HO/OO Village Church +++ COMPLETED +++

For my second entry I wanted something a little out of my 'comfort zone'.  If my Pontoon goes OK though, this might be a nice addition to a possible riverside diorama.  So with no further ado - here is the original packaging for the Airfix Village Church...

CHURCH_010.jpg

Sadly I don't have an 'original' - mine is the repackaged DAPOL offering - which I found in my LMS - when they were having their closing down sale in January...

CHURCH_011.jpg

I got 25% off the whopping £7.99 asking price - so a bit of a bargain and something I hope will be a bit of fun too.  The bag packaging gives it the feel of 'old Airfix' and the notes on the back are interesting...

CHURCH_012.jpg

This may not turn out to be the oldest kit mould in the GB - but it does pre-date even the first Airfix catalogue.

For @Rabbit Leader here are the details http://www.vintage-airfix.com/airfix/series-trackside/village-church-p-385.html

Airfix Catalogue information: Series: 2 First Issued: 1958 Catalogue Ref - 1st Edition (1962): 4015

This is what you get in the bag - flash included...

CHURCH_013.jpg

...again with such a simple kit - the instructions are 'basic' - but I do love the way they tell you to ignore the part numbers - but I do that with every kit - don't you :mental:

CHURCH_014.jpg

I won't be starting this for a few weeks - I need to get the pontoon bridge done first - but I am looking forward to it - 'something different' is always fun.

Thanks for looking in and I hope some of you will cheer me on when I get going - there may well be a graveyard too - if things go well 👻

Steve

• Like 12

Nice addition to this GB Steve and thanks for adding the year of first manufacture - it's a great help and saves me time looking it up for myself!  

I've never seen either the original or the Dapol edition so I'll be keen to see what can be done with these old kits.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 3

I remember this one!!!!  One of my earliest kits after my very first which was the Harvard and then the Golden Hind in Series 1 Still have the wrappers for all of these and the church one though this latter one may be the next type that came along wrapper wise.

Very interesting to see pics of the real thing especially!!! Where?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Paul J said:

I remember this one!!!!  One of my earliest kits after my very first which was the Harvard and then the Golden Hind in Series 1 Still have the wrappers for all of these and the church one though this latter one may be the next type that came along wrapper wise.

Very interesting to see pics of the real thing especially!!! Where?

The 'real one' is on the Isle of Wight I believe - though mine will be Église Saint-Étienne de Zomeren

• Like 1

Ah, OK. So what about the others in the range. I have always wondered the likely existence of the the Village Inn, Country Cottage, Service Station, Detached House. Bungalow  and General store.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Ah, OK. So what about the others in the range. I have always wondered the likely existence of the the Village Inn, Country Cottage, Service Station, Detached House and General store.  

Hi Paul

I think Dapol got the lot,  and are available from them

https://www.dapol.co.uk/shop/model-accessories/self-assembly-oo-kits

note there are 5 pages, and I think all you mention are listed.

Sometimes they are cheaper off an ebay seller,. just stick Dapol Buildings in,

HTH

T

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have memories of this kit, and other Airfix buildings being made for my first OO gauge layout. My dad went the trouble of adding bulbs to the baseboard under each building, it looked great when the room lights were out. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

I have memories of this kit, and other Airfix buildings being made for my first OO gauge layout. My dad went the trouble of adding bulbs to the baseboard under each building, it looked great when the room lights were out. 

OH NO - I was considering motorizing my windmill - a huge technological leap for me...

...but lighting my church - I am guessing candles won't work... :mental:

It is a smashing idea - something to aspire to - but probably beyond me at present.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, BIG X said:

OH NO - I was considering motorizing my windmill - a huge technological leap for me...

...but lighting my church - I am guessing candles won't work... :mental:

Yeess! That's the sort of excuse reason we need to extend this GB! Plus pouring rain for the Tommies in the bren carriers to complain about...plus forked lightning over the scratchbuilt gravestones...plus....

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Yeess! That's the sort of excuse reason we need to extend this GB! Plus pouring rain for the Tommies in the bren carriers to complain about...plus forked lightning over the scratchbuilt gravestones...plus....

scratch built gravestones c'mon give me a chance...

• Haha 2

The only French word I’ve got is a rude one involving three frisky people!!

Whoops - better stop now... bad thoughts, bad thoughts.. 

Bonjour..  Dave 

• Haha 4

My mistake - Zomeren is in Holland - so it should be...

Kerk van Saint-Étienne van Zomeren

go on someone - I have set the joke going - we need the punchline now...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I’m finally getting started on this build.  Apart from a scratch built ‘shed’, I‘ve never attempted making a ‘building’ before – so this is new territory for me.  I’ve put cones out in the street and had 2 skips delivered to upset all the neighbours.  There are now several guys stood round in hard hats & high viz vests – drinking tea and exposing their backsides in ill-fitting jeans – so it is just like a real building site.  In keeping with the best traditions of the building industry nothing will now happen until Thursday at the earliest – as I am busy with other work.

I hope some of you will follow along - Steve :winkgrin:

• Like 4
  • Haha 6