit of 'customisation' or BIG Xery as @badger might call it.  The first thing I have noticed is that the front 'porch' floor will be visible - but there isn't a 'floor' in the kit...

CHURCH_050a.jpg

...now I have a load of slaters plasticard with all different brick textures - so I am going to have a root through for something suitable - I'll get back to you on that one.

The other gaping hole - well the other 13 gaping holes are the windows.  I don't want it to look 'bombed out' so we are going to need windows.  I have spent the last 20 minutes measuring all the apertures with my micrometer and guess what - no two are the same size.

I have just printed a 'hatched' pattern on some white paper - to see how it looks for scale...

CHURCH_052.jpg

CHURCH_053.jpg

CHURCH_054.jpg

I think it looks OK - but I need to print it on a clear film.  Now I have some, but it is up in the loft and Madame X has retired to bed - so if I go banging around up there at this time of night she will go mental - so I'll have to leave that until morning.

Now I have the measurements I might see if I can find any 'stained glass' window images on the web - it's a long shot - but worth a try.

Its been a very productive day and thanks for all the support and positive comments - a real boost to the mojo - Steve

• Like 10

Looking fantastic mate!!

You really have excelled yourself this time!

Great idea for the windows.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, badger said:

Looking fantastic mate!!

You really have excelled yourself this time!

Great idea for the windows.

All the best

Ben

Cheers mate - I'm 'burning the midnight oil' but I think I've found some stained glass images that might work.  I'm just trying to resize them all for printing in the morning.  I don't know if the detail in them will be 'too much' and get lost in the tiny size - but nothing ventured - nothing gained as they say.

I've also found a nice stone patterned plasticard sheet that seems the right scale for the front door area.  I've cut it and primed it already.  I'll paint it / varnish it / wash it in the morning. 

Then I think it will be another trip over to Widnes to get some 'treats' from Hattons.  Hopefully it will be worth the 2 hour round trip though - I've seen some nice 'bits' I fancy.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Cheers mate - I'm 'burning the midnight oil' 

Me too - should have been in bed ages ago really but wanted to finish off the latest one.

Stained glass windows would really set this off and add a nice splash of colour so looking forward to seeing those.

A nice stone floor will be just the ticket for the porch

Enjoy your trip - hope you manage to get some suitable treats and it's worth the journey.

Right - off to bed now as can't stop yawning!

All the best

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 1

Lots to do today - I started my 'porch' floor last night and finished it this morning...

CHURCH_051.jpg

...maybe not the sharpest picture but I think it looks good.  Hopefully you can see all the notches in it - so it fits snugly - but I'm not fixing it in permanently until I have finished - so it will probably be in and out / in and out. 

• Like 5

Here is a quick walkaround in the cold light of morning...

CHURCH_055.jpg

CHURCH_056.jpg

CHURCH_057.jpg

CHURCH_058.jpg

...it DEFINITELY needs windows.

• Like 10

The good thing about this excellent church is that you could possibly get away with not actually leaving the house to still take your weekly sermon! 

This is turning out to be one fantastic build and I apologies for concentrating on the more wingy things of this GB, rather than checking up on these 'other' builds. I'm very impressed X. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a proper door that goes inside the porch - I painted it gold first...

CHURCH_059.jpg

Then covered it in black wash...

CHURCH_060.jpg

...so when this has thoroughly dried I can give it a quick wipe over and all the door studs will hopefully come back up gold.

Whilst the black wash was out I spotted a bit I missed on the front...

CHURCH_061.jpg

The crosses either side of the front entrance really needed some 'depth' - so I just 'pooled' in some black was and let it dry - I think it works.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Rabbit Leader said:

The good thing about this excellent church is that you could possibly get away with not actually leaving the house to still take your weekly sermon! 

This is turning out to be one fantastic build and I apologies for concentrating on the more wingy things of this GB, rather than checking up on these 'other' builds. 

I'm very impressed X. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave - praise indeed.  I think I said earlier that the great thing about this GB is that all sorts of 'unusual' items are getting a wider audience than they would normally.

The Golden Hind / The Rolls Royce / The Girder Bridge / The Lifeguard / The Lowmac & JCB / The Aston Martin would all be 'lost' in the far reaches of the forum if it wasn't for this GB.

• Like 2

As soon as SWMBO was up and about this morning, I took the opportunity to get into the loft and found the inkjet printable OHP film that I knew was lurking up there.  OHP's - how dated does that sound...

...who would have guessed I would find a new use for this.

CHURCH_063.jpg

These looked a bit too 'graphic' and in my excitement I forgot to get a picture of the others before I stuck them in - but here they are - suck in...

CHURCH_065.jpg

• Like 3

A quick test with the blinds drawn and all the lights out - except for a spotlight...

CHURCH_066.jpg

...WOOHOO...

• Like 9

I'm off out shopping now - I have a wish list as long as my arm - so this may take a while - catch you later.

• Like 1

I'm back and the wallet is a few quid lighter.  However more on that shortly.  The PVA holding the windows in seems to be going off OK - so time for another quick walkaround with the windows all in place and most importantly - not slipping down the inside of the building...

CHURCH_068.jpg

CHURCH_069.jpg

CHURCH_070.jpg

CHURCH_071.jpg

I'm now wondering if I could get some sort of lighting in there - it could look good.  Thanks @nimrod54 that's your fault for putting the idea in my head. :lol:

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

Now - thanks to some 'friendly' baiting from @Ratch @MarkSH @Ventora3300 and some others - it is time to start work on the churchyard.  I was always going to have it situated on a bit of 'something' - but you guys have spurred me on to make something 'proper'.

So I've been out and picked up a few bits...

I'm going to need a pathway and a wall - so I got a 'few' packs of these...

CHURCH_072.jpg

The corners of the church have 'quoins' or corner stones - so it would be nice if the wall had the same...

CHURCH_072a.jpg

...now there was a lot of talk about gravestones - with inscriptions - in French of all things...

...I know when I'm beaten - but not wanting to let you down I have cheated and bought some 'ready made tombstones...

CHURCH_072c.jpg

...however - I have trumped you all and found a model kit of a WAR MEMORIAL...

CHURCH_072b.jpg

I know it is only a 3 part 'kit' - but I will have to 'make' it - I'm sure it could stretch to a 3 page thread on it's own... :mental: :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

I was just about to suggest putting some lighting in there as well or maybe some sound effects what about 'All things bright and beautiful' or a peal of bells!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, MarkSH said:

I was just about to suggest putting some lighting in there as well or maybe some sound effects what about 'All things bright and beautiful' or a peal of bells!

If I can get an ultra-tiny MP3 player and one of those tiny speakers that plugs into it's jack - we may be onto something...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1