HO/OO Village Church +++ COMPLETED +++

Looking forward to more Big X shenanigans with this build!

Who'd have thought I'd be following someone building a church - this gb really has thrown up some very offbeat subjects!!

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, badger said:

Looking forward to more Big X shenanigans with this build!

Who'd have thought I'd be following someone building a church - this gb really has thrown up some very offbeat subjects!!

All the best

Ben

...it's a funny of old world indeed...

...if this wasn't a Group Build entry - then this build would be lost in the farthest reaches of the forum and I'd be rambling away to myself - but now I get the chance to ramble in front of a crowd :lol: :mental:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, shatters said:

Everything you do seems to attract a crowd 😎

Phil

What - like a car crash :lol:

• Haha 7

OK Guys and Gals - I've had a productive evening - drinking wine - catching up on loads of stuff here on the forum AND starting my church.  As a quick re-cap - as we are 2 pages in and we haven't done a thing yet - here are the parts again - all 42 of them - so quite a BIG build by my recent standards...

CHURCH_015.jpg

On closer inspection - when I laid them out - it became pretty obvious that the 1958 vintage of the kit is pretty apparent.  We have some very 'wavy' parts...

CHURCH_016.jpg

In the foreground is the front of the building and behind it is one of the roof sections - but they are just a representation - as everything is equally BENT :doh:

But hey - isn't that what this GB is all about... No Pain - No Gain as they say.

• Like 5

The flash is pretty monumental too...

CHURCH_017.jpg

...and the thickness of some of the parts is a tad 'dubious' - the ridge tiles are over 3 inches thick - lets hope they don't come loose in any foul weather - as they could kill someone :lol:

CHURCH_018.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Anyway - I thought I had better make a start - or we could be here until Christmas - so as there aren't any detailed instructions to speak of - putting the main 4 walls together looked like a good idea...

CHURCH_019.jpg

Boy those walls are wavy and a quick test of the roof parts showed that they would fall in on the congregation - which would never do. 

Anyway next up was the vestry or whatever it might be called - the 'smaller bit'...

CHURCH_020.jpg

• Like 6

At this point I decided some radical action was required - so I cut a couple of cross members from 4.4mm styrene - to try and straighten the walls up...

CHURCH_021.jpg

I cut them to the same size as the side walls and then glued the ends and pushed the bowing front and back walls back to a proper shape.  Let's see if it has done the trick in the morning.

It feels good to get going on this one and I hope a few of you will tag along - I have heard there are places available in the choir - so we will need volunteers.

Night all :sleep_1:

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, BIG X said:

The flash is pretty monumental too...

CHURCH_017.jpg

...and the thickness of some of the parts is a tad 'dubious' - the ridge tiles are over 3 inches thick - lets hope they don't come loose in any foul weather - as they could kill someone :lol:

CHURCH_018.jpg

Part of the charm of these Airfix buildings is the 'chunkiness'. And the church has it in buckets. I actually think that it gives the building a solidity it deserves and makes it look authentic even though it's obviously nowhere near scale. 

• Like 2

I'm in. I can't sing, can't dance, but who cares, right? 

Interesting build this this one steve will be interesting to see how she (it?) turns out. Can you call a building she? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 825 said:

Part of the charm of these Airfix buildings is the 'chunkiness'. And the church has it in buckets. I actually think that it gives the building a solidity it deserves and makes it look authentic even though it's obviously nowhere near scale. 

Having never built a building by Airfix - or anyone else for that matter - I am looking at it with very 'fresh eyes' - hopefully it will turn out OK, but as long as I have fun I'll be happy.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Antb said:

I'm in. I can't sing, can't dance, but who cares, right? 

Interesting build this this one steve will be interesting to see how she (it?) turns out. Can you call a building she? 

I think you can call a building 'she' - I don't know how they can stop you to be honest - you are 'unstoppable'.

• Haha 3

I had a bit of progress before leaving for work this morning as my cross members have pulled the walls into shape - so that the roof sections stand a fighting chance of fitting.  The problem is they are more BENT than the walls were...

CHURCH_022.jpg

I have put some 'blocks' on the edge of the desk and clamped a roof section to see if this might pull it back to shape...

CHURCH_023.jpg

we will see how this has turned out when I get home tonight.

In the meantime here 'she' is - complete with a front 'porch'

CHURCH_024.jpg

CHURCH_025.jpg

You can also see the tower on the right of the bench.  I have knocked this up as I don't know if it goes on before / after or at 'the same time' as the main roof - so a few things might get sticky all at the same time.  Catch you later...

• Like 4

If I remember correctly, the church was always badly warped. I think the large flat pieces were too big for the technology and the moulds age doesn't help.

I don't remember any of the other buildings having the same issues. Any road up you are doing a cracking job.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

Great progress, it's looking very nice despite your warpage woes. Now you have those crossbeams in, what about a spot of nice timber vaulting to sort out the roof. :winkgrin:

I've been reading up on 'flying buttresses' - but I get the sneaky feeling it will need a 'slab' of 2mm Perspex on the inside to pull it straight - I had to do that with my pontoon.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

If I remember correctly, the church was always badly warped. I think the large flat pieces were too big for the technology and the moulds age doesn't help.

I don't remember any of the other buildings having the same issues. Any road up you are doing a cracking job.

I guess a really old church would be a bit wavy - maybe even with a sinking roof - but I just need enough straightness to get the parts glued together - we shall see.  I'm half tempted to nip home and just flatten it with some Perspex slabs.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, BIG X said:

I guess a really old church would be a bit wavy - maybe even with a sinking roof - but I just need enough straightness to get the parts glued together - we shall see.  I'm half tempted to nip home and just flatten it with some Perspex slabs.

there's a well, not really a house but a house "in essence" (basically the exact same as your church as it is now) WITH the RSJ's in there too so from a technical building point of view 100% accurate.....bet you didn't plan on that one ;)

You may need to get the congregation to contribute though as a church roof is ALWAYS leaking.....or some ne'r do well has had the lead away from the roof 🤣

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Lawzer said:

there's a well, not really a house but a house "in essence" (basically the exact same as your church as it is now) WITH the RSJ's in there too so from a technical building point of view 100% accurate.....bet you didn't plan on that one ;)

You may need to get the congregation to contribute though as a church roof is ALWAYS leaking.....or some ne'r do well has had the lead away from the roof 🤣

OMG - Vandals and Thieves - I better get on one of these comparisons sites straight away and see how much my new property is going to cost me to insure.  And what about squatters...

• Haha 3

So - anyway - it's lunchtime - well that's my excuse...

I've nipped home and release the clamps AND ping - straight back to the warped shape.  So Plan B is now in effect - take a look at this...

CHURCH_026.jpg

the curved piece is a roof section and the straight piece is 2mm acrylic - time for some glue - before I lose a full evening of progress...

CHURCH_027.jpg

...a tad excessive on the clamping maybe - but I think this will cure it - then I can get the roof on tonight.

• Like 6

Some mighty fine clamping action going on in this thread!!!

Nice going on straightening it all out though.

All the best

Ben

• Thanks 1