1/72 Pontoon Bridge +++ COMPLETED +++

The roadway didn't come out too bad either - before and after...

ponta070.jpg

ponta071.jpg

...admittedly not  up to the standards of a 'professional modeller' - but I hope I'm improving with each attempt - I'm quite pleased with this.

• Like 6

• BIG X changed the title to 1/72 Pontoon Bridge - More pages than parts now...

I've just noticed that this tiny little project has slipped onto page 13.  Now there were 13 parts in the kit and I didn't use 1 of them - thank goodness I'm not building one of those tanks with 1,200 parts :lol:

• Haha 4

I did a MKII version of the canal base - but it will need the glossy styrene top...

ponta072.jpg

...trust me it is 2 shades of green and black :D

• Like 6

Happy Saturday folks - just a quick reminder - to myself if no-one else...  7 weeks remaining in the GB - I better get a 'wriggle on' as I've still got my emergency set to use. 

The washes have dried and been wiped down - but it was too late last night to start making a noise with the compressor...

ponta073.jpg

ponta074.jpg

ponta075.jpg

One thing I did mark up was where I will need to paint the inside of the frame rebate - it will need to be black at either end of the canal section...

ponta076.jpg

• Like 4

Evening folks - I hope you have had a great day - whatever you have been doing.  I have been having a nightmare....

I have been struggling with various ideas for my canal water and nothing is working - ARRGGGHHHH

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

Evening folks - I hope you have had a great day - whatever you have been doing.  I have been having a nightmare....

I have been struggling with various ideas for my canal water and nothing is working - ARRGGGHHHH

why - whats happened??

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Lawzer said:

why - whats happened??

He He - just about everything mate - the clear styrene doesn't work as it keeps picking up dust at the drop of a hat - the underboards are all warping so the 'water' isn't flat - I've tried about 15 different rattle cans of varying shades of black / green and run out of all of them - nothing will gloss up either and nothing will dry - it might be the heat - but it's got me beaten.

I may have to 'park' this build again and it's a pity as I had some good things planned to 'dress the set'.

• Sad 3

1 minute ago, BIG X said:

I may have to 'park' this build again and it's a pity as I had some good things planned to 'dress the set'.

How about approaching the water from a different direction?

Instead of using a clear material, paint it a solid colour and use PVA to apply gentle ripples. As an example, here’s a canal created by a fantastic modeller called Gordon Gravett. 

5025994339_4a3ecec154_b.jpgPempoul, Reseau Breton Metre Gauge, Modelled to 1/50 scale by Man of Yorkshire, on Flickr

It is a painted surface, with PVA ripples, and it’s utterly convincing.

• Like 9

I've had luck with Tamiya clear colours, blue and green mostly. Dabbed on in a semi random fashion until it looks right.

Here's how it looks as a North Sea under my Dornier flying boat. Maybe worth a 'get out of jail' shot?

IMG_2357.jpg

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

Instead of using a clear material, paint it a solid colour and use PVA to apply gentle ripples. As an example, here’s a canal created by a fantastic modeller called Gordon Gravett. 

5025994339_4a3ecec154_b.jpgPempoul, Reseau Breton Metre Gauge, Modelled to 1/50 scale by Man of Yorkshire, on Flickr

Blimey! That gets my vote.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Heather Kay said:

Wow - that's stunning!! Thought it was a photo at first!

• Like 3

PVA glue or silicone bathroom sealant - I used this on my Dambuster Lancaster diorama, Sky 1 launch and North Sea Oil rig

DSC_2235.JPG

DSCF7714.JPG

DSC_6682.JPG

The oil rig example is most appropriate for this as it is more like still water rather than choppy waves or giant splashes :)

• Like 7

Thanks for the encouragement folks - now this is supposed to be fun so I'm not going too stress too much trying to achieve the 'perfection' of Gordon Gravett - bless him - I  wonder what he charges folk by the hour...

12 minutes ago, Kallisti said:

PVA glue or silicone bathroom sealant - I used this on my Dambuster Lancaster diorama, Sky 1 launch and North Sea Oil rig

DSC_2235.JPG

DSCF7714.JPG

DSC_6682.JPG

The oil rig example is most appropriate for this as it is more like still water rather than choppy waves or giant splashes :)

Kallisti - I've admired your work on many occasions - lovely stuff - but this was supposed to be a 'simple canal' - nothing as special as your fantastic work - just my first attempt at a water effect and I have seen those adverts - when the fun stops - stop.

I'm not too proud to admit I've failed on this one, I'm not enjoying it and it probably shows in this post, so I'm going to walk away and even sulk a bit - but I'll get over it.

There is lots more fun to be had - happy modelling - Steve

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

2 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Just caught up.....Stonking thread, smashing build!  :thumbsup:

Cheers Sgt - thanks for taking the time to have a look - unfortunately it has come to a bit of a dead end at present.  The 'water feature' has beaten me for the moment.  If you get chance you should have a look at my church in this GB - NOW THAT WAS FUN ;)

I have been watching @badger's latest build, along with you - now that is some lovely work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• BIG X changed the title to 1/72 Pontoon Bridge - sorry folks - it's a 'fail'
7 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I did start watching your church build, but then my P-47N took over my life.....I'm ignoring it for its own safety for a while and taking the chance to catch up.  ;)

I've been looking in on your jug - it's looking good to me.  How did the negotiations with Madame Squarehead go on moving the airbrush into the conservatory though...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BIG X said:

I'm not too proud to admit I've failed on this one, I'm not enjoying it and it probably shows in this post, so I'm going to walk away and even sulk a bit - but I'll get over it.

Chin up, Steve, there is no way you can apply the word 'fail' to anything you do after the awesome work you have produced so far in this GB. Respect your decision to walk away - but only for while, please! A change is as good as a rest, they say, so I'm sure your creative energies will be directed elsewhere, hopefully to keep us all delighted in the meantime. You come over as a real perfectionist (and we all have a bit of that vice) so all I can say is ..wouldn't it be a perfect conclusion to all your builds to carry through your original idea of displaying them all together? I am convinced that after a brief spell on 'Emergency', you'll crack the canal water and come up with a solution that shows off more of the excellent side walling. Bear up, Big X!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

She's provisionally accepted the idea, but then rather obstructed efforts to actually make it happen.....Still working on it.  ;)

They do that so well don't they - little minxes

• Haha 2

Hi Steve 

Chin up mate. It will work itself out. 

Just a thought even though you've been given some great advice thus far but have you considered using something like the woodland scenic water effects stuff. Or the resin equivalent? 

Pouring it onto the canal and allowing it to set won't matter how the under side is. That would be my solution but it can turn quite expensive and I'm not sure how far you want to go with it. 

Either way your work is great don't give up. Push on through. You're nearly there! 

I hope my little ramble is of use. 

Take care 

🐜

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Probably best to step back a while and hit it with a freshness ,usually works. I really hope you come back to it BIG X

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Antb said:

That would be my solution

Your solution , I do enjoy a good pun ! 😍

• Haha 3