1/72 Pontoon Bridge +++ COMPLETED +++

Why not keep the Airfix theme and use this as a guide - they're supposed to be late war British infantry in NW Europe, although I'm dubious about the corporal's gas mask bag as that is more 1940 than 1944.

Airfix British Infantry

Andy

Speaking figuratively.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

Why not keep the Airfix theme and use this as a guide - they're supposed to be late war British infantry in NW Europe, although I'm dubious about the corporal's gas mask bag as that is more 1940 than 1944.

Airfix British Infantry

Andy

Speaking figuratively.

Thanks Andy - it's hard to tell from that image isn't it - they look all the colours mentioned - I have some uniform books in .pdf form that someone sent me - I'll have to have a browse there too.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BIG X said:

I was up early this morning - expecting the re-run of MOTD at 7.30am on BBC1 - but the beggars have changed things and it isn't on until 9am - so I got the airbrush out and sprayed some dark earth on the ramps - now the PPP has properly dried.

Time well and productively spent but you did miss last Sunday's British GT race at Brands Hatch which was being shown on Channel 4 at 7:30  :)

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Thanks Andy - it's hard to tell from that image isn't it - they look all the colours mentioned - I have some uniform books in .pdf form that someone sent me - I'll have to have a browse there too.

It is a bit hard to tell. There's normally a paint list which would have helped, but they don't appear to include one for the figures :( 

Andy

• Like 2

Aye up Steve

Your most welcome squire.

As regards the packs and webbing... you'd be ok going with a 'beigy' colour followed by a slightly darker wash i should think. I've also seen them with a bit of a green hue which i think was due to which colour 'blanco' was used to clean them up. The bed rolls would have been a similar colour but i usually paint them a different shade for a bit of contrast 😉

Regards.

Steve

• Like 3

That looks superb fella, the subtle rippling is spot on for the still water of a canal.....Knew you'd find a way!  :clap2:

So, next up.....'Pond Scum', I take it?  :P

PS - Just discovered a bunch more pages, you've been flying since breaking your block.....My recommendation for the weathering washes, use all of 'em, selectively and in several layers. 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

So, next up.....'Pond Scum'  :P

I've been called 'pond scum' before and it's like 'canal water off a ducks back' to me - :lol:

oh - ducks - now I wonder can you get 1/72 ducks - no not DUKS - ducks....

• Haha 6

7 minutes ago, BIG X said:

I've been called 'pond scum' before and it's like 'canal water off a ducks back' to me - :lol:

oh - ducks - now I wonder can you get 1/72 ducks - no not DUKS - ducks....

http://www.langleymodels.co.uk/shop/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww.langleymodels.co.uk%2facatalog%2fOnline_Catalogue_OO_scale_Accessories___F1_on_Figures_etc___9.html&WD=duck&PN=Online_Catalogue_OO_Scale_Accessories_F77_to_F171f_14.html%23aF123#aF123

:whistle:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I did find this - quite dramatic...

ponta130.jpg

The good old KSLI - smacking it out with a bren - more importantly a beigy back pack.

• Like 5

Just found this from a KSLI re-enactment team in Holland I think...

DSC_0387.jpg

...he seems to have a green back pack and roll - along with a black cup - I have seen a couple of cups on my figures - but my main mentor or Jedi Master when it comes to things like this is @badger who always says 'go with REAL photo evidence' - however most of that is going to be in black and white - if your there Ben an opinion would be appreciated :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know it's a different service, but I still use the RAF mug my granddad used in WWII almost every day.

bf2aa43e-fdb6-4afe-8d3e-07febf00c768.JPG

Notice the chip in the rim.

It survived Hitler, but it didn't stand a chance with Mrs Gorby.

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

• BIG X changed the title to 1/72 Pontoon Bridge - home leg - hopefuly

Another quick update - as I got wrapped up with Heather's Whirlwind primer problems - this is how they dried - without washes...

ponta127.jpg

ponta128.jpg

That's not bad with dark earth paint / coarse black grit scatter / fine earth dust scatter / spots of dark earth paint / spots of black paint....

