1/72 Pontoon Bridge +++ COMPLETED +++

When I got home I could finally install the water...

ponta096.jpg

and finally get the frame around the base...

ponta097.jpg

and get the bridge across these troubled waters...

ponta098.jpg

ponta099.jpg

ponta100.jpg

After so much stress I'm pleased to have gotten over this hurdle - as this is supposed to be 'fun' after all.

• Like 15

That's an interesting process Steve.

So all I have to do is get a job in a large picture framing company – simples.

Do you do commissions? :giggle:

I hope Ceb isn't following this thread, it could get very expensive for him.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Gorby said:

That's an interesting process Steve.

So all I have to do is get a job in a large picture framing company – simples.

Do you do commissions? :giggle:

I hope Ceb isn't following this thread, it could get very expensive for him.

I know it isn't what anyone was expecting - but you know when you get 'too close' to a problem and can't see a solution - that was the case here.  You don't need to get a job with a LARGE picture framing company - lots of little picture framers have them too :lol:

I don't work for a framer though - we just sell all the raw materials to framers / photographers / artists etc...

You know - sticks of wood / coloured cardboard / glass / string / sticky backed plastic / brown tape / hooks / and so on :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, BIG X said:

You don't need to get a job

Thank god for that.:phew:  I quite like this retirement thing.

When I mention to people that I've retired, they usually say “but you're too young to retire”. I like to leave it at that, to make then think that it's because I'm so famously rich.

(Medical retirement doesn't sound so good.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Absolutely brilliant process, BigX  (Steve) and congratulations on working it out. You now have a sideline in producing 'water' for LMS's - I expect to be able to buy some next month!

• Haha 2

Feeling much better I had a rummage through my 'props' box and found these...

ponta080.jpg

ponta079.jpg

ponta078.jpg

ponta077.jpg

I thought these darker 'clumps' might look like canal side rushes...

ponta101.jpg

...so I cut some in half - to get a flat edge and stuck a few along the bank wall - 'less is more' though....

ponta104.jpg

ponta103.jpg

ponta102.jpg

They help to add to the reflections I think...

• Like 13

1 minute ago, Ventora3300 said:

Absolutely brilliant process, BigX  (Steve) and congratulations on working it out. You now have a sideline in producing 'water' for LMS's - I expect to be able to buy some next month!

OOH - Don't tempt me - with a thicker card I could get deeper ripples.  To be honest I'd prefer to learn how to do it 'properly' - like the pictures that Heather posted from that Gordon fella - now that looks 'amazing' - mine is just a 'bodge' with 'the tools available'.

• Like 2

Magnificent. Very glad you persisted with this and worked it all out, it's fantastic.

And I agree with whoever posted further up that it needs an old bicycle frame or a shopping trolley!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• BIG X changed the title to 1/72 Pontoon Bridge - A bit of set dressing...

I've been having a play with some of the 'props' I seem to have built ages ago...

ponta105.jpg

I knew my bridge signs were a little tall - but I didn't want to cut them down until I had seen them insitu - I've shopped them now though...

ponta106.jpg

I also lopped the Bridge weight signs - using a figure for comparison...

ponta107.jpg

ponta108.jpg

There is another glaring problem rearing it's ugly head...

ponta109.jpg

I  wanted the lips of the ramps to sink into the balsa base - but I  think I used too much scenic cement - but the balsa is now as solid as a rock - which I found out whilst 'drilling' the holes for the posts.  Now a quick look at some reference photos show the use of 'packed dirt' in front of ramps...

ponta110.jpg

ponta111.jpg

However - ASDA beckons - so I will ponder this problem as I plod round the aisles and hopefully come up with a solution.  I wish I had considered how hard the balsa might get with all that glue.  I think it might be a case for the perfect plastic putty and some VERY CAREFUL painting.

Catch yer later folks - Steve

• Like 9

What an excellent 'save' Big X! It is amazing how taking a break can produce such great results. I really love the water effect, from the pictures Heather showed and yours, I don't think there is really too much difference!

Well done!

All the best,

Ray

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ASDA is done for another week - the shelves on the wine aisle have been stripped clean and the poor woman on the check out has had to put up with our bickering - whilst we pack our bags - in a very particular order :mental:

Upon my return to Chez X I set about making the first stage of some 'dirt ramps'...

ponta112.jpg

ponta113.jpg

It was tricky going and I didn't want to put too much on - in case it didn't set hard or took too long to dry.  I also got a bit too much of it on the edges of the bridge - but luckily it seems to have all cleaned off now.

Here is where we are up to...

ponta114.jpg

ponta115.jpg

ponta116.jpg

I'm letting it dry until after tea and then I will add some more and then figure out how to paint it - so it blends in.

It's all go again... :) 

• Like 14

OK - the swordfish salad and a couple of glasses of vino have been consumed - time for round 2 of the PPP.  Now being an idiot - I have only just realised I still have an unused bridge section - to act as a 'back stop' to the filler :doh:

ponta117.jpg

ponta118.jpg

ponta119.jpg

....a bit more drying now and hopefully some paint and washes later - hic - just enjoying another glass of the old Pinot... ;)

• Like 9

Who's a smarty pants then?

It looks brilliant. I love that picture with the light shining down the middle.

It looks like a Hollywood special effect.

