1/72 Pontoon Bridge +++ COMPLETED +++

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

I have just been messing around with more shots and I'm going to post in the gallery this afternoon.  I found this further back in the thread though - I think I've come pretty close to repeating what I set out to do...

29 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I honestly think it deserves a few more Gallery photos - five is just not enough. 

I whole heartedly agree - we need photos of the whole 'set' from every possible angle - just keep them coming BigX! Lawzer and I will dream up some 'new rules' to cover it - the best I can think of at the moment is............add another small simple kit build to pull in the whole set as a backdrop. What about a despatch rider on an unusual bike he has 'requisitioned' from 'somewhere in France'? - we need a motor cycle in this GB! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, BIG X said:

Two chaps have just reared their ugly heads - and I mean ugly...

ponta146.jpg

Now if you got the Pontoon Bridge as a kid - you probably didn't get just the kit - but the whole 'PONTOON ASSAULT SET' - which included various vehicles and troops - including these bad boys...

ponta148.jpg

Now - whilst I have no intention of painting twenty odd really badly moulded commandos - I did 'kind of promise' @Lawzer that I 'might' include these guys...

ponta145.jpg

They and their kayak are in really bad shape and as we all know - you can't sand the flash off these soft polythene figures - but...

ponta144.jpg 

...they do seem to be making themselves at home on the canal - checking for boobytraps apparently :mental:

You have cracked it, BigX! Why not enter these Commandos as a build thread - it is an Airfix 'kit' from pre-1980' and there are build and paint elements - you'll have to use your sharp commando knife to trim away the flash rather than sand. Pose them with your entire 'set' and we get more pictures in the Gallery. It also covers the 'Action Figures' genre in the GB. Everyone wins, even Mrs X (you are kept out of the way for a few more hours).

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Maybe a hot blade could remove some of the moulding?  Alas, neither of those fellows will ever be David Niven...

No - but one of them could be Arthur Mullard...

hqdefault.jpg

• Haha 3

That really is superb Steve. It has been a real pleasure watching you build the main components and the idea of bringing them all together in a diorama is just sensational.  A fantastic job all round and worthy of all the plaudits it is bound to receive, well done bud.  :worthy:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bzn20 said:

Couldn't spell it .

Brilliant end scenes … Like an episode of The World at War …. Lawrence Olivier's voice over in my head ( I'm not well ) …… Next week on Abandoned Engineering …….

Plastic Bridges. The  Pros and Cons .

Well done Mr X !

Now I thought I was as mad as a hatter - but you have me beat - hands down ;)

6 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I have to agree with that.  It is also the best part of 'Market Garden' I have ever seen.  Bravo!

To be accurate John the 11th Armoured never took part in 'Market Garden' themselves - the moved up the left flank - but hey - brilliant film - cheers mate.

6 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I''m so impressed by this whole build sequence and speed in which you have build all three detailled projects is a true testament to your modelling prowess. 

I honestly think it deserves a few more Gallery photos - five is just not enough. 

Cheers... Dave 

Hey Dave I intentionally tried to keep the pictures in the gallery 'focused' on the bridge - as the windmill and church have their own threads - but it was very tricky  and to be honest I  don't think I've done it justice - its just SO MAHOOSIVE :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

I whole heartedly agree - we need photos of the whole 'set' from every possible angle - just keep them coming BigX! Lawzer and I will dream up some 'new rules' to cover it - the best I can think of at the moment is............add another small simple kit build to pull in the whole set as a backdrop. What about a despatch rider on an unusual bike he has 'requisitioned' from 'somewhere in France'? - we need a motor cycle in this GB! 

I still have my K2Y ambulances and K6 trucks - from the RAF Emergency sets ;)

5 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

You have cracked it, BigX! Why not enter these Commandos as a build thread - it is an Airfix 'kit' from pre-1980' and there are build and paint elements - you'll have to use your sharp commando knife to trim away the flash rather than sand. Pose them with your entire 'set' and we get more pictures in the Gallery. It also covers the 'Action Figures' genre in the GB. Everyone wins, even Mrs X (you are kept out of the way for a few more hours).

