1/72 Pontoon Bridge +++ COMPLETED +++

1 minute ago, Ratch said:

I think the dark ones look best ๐Ÿ‘

Iย think your right - I'll get the other side painted up before bed. ๐Ÿ‘

• Like 2

Those pontoons are going nowhere with those chains on - must have been issued to theย  RE by the Navy! This bridge really is a work of art - congratulations on an excellent build so far...and we've so much more to look forward to! Cheers. Mike.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

Those pontoons are going nowhere with those chains on - must have been issued to theย  RE by the Navy! This bridge really is a work of art - congratulations on an excellent build so far...and we've so much more to look forward to! Cheers. Mike.

Honestly speaking...ย  Do you think they look a bit on the 'big' side???

ย 

Here they are both sides now painted...

ย 

PONT720.jpg

ย 

...opinions would be welcome...

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Honestly speaking...ย  Do you think they look a bit on the 'big' side???

ย 

Here they are both sides now painted...

ย 

...opinions would be welcome...

They just look 'heavy duty' and you would need those if a few 30 ton Shermans were crossing, never mind Winnie and his staff! Although, looking back at the box art you picked out as inspiration, the chains were being used to anchor the pontoons to the river bed. Now don't be tempted to raidย Mrs X's jewellery box for finer chain...

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Haha 2

OK - if the chains aren't too big then I need to ponder my next move and prepare to 'throw this bailey' over a canal.ย  The news is spreading and Stanley Maxted has arrived from the BBC, to commentate on the impeding action...

ย 

stanleymaxtedarnhemsept29th.jpg

• Haha 3

Like all good bridges - mine is going to need a name...

ย 

PONT730.jpg

ย 

Winston has clearly been taken...

ย 

PONT760.jpg

ย 

...as has Churchill.ย ย  Think - think - think...

• Like 2

Maybe something like Piccadilly - like the station or more like the circus with me... :clown:

ย 

PONT780.jpg

ย 

...damn someone is already doing the stations...

ย 

How about a bridge named after a bridge...

ย 

PONT790.jpg

ย 

think - think - think...

ย 

ย 

ย 

• Like 3

Quote from website http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/bailey-bridges.1306/

ย 

During my army career we crossed many a Bailey Bridge, most of which had been given names by the sappers who built them.

The one most remembered carried the sign "Twazzabuggatoo" that was built over a gorge. As the southern approach was on a cliff side road requiring an abrupt right-hand turn, it was obvious that the Engineers had built from the northern side - one can but imagine the effort that it must have been to manhandle the equipment down and up the other side.

I know that the sappers of 8th Indian Division faced a similar problem when constructing a bridge over a river south of Ortona, Italy. This they named 'The Impossible Bridge."

Anyone know of more extraordinary difficult to build Bailey Bridges?

Gerry Chester,ย Jan 22, 2005

ย 

You may get some ideas from there...

• Like 3

I've been pondering all the way home in the car - yes I was looking at bridges at work - well it is a 'kind of work' isn't it...

ย 

Anyway - what about fruit...

ย 

PONT770.jpg

ย 

...and if not fruit then something 'cute'...

ย 

PONT750.jpg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Perhaps 'Abridge' (because you've shortened it and because it's 'a bridge').ย :giggle:

ย 

You got me there Gorby - I must be in need of some liquid refreshment to sharpen my wits.

ย 

Now - probably the most famous bridge, after that one over the River Kwai and that one that was 'too far' must surely be Pegasus Bridge.

ย 

HOWEVER - it wasn't called Pegasus Bridge at the time it was 'liberated' by Richard Todd in 'The Longest Day'.

ย 

IN FACT it wasn't named Pegasus Bridge until the locals changed it to that much later.ย  The name Pegasus was derived from the emblem of the 6th Airborne Division and the 2nd Battalion, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, of the 6th Air landing Brigade in particular.

ย 

So - with this in mind and not wanting mere FACTS or the TRUTH to get in my way - may I present what will be a tribute to those brave boys in the 10th Bridging Troop of the 11th armoured division - THE BLACK BULL...

ย 

PONT800.jpg

ย 

...as Jim Bowen would say - 'You can't beat a bit of bully'.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

The Bubbles bridge may well have been named for Major General Evelyn 'Bubbles' Barker, who commanded the 49th Division, the Polar Bears, It looks like their divisional sign on the truck.

Well spotted that man - if I were giving out prizes - then you justย won one.ย  Nowย your name and the 49th Division could give you...

ย 

2736fbf8b28de0eb3cb733939985c9c0.jpg

ย 

...and at that price - I'd be buying you a bag as a reward...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

As you will see from the pictures above I'm also going to need some big yellow shiny 40ton bridging discs.ย  Now the problem is a real Bailey has a square capped end and mine has sloped ended to the side spans.ย  With this in mind I have been looking for solutions.

ย 

I'm going to mount my discs on big red and white striped poles - Iย  took the inspiration from a mix of these 2 shots...

ย 

PONT811.jpg

ย 

PONT810.jpg

ย 

I know the second picture is showing a continental speed limit - but I'll ignore that small fact.ย  Life is to short not to have red and white poles. :lol:

• Like 2

So I've cut some discs...

ย 

PONT820.jpg

ย 

and got them primed and then glossy custard yellow...

ย 

PONT830.jpg

ย 

England are 1-0 up against Costa Rica and it's not exactly riveting stuff - so I'm off to do the poles.

ย 

Back soon...

• Like 2

I reckon the Bridging Discs would be 'tin plate' - like today - only back then . . .ย  You get what I mean - so a bit of 'steel' on the backs. . .

ย 

PONT870.jpg

ย 

When the sticks are completely dry I'll glue the discs on and then a quick dust of Humbrol Gloss Varnish...

ย 

PONT860.jpg

ย 

I have cut out a load of 4's and 0's from an xtradecals set - Iย would like to get these finished tonight - but I'm not going to rush them - it all depends on how fast the gloss dries...

• Like 6

Whilst the gloss finishes drying on my stripey lollipops I printed the bridge sign decals...

ย 

PONT890.jpg

ย 

I only need one for each end - but I can't really print anything less than an A6 - so I've printed 'extras' in case of any 'incidents'.

ย 

I think these signs would have beenย white washedย wooden panels and I've gone for about 5ft square.ย  I've got some slatted evergreen...

ย 

PONT910.jpg

ย 

PONT900.jpgย ย 

ย 

The decals will get several spray coats of gloss varnish from a tin - otherwise Iย  find they are like chewing gum - the thick gloss 'stiffens' them up...

ย 

PONT920.jpg

ย 

more gloss on these in the morning.

• Like 6