1/72 Pontoon Bridge +++ COMPLETED +++

Happy Sunday Folks - I hope you have had a fun week.  I have been 'slaving' quietly away on these guys...

ponta129.jpg

I got their boots done - and then the hands and faces.  But everything slowed down whilst I pondered all the 'luggage' they were toting.

As suggested - I studied some box art...

ponta131.jpg

ponta132.jpg

and trawled the internet to get some pictures of rifles...

ponta_133.jpg

It all slowed me down a bit - but eventually this morning I'm here...

ponta134.jpg

ponta135.jpg

Varnishing and washes - before more varnish - nearly there...

• Like 13

There was something else that might have slowed me down a bit too...

LET LOOSE THE DOGS OF WAR...

ponta139.jpg

ponta137.jpg

ponta138.jpg

ponta136.jpg

...yes you guessed it - my 'inner child' got the better of me and before it's finished I was already 'playing war' :blush: 

• Like 8
  • Haha 5

I did finally 'stop messing' with my ramps - I think they have blended in OK...

ponta140.jpg

...the late summer sun glinting off the canal - I wish - it's pouring down - this is the light bulb in the office reflecting off the window - oh well summer is over.

ponta141.jpg

• Like 11

That looks absolutely fantastic with (almost) all the components in place!!!

Really well done - superb work!

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Richard E said:

I think the only comment I can make about the finished model is that it would probably look at home in a museum,

34 minutes ago, badger said:

That looks absolutely fantastic with (almost) all the components in place!!!

Really well done - superb work!

All the best

Ben

20 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

The whole thing looks even better than the sum of its parts! And the canal water effect looks stunning.

Nice one.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks guys - we are getting there and I'd really like to tie it all up tonight if possible.  My Austin K6's and K2Y's are sat waiting by the bench.

I need to anchor my pontoons to the banks - which is in progress as we speak.

• Like 1

The bridge is now firmly anchored to the banks...

ponta142.jpg

ponta147.jpg

Now that is what you call anchors - stand it on end and it stays put...

ponta143.jpg

...that's 4 tiny pins and a necklace holding it in place - engineering the BIG X WAY :lol:

I better put it somewhere flat before I end up having an :oops:moment :doh:

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Two chaps have just reared their ugly heads - and I mean ugly...

ponta146.jpg

Now if you got the Pontoon Bridge as a kid - you probably didn't get just the kit - but the whole 'PONTOON ASSAULT SET' - which included various vehicles and troops - including these bad boys...

ponta148.jpg

Now - whilst I have no intention of painting twenty odd really badly moulded commandos - I did 'kind of promise' @Lawzer that I 'might' include these guys...

ponta145.jpg

They and their kayak are in really bad shape and as we all know - you can't sand the flash off these soft polythene figures - but...

ponta144.jpg 

...they do seem to be making themselves at home on the canal - checking for boobytraps apparently :mental:

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, BIG X said:

...yes you guessed it - my 'inner child' got the better of me and before it's finished I was already 'playing war' :blush: 

:lol: I bet you were making machine gun noises and ducking down too. :mg: Any strange looks from Mrs X?

• Haha 4

58 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

:lol: I bet you were making machine gun noises and ducking down too. :mg: Any strange looks from Mrs X?

Mrs X was busy 'tasting' some Pinot I had acquired for her :lol:

• Haha 2

Well done , looks great. I should have got her Mother some Pinot back in 73 if I'd known what it was then . A Watneys Party Seven , Babycham or Blue Nun instead .

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, bzn20 said:

Well done , looks great. I should have got her Mother some Pinot back in 73 if I'd known what it was then . A Watneys Party Seven , Babycham or Blue Nun instead .

Don't forget Cherry B or Pomagne :D

Each time I visit this thread, I cannot stop shaking my head in amazement. This is a great piece of work that you can just admire and study for hours.

What a great conversation piece to have around the house with a few like minded mates, which makes me think that possibly the only thing missing is a set of cup holders so that we can all visit and enjoy a good ol' chat about all things 'Classic' Airfix. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Morning folks,  I was hoping to have this finished last night - but I'm struggling to get it photographed - it's so flippin' long and thin...

ponta151.jpg

ponta152.jpg

ponta153.jpg

ponta154.jpg

ponta155.jpg

I'm also undecided about how much of the 'set dressing' to use - I don't want to lose the bridge in all the confusion of everything else.

• Like 8

Looking fantastic, Steve. Well done on so many fronts. Why not just do enough set dressing for the Pontoon Bridge for pics in the Gallery (where have the signs gone?) then give us 'the lot' in a whole diorama for the last shot! 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

Looking fantastic, Steve. Well done on so many fronts. Why not just do enough set dressing for the Pontoon Bridge for pics in the Gallery (where have the signs gone?) then give us 'the lot' in a whole diorama for the last shot! 

I have just been messing around with more shots and I'm going to post in the gallery this afternoon.  I found this further back in the thread though - I think I've come pretty close to repeating what I set out to do...

ponta156.jpg

ponta157.jpg

...right off to the gallery section then...

• Like 10

• BIG X changed the title to 1/72 Pontoon Bridge +++ COMPLETED +++

Right folks - it's in The Gallery - cue that music from Vision On...

Gallery-Tony-Hart-dies-Vi-011.jpg

...or Take Hart - if your a little younger...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

No sooner do I declare that Taurus Bridge is 'OPEN FOR BUSINESS' than Monty turns up with Winston, who starts dropping cigar ash all over it...

PONT335.jpg

...still - a bit of publicity isn't a bad thing I suppose - Stanley Maxted is glad he hung around - this could make the news...

stanleymaxtedarnhemsept29th.jpg

TTFN Folks.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, BIG X said:

Pomagne

Couldn't spell it .

Brilliant end scenes … Like an episode of The World at War …. Lawrence Olivier's voice over in my head ( I'm not well ) …… Next week on Abandoned Engineering …….

Plastic Bridges. The  Pros and Cons .

Well done Mr X !

• Haha 1

I''m so impressed by this whole build sequence and speed in which you have build all three detailled projects is a true testament to your modelling prowess. 

I honestly think it deserves a few more Gallery photos - five is just not enough. 

Cheers... Dave 

• Thanks 1