Now then,

Dear Snanta, I needs an 'ot glass vacuum pump picture wossname please. 

Anna bridge anna train set. Anna tank. Fanx. Pete aged 6 3/4ths

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, BIG X said:

the poor woman on the check out has had to put up with our bickering - whilst we pack our bags - in a very particular order

British supermarkets are generally much better than Aussie ones but they always pack your bags for you here so this is never a problem for us. I've got used to it, as I found on the recent UK trip - every time I was at a supermarket checkout there was this odd little pause whilst I remembered I was expected to pack my own bags!

Those dirt ramps will look great. They look weird sitting on their own without a bridge though!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Blimey Steve. What an unbelievably great solution and top work as always. 

This is looking absolutely splendid. Great work!!! 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Now if that were me i'd sit with the remainder of the pinot admiring the handy work! 😁

You are a BAD MAN - I ended up taking your advice and no more progress was made last night :doh:

11 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

It looks brilliant. I love that picture with the light shining down the middle.

It looks like a Hollywood special effect.

A Hollywood special effect - WOW - I'm adding that to my CV - Thanks Pete

38 minutes ago, Antb said:

Blimey Steve. What an unbelievably great solution and top work as always. 

Thanks Ant - a little unorthodox, but in this instance it was 'desperation being the mother of invention'.  I hope you like the canal 'forna' - I was inspired by your Malta base to add some extra vegetation - remembering 'less is more' ;)

• Like 4

I was up early this morning - expecting the re-run of MOTD at 7.30am on BBC1 - but the beggars have changed things and it isn't on until 9am - so I got the airbrush out and sprayed some dark earth on the ramps - now the PPP has properly dried.

ponta120.jpg

ponta121.jpg

ponta122.jpg

ponta123.jpg

I think it's safe to say that I will need to add some 'scenic cement' and scatter on a few 'sprinkles' of grit to mimic the rest of the base and then another dark earth coat - followed by one or more of these - for 'blending'...

ponta124.jpg

I am undecided which colour or colours to try though - I will probably start with the dark dirt - then if it is too light I'll add a bit of black - but if it is too dark I'll add some sand perhaps.  If it looks OK I'll maybe just add some grime instead - for variation.

DECISIONS DECISIONS.... 

• Like 7

Love the flora and forna mate. Adds a little something extra and you've added just enough. 

In respect of the build up of dirt to the ramps id go lighter. The dirt there will be turned over and the top dry and powdery perhaps. 

Someone mentioned masterclass have to agree. Wonderful modelling. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After MOTD there was a bit more progress - I added some black grit into the lowest dips...

ponta125.jpg

and then some of that very tiny - but unusually heavy - brown earthy dust...

ponta126.jpg

it's looking more 'ramplike' but it needs to dry and harden before I dare adding any shading with a wash.  As warm as it is the central heating is on 'full belt' in the office - but I must be patient.

In the meantime I'm stripped to the waist - don't worry - no pictures :lol:

I bet you had forgot about these guys... :partytime:

ponta043.jpg

I am going to start a bit of painting on them - starting with their black boots.  I have until 4pm to make a bit of progress - then it's MAN CITY at ARSENAL - C'mon City

• Like 11

HELP - A quick question if I may ask about 'guns' - one guy has a Sten - another a Bren - but all the others have 'rifles' - can anyone tell me what rifles the British 11th armoured were likely to be using in late 1944 - so I can go and find some pictures as a guide for painting the right bits in the right colours.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:05 PM, BIG X said:

glaring problem

I'd forgotten all about that bit..Not surprising 45  years ago ! I was closer to WW2 then  than I am to my build now .  I never smoothed the ground up on mine... As it happened All Clear Klaxon went for End Ex from  SWMBO in law  !

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, BIG X said:

HELP - A quick question if I may ask about 'guns' - one guy has a Sten - another a Bren - but all the others have 'rifles' - can anyone tell me what rifles the British 11th armoured were likely to be using in late 1944 - so I can go and find some pictures as a guide for painting the right bits in the right colours.

Aye up Steve.

Been watching this from the sidelines. Fantastic job all round! As for the rifles.... They would be Lee Enfield No4. Loads of images on google. Colour of fhe woodwork varied from almost yellow to a nice rich brown colour often with a hint of red! It all depended where they were made i believe (UK, Canada, US etc) In 72nd scale i reackon a nice mid brown shade would do it 👍

Regards.

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up Steve.

Been watching this from the sidelines. Fantastic job all round! As for the rifles.... They would be Lee Enfield No4. Loads of images on google. Colour of fhe woodwork varied from almost yellow to a nice rich brown colour often with a hint of red! It all depended where they were made i believe (UK, Canada, US etc) In 72nd scale i reackon a nice mid brown shade would do it 👍

Regards.

Steve

Flippin' brilliant Steve - thanks a million for that - I will get googling - I have been having a look already and I know what you mean about the shades - mind you at 1/72 there is no rooom for 'woodgrain effects' - just a solid colour that looks 'woody'.

Whilst I've got you...

Previously all the little figures I've painted in vehicles have been wearing 'webbing' - but these guys have back packs and bed rolls too - any idea on the colour of these...

Same as the webbing - 'beigy'

same as the uniform 'dark earthy'

or maybe 'dark greeny'

Any opinions are most appreciated - I may as well try to get it right'ish :D

• Like 1