HO/OO Village Church +++ COMPLETED +++

That looks properly good and has a real character!

Be interesting to see how you go about painting it.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

The outside has had a quick shot of basic Halfords grey primer and I've sprayed the inside with black primer - so you can't see anything from outside...

CHURCH_031.jpg

You can probably see the huge slabs of Perspex that have pulled all four roof sections flat though.

and the last thing for now - I've sprayed a dark grey on the roof tiles - I want to try and blend and/or contrast the tiles as they form quite a major part of the build...

CHURCH_032.jpg  

CHURCH_033.jpg

• Like 3

I took some research pictures a few months back out of my front and back window - we live in a very 'grey slate roof' area...

CHURCH_034.jpg

CHURCH_035.jpg

It is pretty obvious that with a natural material such as slate - no two tiles are going to be the same.  I don't want to go over the top - so I am just going to pick out a few and paint them in a lighter shade.  MUST REMEMBER - LESS IS MORE - LESS IS MORE - LESS IS MORE...

I'll hopefully be back in a while after I have masked them off for spraying - this is fun...

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Well I've been up and down those ladders and climbing all over the roof to get the masking done...

CHURCH_036.jpg

That's the front and here is the back...

CHURCH_037.jpg

REMEMBER...  Less is more and so on...

• Like 5

I'm going to do some darker and some lighter - but I'll be honest - I'm not sure it will be any good...

CHURCH_038.jpg

...how they can both be called medium sea grey is beyond me...  :mental: I would love a job at Vallejo - it wouldn't be hard to make a 'positive contribution' to their sales and marketing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

11 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up Steve.

Great jod and nice to see some 'spoon action' in the thread!

Regards 

Steve 

Was just enjoying the spoon appearance myself!

• Haha 3

Excellent work Steve love it,I might build one someday I have a diorama lurking around in my head!

Edited by stevej60
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Antb said:

One does have the prefix "BS" so I wonder..... 

Hmmm....  I'm smelling Bull S... on the part of Vallejo - but very useful that they are different on this occasion :lol:

1 hour ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up Steve.

Great job and nice to see some 'spoon action' in the thread!

Regards 

Steve 

Aye up Steve - Mike was good enough to give me my own emoji because of my love of the painted spoon :spoon:so thanks @Mike too :winkgrin:

1 hour ago, badger said:

Was just enjoying the spoon appearance myself!

I'm pleased your pleased mate - always happy to cheer you up :star:

4 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Excellent work Steve love it,I might build one someday I have a diorama lurking around in my head!

...tell us more...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Take three Spitfire's and the village church with a bit of work on the church  Steve,

I suspect there's a deeper need Steve. I think that like Lenny Godber in Porridge, you just want to wear a surplice. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, stevej60 said:

.........,the village church with a bit of work on the church

You're not proposing 'weathering' to that extent, are you.....?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Take three Spitfire's and the village church with a bit of work on the church

You know what Steve - Mrs Miniver is actually one of my favourite films - I may have to organise a flower show in the church yard :winkgrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have had a long time to research this build and looked at hundreds of pictures on the web - this one shows a German anti-tank position encountered by the 11th Armoured Division.

CHURCH_039.jpg

So I'm going to use the stonework colour as the basis for my church - kind of sandy yellow.

• Like 3

The 'highlights' / 'low lights' have been masked over on the roof and the first sandy blast was applied first thing this morning...

CHURCH_040.jpg

...bits of the grey primer are still showing through in places - but I like the effect.

I wish I hadn't glued the crosses over the door and in the middle of the roof though - they are a 'bit fragile' - I've already bent both of them :doh:

• Like 5

I've just had a couple turn up - looking to book a wedding - I've told them the vicar isn't about  :mental:

• Haha 9

I have given things a second and third 'dusting' to try and vary the sandy tones...

CHURCH_041.jpg

CHURCH_042.jpg

CHURCH_043.jpg

I don't think these pictures show the effect very well.  It really needs a gloss coat now so I can get some 'grouting' between the brickwork - but it's Saturday - so ASDA beckons - I'll pull the masking off the roof and gloss it when I back.

Catch yer later and thanks for looking in - Steve

• Like 8

So ASDA is done for another week - here 'she' is with the masking tape removed...

CHURCH_044.jpg

CHURCH_045.jpg

...time for a gloss coat and then a wash - yes I know a 'wash' - unusual for some modellers :lol:

• Like 7

16 hours ago, BIG X said:

Mike was good enough to give me my own emoji because of my love of the painted spoon :spoon:so thanks @Mike too :winkgrin:

I'd forgotten about that :doh:

• Haha 1

Just now, Pete in Lincs said:

Isn't about what?

How about a touch of green moss on that roof?

Hey Pete - I spent hours clearing the moss off the roof and removing all the dead leaves from the gutters whilst I was up there applying all that masking tape :lol:

But being serious for a moment - I know that's unusual for me - looking at all the slate roofs around my house - moss doesn't seem to grow on them.  The newer houses with modern roofing materials seem mossy - but not the old slate ones.  I may add a 'mist' of green later in the build - I'll see how the other weathering goes first.

As for the vicar - he isn't 'about'... to sober up any time soon.  I found him round the back of the church with what I suspect to be a bottle of communion wine. :winkgrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

The gloss has now dried...

CHURCH_046.jpg

...time for some weathering washes to bring out the slates and the grouting...

It's all go here - back later :winkgrin:

• Like 10

There's a house in Lincoln that hasn't had any maintenance in years.

Now it's had some tiles replaced in seemingly random clusters.

It looks like space invaders up there!

Mrs Miniver had occurred to me too.

• Like 1