Now that would just be a 'bit too cheeky' - though with a parts total of 4 pieces I could probably contain it to about 5 or 6 pages :mental: 

4 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Maybe a hot blade could remove some of the moulding?  Alas, neither of those fellows will ever be David Niven...

I like the hot blade idea and I might try it on some of the other commando figures - these guys are ugly enough - without getting melted :doh:

2 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

That really is superb Steve. It has been a real pleasure watching you build the main components and the idea of bringing them all together in a diorama is just sensational.  A fantastic job all round and worthy of all the plaudits it is bound to receive, well done bud.  :worthy:

Thanks John - it has been a LOT of fun - I really must blame @Lawzer though - for it was he who set me off on this entire crazy adventure - with his mad ideas. 

34 minutes ago, Kallisti said:

Thumbs up on this build, really enjoyed watching it develop!

Thanks for your support along the way - especially in my 'darkest hour' - when I thought the water had me beaten - I will endeavour to try some of your techniques down the line.

• Like 4

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 17:11, AdrianMF said:

The whole thing looks even better than the sum of its parts! And the canal water effect looks stunning.

Nice one.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian I have been loving your GB entries too - stunning work.

9 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Brilliant, love the way you've pulled all the separate builds together as one. Top work.

Hey Mark - it was a bit of a mad idea - but that because I'm mad :mental:Thanks - Steve

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 13:22, Lawzer said:

Now I really AM looking forward to seeing these ducks....... ;)

Sorry mate - no ducks in the end - that would just looked silly :whistle:

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 16:57, badger said:

That looks absolutely fantastic with (almost) all the components in place!!!

Really well done - superb work!

All the best

Ben

Cheers Ben - your support is always appreciated - I hope I'm improving and if I am a lot of it is down to you - All the best - Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 17:17, Foxbat said:

Why not keep the Airfix theme and use this as a guide - they're supposed to be late war British infantry in NW Europe, although I'm dubious about the corporal's gas mask bag as that is more 1940 than 1944.

Airfix British Infantry

Andy

Speaking figuratively.

Hey Andy - I hope you like the troops - I tried to stay close to the Airfix theme.

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 17:36, Richard E said:

Time well and productively spent but you did miss last Sunday's British GT race at Brands Hatch which was being shown on Channel 4 at 7:30  :)

Richard - I think you'll understand I NEEDED to get this finished before the season gets going again - the F1 season that is - he he...

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 17:46, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That looks superb fella, the subtle rippling is spot on for the still water of a canal.....Knew you'd find a way!  :clap2:

So, next up.....'Pond Scum', I take it?  :P

PS - Just discovered a bunch more pages, you've been flying since breaking your block.....My recommendation for the weathering washes, use all of 'em, selectively and in several layers. 

Hey Sgt - It's finished - I hope you like it sir.

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 18:53, Gorby said:

I know it's a different service, but I still use the RAF mug my granddad used in WWII almost every day.

bf2aa43e-fdb6-4afe-8d3e-07febf00c768.JPG

Notice the chip in the rim.

It survived Hitler, but it didn't stand a chance with Mrs Gorby.

Gorby - thanks for all your wit and wisdom as always.

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 02:16, Rabbit Leader said:

Holy cow!!! (Well I actually said something else not quite printable!). I haven’t viewed this post for a while, however the progress and amazing reality achieved here is nothing short of unbelievable. To tie in your two other GB elements is an extreme work of art and complements your excellent foresight - you’re not a Town Planner in real life are you?? 

I’d best pay more attention and check in more often. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Cheers Dave and thanks for all your hard work on keeping everyone updated on the GB - YOU ARE A STAR.

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 12:03, zebra said:

Magnificent. Very glad you persisted with this and worked it all out, it's fantastic.

And I agree with whoever posted further up that it needs an old bicycle frame or a shopping trolley!

