1/72 Pontoon Bridge +++ COMPLETED +++

6 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Is the sun certainly over the yard arm then? 😆

oooooh yes - I certainly won't be touching any plastic tonight :D

• Haha 1

• BIG X changed the title to 1/72 Pontoon Bridge +++PLAN CHANGE+++

Good afternoon folks,

I have mainly been lying on the sofa all day - gazing at the ceiling and pondering my Pontoon - base - or diorama...

At about 3pm this afternoon it suddenly hit me :doh:I do have somewhere where I can put a 2ft x 3ft - yes 2ft x 3ft diorama base.  Having solved that problem I set to work on my diagrams and re-scaled everything...

pont938.jpg

I can fit the full church, including graveyard, on one side of the canal.  The beige areas are cobbled streets.  The black is obviously the canal with tiny beige retaining walls and grey 'tow-paths'.  There is a wide grassy verge on the church side of the canal and a field on the other side - with the windmill.  The green area at bottom left is a field - maybe with a broken wall and a staging area for some vehicles.

I  hope that all makes sense.

I need to make up a deep black frame at about 15mm deep and I'm going to use 3mm MDF for the base and then build up various levels with foamboard / card / balsa.  I need such a deep frame as the water level in the canal will be lowest.  The bit of green around the church will mean I can slot it in as a finished unit and the soft edge of the grass will help it look natural.

This is rather ambitious I know - but now I have somewhere to put it I feel more confident in 'having a go'.

I hope to start tomorrow - if I can get all the relevant materials - failing that it be Monday before I  could start.

More news as it happens...

Steve

• Like 12

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

Good afternoon folks,

I have mainly been lying on the sofa all day - gazing at the ceiling and pondering my Pontoon - base - or diorama...

At about 3pm this afternoon it suddenly hit me :doh:I do have somewhere where I can put a 2ft x 3ft - yes 2ft x 3ft diorama base.  Having solved that problem I set to work on my diagrams and re-scaled everything...

That's great news Steve, but what does SWMBO think about it being suspended from the ceiling. :wicked:

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

That's great news Steve, but what does SWMBO think about it being suspended from the ceiling. :wicked:

OMG - I did consider that - in one of my wilder moments.  But that would have been a 5ft x 10ft board - which I can lay my hands on.  Now I may be as mad as a hatter - but I'm not that mad yet - well not yet... :mental:

• Haha 4

• BIG X changed the title to 1/72 Pontoon Bridge +++PLAN C+++

I've 'chickened out' - so here is PLAN C...

pont939.jpg

...it's still 16 x 34 inches - but at least I will be able to fit it on my desk.  The 24 inch plan was a little too deep to work on properly in the confines of my work area - but as you can see I can still squeeze everything in.  I'm popping over to work this afternoon for a variety of boards and I'll knock up the frame too.  I hope to get it started tomorrow morning and that gives me 9 straight days to get it finished before I return to work.  I will need good weather at some points - as I will need to do some rattle canning outdoors.

Mrs X has already been giving me some 'sideways' looks - you know the drill...

Mrs X - 'What are you up to now'

Big X - 'Oh nothing really'

Mrs X - 'What is the tape measure for'

Big X - 'Oh nothing important'

Mrs X 'Why are you going into work if your on holiday'

Big X - 'Oh I just need to pick a couple of things up'

Mrs X - 'You could pick up some wine if your going out'

Big X - 'That's a good idea - I know you like a glass on a Friday afternoon'

...phew I think I'm getting away with it - for now...

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

15 minutes ago, BIG X said:

I've 'chickened out' - so here is PLAN C...

...it's still 16 x 34 inches - but at least I will be able to fit it on my desk.  The 24 inch plan was a little too deep to work on properly in the confines of my work area - but as you can see I can still squeeze everything in.  I'm popping over to work this afternoon for a variety of boards and I'll knock up the frame too.  I hope to get it started tomorrow morning and that gives me 9 straight days to get it finished before I return to work.  I will need good weather at some points - as I will need to do some rattle canning outdoors.

Mrs X has already been giving me some 'sideways' looks - you know the drill...