I don't think I need to blend with washes - though I probably will - I'm amazed I  kind of 'pulled it off' - but if you think it can be improved - please feel free to taunt me;)

• Like 8

4 hours ago, BIG X said:

Just found this from a KSLI re-enactment team in Holland I think...

DSC_0387.jpg

...he seems to have a green back pack and roll - along with a black cup - I have seen a couple of cups on my figures - but my main mentor or Jedi Master when it comes to things like this is @badger who always says 'go with REAL photo evidence' - however most of that is going to be in black and white - if your there Ben an opinion would be appreciated :D

Hi Steve

Sorry - been stripping wallpaper off all day ready to do some decorating and only just checked in.

I tend to use varying shades of a sandy green as the original item was a beigey tan which was then coloured with the application of blanco which came in several shades.

The reenactor chap's pack is about as dark as I would go in 1/72.

Hope that helps

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

9 hours ago, badger said:

Hi Steve

Sorry - been stripping wallpaper off all day ready to do some decorating and only just checked in.

I tend to use varying shades of a sandy green as the original item was a beigey tan which was then coloured with the application of blanco which came in several shades.

The reenactor chap's pack is about as dark as I would go in 1/72.

Hope that helps

All the best

Ben

Cheers Ben - Happy Decorating - with your eye for detail I am sure it will be a lovely finish.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BIG X said:

Cheers Ben - Happy Decorating - with your eye for detail I am sure it will be a lovely finish.

Cheers Steve

Started as a "lets just paint this", then I went "Ooh - this papers loose". Now its a full strip back to plasterboard!!

• Haha 3

now I wonder can you get 1/72 ducks

You need to take a trip to the 'dark side' 😉 again. If you can live with the difference in scale, the world of railway modelling will come to your rescue.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, badger said:

Hey Ben - what on earth is this blanco stuff - if you get a chance a bit of a history lesson would be appreciated - but carry on stripping too...

• Like 2

Just caught up, lovely solution to the canal water, looks superb!

Go for the ducks - I was going to put some from the Tamiya 1:35 scale set in my Bailey bridge dio but wasn't sure how they'd handle the hot resin that I used for the water !!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, BIG X said:

Hey Ben - what on earth is this blanco stuff - if you get a chance a bit of a history lesson would be appreciated - but carry on stripping too...

Hi Steve

Sorry this is once again a bit late. Have been putting the kitchen back together after having had it refitted and trying to get the hall ready for painting tomorrow.

This is an excellent section on the use of blanco taken from Dick Taylor's "The Men inside the Metal - The British AFV Crewman in WW2 Vol 1".

Photo is for discussion purposes only 

2018-08-14_09-14-37

Hope this helps

All the best

Ben

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, badger said:

Hi Steve

Sorry this is once again a bit late. Have been putting the kitchen back together after having had it refitted and trying to get the hall ready for painting tomorrow.

This is an excellent section on the use of blanco taken from Dick Taylor's "The Men inside the Metal - The British AFV Crewman in WW2 Vol 1".

Photo is for discussion purposes only 

2018-08-14_09-14-37

Hope this helps

All the best

Ben

Cheers Ben -  excellent late night reading - all that DIY sounds like a nightmare - I hope it looks BRILLIANT in the end - thanks for this - I'll have a scan and hopefully learn something useful.

TOPMAN - Steve 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kallisti said:

Just caught up, lovely solution to the canal water, looks superb!

Go for the ducks - I was going to put some from the Tamiya 1:35 scale set in my Bailey bridge dio but wasn't sure how they'd handle the hot resin that I used for the water !!!

Thanks mate - that's a real compliment - I'm just 'playing at it' - when compared to the realism you get with your water - I will improve though - and maybe one day....

• Like 3

Holy cow!!! (Well I actually said something else not quite printable!). I haven’t viewed this post for a while, however the progress and amazing reality achieved here is nothing short of unbelievable. To tie in your two other GB elements is an extreme work of art and complements your excellent foresight - you’re not a Town Planner in real life are you?? 

I’d best pay more attention and check in more often. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3