Sorry Zebra - I couldn't find a 1/72 supermarket trolley - but I might try scratchbuilding one in the future with 1amp fuse wire - TOTAL MADNESS AWAITS

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 21:29, Pete in Lincs said:

It looks like a Hollywood special effect.

Pete - I'm still going to use this in my CV

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 07:54, Antb said:

Blimey Steve. What an unbelievably great solution and top work as always. 

This is looking absolutely splendid. Great work!!! 

Well it's finished Ant - sorry I didn't have room for the circus in the end - maybe next time - thanks for the support along the way.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, BIG X said:

Cheers Ben - your support is always appreciated - I hope I'm improving and if I am a lot of it is down to you - All the best - Steve

Aww - you're too kind! You are most definitely improving at a rapid pace, each build just keeps getting better with some genuinely innovative solutions to problems.

Looking forward to seeing how the emergency set turn out.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, badger said:

Aww - you're too kind! You are most definitely improving at a rapid pace, each build just keeps getting better with some genuinely innovative solutions to problems.

Looking forward to seeing how the emergency set turn out.

All the best

Ben

I'm doing my 'research' at the moment.  I have pretty much neglected this build - so please pop by the thread as I will be asking lots of trivial questions I'm sure.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BIG X said:

Gorby - thanks for all your wit and witlessness as always

I've corrected that for you, don't you just hate it when auto-correct does that.

The final result of your labours is soooo good I can't think of a single smart-bottom witticism.

I feel I've let you down, I've let the visitors to this thread down and I've let myself down. :sad:

I'll just go and flog myself. :whip:

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Gorby said:

I feel I've let you down, I've let the visitors to this thread down and I've let myself down. :sad:

That reminds me of a very old joke...

"There are three balloons. Mummy, Daddy and Baby balloon. Over the early years Baby balloon has slept in the same bed as Mummy and Daddy balloon. Daddy balloon takes Baby balloon aside one day and tells him that he's made him a new bed and that he is to sleep there from now on.

During the night Baby balloon is scared sleeping on his own and so sneaks back into bed with Mummy and Daddy balloon. Baby balloon tries to squeeze in between the two of them but can't get enough room. He reaches over and let's a little air out of Mummy balloon, but to no avail he still doesn't have room. He then reaches over to Daddy balloon and lets a little air out of him. Still he can't quite fit in. Finally he lets a lot of air out off himself. He fits in nicely and falls asleep.

In the morning when Mummy and Daddy awaken they find Baby balloon in bed with them. Daddy balloon looks sad and shakes his head at Baby balloon and says.

"Son I told you to sleep in your own bed didn't I ?"
" Yes Daddy I'm sorry"
" Well son , you have let me down, you have let your mother down but most of all you have let yourself down" :lol:

• Haha 7

22 hours ago, BIG X said:

Hey Andy - I hope you like the troops - I tried to stay close to the Airfix theme.

They are things of beauty and joys forever. The whole thing is brilliant - a bit tame, but I don't have the necessary superlatives for either the work involved or the finished article.

Andy

Waxing lyrical.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well what a fantastic and epic build Steve,I Love it,one of those dioramas you keep seeing in a different way everytime you view it.Should be in a museum

or exibition!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Well what a fantastic and epic build Steve,I Love it,one of those dioramas you keep seeing in a different way everytime you view it.Should be in a museum

or exibition!

I'm getting a bit nervous about these comments concerning museums and such Steve...  I was just planning on taking everything off the base board and putting it in a large bin bag at the back of the garage - once I've finished playing WAR that is...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

WOW - I don't think there is more to be said than that!!!

(along with the other builds) I'd seen the progress on this (well, read about it anyway) so I was keen to see it when I got home.

That really is outstanding! In fact I may go back to the start and read this all again with a nice glass of Pinotage (one can have too much Guiness you know ;) ) this evening.

👏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have just been searching for some pix on the tinterwebs and found this - spooky...

Valentine_tanks_of_the_11th_Armoured_Div

That's my church - I  swear it is...

ponta139.jpg

• Like 11