Mrs X - 'What are you up to now'

Big X - 'Oh nothing really'

Mrs X - 'What is the tape measure for'

Big X - 'Oh nothing important'

Mrs X 'Why are you going into work if your on holiday'

Big X - 'Oh I just need to pick a couple of things up'

Mrs X - 'You could pick up some wine if your going out'

Big X - 'That's a good idea - I know you like a glass on a Friday afternoon'

...phew I think I'm getting away with it - for now...

Now that sounds like permission to proceed to me! 🤣

Still going to be a fair size.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think this is more compact - the previous plan had too much empty space that you'd have to fill with 'something' and would end up distracting from the focus of the diorama. This keeps the focus on the main components, however you will now need to source some vehicles and figures to populate the landscape - and some animals for background interest :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Plan C looks good but I think the composition would be improved by angling everything so the bridge and river aren't parallel to the edges of the display.  It should make the scene feel more dynamic, even if only slightly off square.

Look forward to seeing how the combination works through.

Cheers

Will

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kallisti said:

I think this is more compact - the previous plan had too much empty space that you'd have to fill with 'something' and would end up distracting from the focus of the diorama. This keeps the focus on the main components, however you will now need to source some vehicles and figures to populate the landscape - and some animals for background interest :D

I am happy to go with YOUR idea - phew - I think I got away with it...  I've got plenty of vehicles from my on-going 11th armoured division project...

1 hour ago, Gorby said:

You may laugh - you mischievous little beggar....   But the 11th armoured division did encounter AND have a battle with....   A CIRCUS....  NO JOKE - I will try to find the relevant info... 

YES! Polar Bears, Penguins,  Kangaroos and Gorillas - what could possibly go wrong????

I have an old saying that I quote at work in meeting all the time - because I'm old - 'Be careful what you wish for - because you might just get it' ;)

52 minutes ago, malpaso said:

Plan C looks good but I think the composition would be improved by angling everything so the bridge and river aren't parallel to the edges of the display.  It should make the scene feel more dynamic, even if only slightly off square.

Look forward to seeing how the combination works through.

Cheers

Will

Bugga - I've made the frame and cut the styrene for the canal now :doh: I did consider a 45 degree angle for the water way and agree it would look good - but with the relatively narrow 16 inch depth I simply couldn't fit it in and still make it 'traversable' for my tanks.

STAY WITH ME LADS - I NEED THE SUPPORT :D

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

YES! Polar Bears, Penguins,  Kangaroos and Gorillas - what could possibly go wrong????

Wait !!! When did @BIG X decide to add a zoo to the diorama ? Im confused 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Wait !!! When did @BIG X decide to add a zoo to the diorama ? Im confused 🤔

Keep up Dennis!

Nothing confusing about zoo animals in nazi uniforms.

(Did I forget to mention the uniforms?)

• Haha 6

This is going to be something else mate! 

Permission from the boss, a circus or a zoo, plenty of wine... What a great mix. 🤣

• Haha 4

I'm almost scared to read any posts after this one......😆

The bears may not be so mad - wasn't there a unit who had a bear as a mascot and was promoted so he could be taken back to the uk after the war?  Although I think it was a wee brown bear and not a polar bear........

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

OK - @Kallisti @Corsairfoxfouruncle @Antb @Gorby @Lawzer - You tormenting bunch of tinkers...

May I present the evidence for the defence....

The 'evidence' for the British 11th armoured division 'fighting' a circus is firstly noted here...

pont940.jpg

This 'evidence' is taken from my copy of TAURUS PURSUANT - which is the original account of their campaign - written by themselves and published in 1946 - and as such is beyond contestation....  oh fancy words....

pont941.jpg

If you can get a copy then I would heartily recommend it - I got mine off amazon - there is no such thing as a 'new copy' - just the originals - which were distributed to the men and the families of the 11th armoured - HEROES.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Your honour - to add to my case for the British Army declaring war on a circus - may I present exhibit B and C...

pont942.jpg

pont943.jpg

...I think they call it the 'fog of war' - hopefully none of us will ever live to experience anything as 'bizarre' as this...

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

• BIG X changed the title to 1/72 Pontoon Bridge +OPERATION CARDBOARD+

You just couldn't make this stuff up could you. 

Midgets and fat women.... unbelievable. 

The wife's got some red and white striped material spare if you fancy making a circus tent.... no pressure. Of course 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 4