1/72 Pontoon Bridge +++ COMPLETED +++

Milicast do a Bedford OYD but its all resin.

If you fancy something a bit easier, Oxford diecasts offer one that could be repainted?

https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/collections/bedford/products/bedford-oyd-15th-scottish-infantry-div-uk-1943-76bd023

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

Good afternoon folks.  I popped out to the garage this morning - I do wish it was linked to the house - so I could have gone in my pyjamas...

Last night it was still a bit damp in places...

ponta035.jpg

This morning though it has dried out - patience is a virtue after all...

ponta036.jpg

ponta037.jpg

ponta038.jpg

The black grit covered in the dark earth paint seems to have a greenish 'tinge' - like 'muddy grass'.  To help it along a bit I gave the whole thing a very light dusting of this can...

ponta039.jpg

...it's the weirdest Olive Drab I have ever seen - very 'green' - but I might as well use a bit.  Trust me it is VERY subtle though.

• Like 7

In other news I replaced my scalpel blade this morning and decided to test it...

ponta034.jpg

...boy it's sharp...  I sized the red line on the blade to the size of the hole in my leg and it went in right to the fixing pin - OUCH :yikes:

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

With the grit and dust all dried I had a play with some grass.  Rather than spraying the scenic cement on I carefully applied it with the combination of a brush and an eyedropper...

ponta040.jpg

I don't want to over do this so I have only put a light scatter on round the border of the church and in patchy areas elsewhere...

ponta041.jpg

ponta042.jpg

I'll check on it after tea - I'm expecting a fair bit to fall away and then I might need to do a bit of 'touching up'.  I must try to be patient though - it would be a pity to ruin it now.

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, BIG X said:

In other news I replaced my scalpel blade this morning and decided to test it...

ponta034.jpg

...boy it's sharp...  I sized the red line on the blade to the size of the hole in my leg and it went in right to the fixing pin - OUCH :yikes:

Ouch - that looks painful :cry:

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, badger said:

Ouch - that looks painful :cry:

Ooyah!

You know I'm pretty sure it says on those blades "non surgical" you know.....

Sorry shouldn't be so flippant.  We've all done it.  Mind you even I don't have any leg injuries though  ;)

Edited by Lawzer
  • Haha 1

After my escapade with the 'non surgical' Swann Morton blade I decided to put it to one side and try something 'less dangerous' - so I got my troops primed...

ponta033.jpg

If you like the look of the figures and haven't already tried them then here is a box shot...

ponta032.jpg

... you get 3 sprues - all identical - enough for 66 troops...

ponta031.jpg

They have dried now and I'm going to give them all a spray with dark earth - as the main uniform colour - see you in a bit. 

• Like 7

Good Morning and Happy Friday everyone.  If you have any modelling planned for the weekend GO FOR IT...

I've been playing all week and to be honest I don't know where the time as gone.  This diorama lark needs a lot of patience - whilst things set solid - which takes hours and hours and hours...

The patchy grass has dried overnight...

ponta044.jpg

ponta045.jpg

ponta046.jpg

Time to see what happens when the excess is shaken off...

ponta047.jpg

...as @Lawzer hinted - it is a bit like using GLITTER - do you remember making Christmas cards and decorations as a kid. 🎄

• Like 4

Time to 'bite the bullet and seal it with a gloss coat - I used this clear lacquer from Halfords on my windmill grass and it sets like concrete...

ponta051.jpg

...but it takes time to go off - so I'll have to twiddle my thumbs for a few more hours ⏲️

The gloss will also double up as a good base coat for washes on the road and the canal towpaths - but have I overdone it...

ponta052.jpg

ponta053.jpg

I'll go and check in a while to see how much has evaporated as it dries.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Looking great steve!

If you have time to kill you can always nip down to cheadle and dismantle some desks for me ;)

Are they good desks - would one fit in my garage...

• Haha 1

Whilst twiddling my thumbs I decided to have a little experiment.  So I cut a new piece of black card...

ponta054.jpg

splodged on some of that greenish olive drab...

ponta055.jpg

then some black over the top...

ponta056.jpg

then a gloss coat with that very shiny Halfords gloss lacquer...

ponta057.jpg

ponta058.jpg

ponta059.jpg

We will have to see how it dries - but it's looking pretty shiny at the moment.  It will be interesting to see how much the card bends in the process.

• Like 4

This is coming together nicely Steve, Having had the opportunity to ponder the River Roch (looking for fish not to jump in :winkgrin:) whilst out walking Molly this morning, I have to agree with Ventora that the colours for canal base will look quite effective.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

This is coming together nicely Steve, Having had the opportunity to ponder the River Roch (looking for fish not to jump in :winkgrin:) whilst out walking Molly this morning, I have to agree with Ventora that the colours for canal base will look quite effective.

Hi John,  Sadly - during the afternoon - the card 'ate' all the gloss - it literally 'absorbed' it all...

ponta060.jpg

ponta061.jpg

I guess I would have been better just priming a piece of white card / spraying it black and starting from there.  Not to worry - I have no shortage of cardboard.

So I brought the whole thing in from the garage for more 'delicate work'...

ponta062.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

Sorry to see that Steve, you need that good old Blue Peter standby. Yes you need some Sticky Backed Plastic. :D

DONT talk to me about 'sticky backed plastic' - I worked 19 years for a 'leading manufacturer of self adhesive lamination films' for the photographic / exhibition / art markets.  It was VERY high quality stuff - but I remember once my mum explaining to a friend...  'Our Stephen - oh he works for a 'sticky back plastic company' :lol:

It's amazing how your parents can 'ground' you with a simple comment :doh:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, BIG X said:

but I remember once my mum explaining to a friend...  'Our Stephen - oh he works for a 'sticky back plastic company' :lol:

Mums always know how to keep you in your place. :lol:

• Haha 5

I got the Flory washes out and considered loading the airbrush - but decided on a broad flat brush instead...

ponta063.jpg

ponta064.jpg

ponta065.jpg

ponta066.jpg

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

Mums always know how to keep you in your place. :lol:

ah - so you've met my mum...

• Haha 5

I used a mixture of 'dart dirt' and 'black' - here is an example on the towpath...

dried before wiping...

ponta067.jpg

...and a half wiped - before and after...

ponta068.jpg

The canal banks came out well too...

ponta069.jpg

it's a pity you'll only see the top 2mm or so...

• Like 9