1/72 Pontoon Bridge +++ COMPLETED +++

Whilst the internet was down I built frames for the signs...

PONT925.jpg

PONT926.jpg

They are too tall at present, but the 60 degree angle is right - so I can cut them down later, along with the bridge disc poles - once I have a diorama sorted.  This is some way off though - as I need to build my other entries first. 

• Like 9

Now I like them in white - but as I had not internet most of the afternoon I decided to pain them - primer first...

PONT927.jpg

Then some 'wood' and some staining...

PONT928.jpg

Then a bit of cleaning up - not sure if I  like the result though...

PONT929.jpg

Maybe it will grow on me - I wonder if I could 'white wash' them by dry brushing :shrug:

• Like 10

Now as this bridge was built by the 10th Bridging troop - see below - bottom of column 4...

PONT930.jpg

...and most of the bridges pictured earlier show divisional emblems and arms of service badges - I thought it best to logo the signs up for them...

PONT931.jpg

PONT932.jpg

PONT934.jpg

So - I think I have reached as far as I can go for now...

...oh - don't worry about the lip of the bridge - it will be sunk into the dirt by the side of the canal - when I finally get there.

• Like 16

This just keeps getting better!

Fantastic attention to detail - I'd have missed the unit signs on the bridge sign.

From what was a very humble starting point this has turned into a fantastically good build!

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just had a thought (I know - dangerous!), if you are wanting to build a canal bank then it might be worth trying to get hold of some pink or blue builders insulation foam as this can be easily cut, carved and sanded to shape before being covered in a skin of polyfilla.

Far easier than using expanded polystyrene as I used to many years ago.

All the best

Ben

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, badger said:

Just had a thought (I know - dangerous!), if you are wanting to build a canal bank then it might be worth trying to get hold of some pink or blue builders insulation foam as this can be easily cut, carved and sanded to shape before being covered in a skin of polyfilla.

Far easier than using expanded polystyrene as I used to many years ago.

All the best

Ben

Duly noted - it's still very much at the 'imagining stage'.  I am having all kinds of weird and wonderful ideas - you watch though - it will end up looking really boring now I've said that... :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BIG X said:

It will end up looking really boring now I've said that... :lol:

'Boring' in a Big X build - I highly doubt it! :cwl:

• Haha 1

PONT935.jpg

This thread has now been legally 'parked'.

There will be further progress in a few weeks time...

...if you need to contact the driver he is off building a church here...

Thanks for looking in and see you back here in a few weeks - Steve

• Like 7

I once worked with an ex-RE who was missing a bit of forefinger on each hand. 'Well, we were assembling a Bailey Bridge and I didn't have a tool to check if this bolt hole was clear and it shifted..... ' and the other hand?  'Well, the next year, I had to use my left hand ....'  was this the military health and safety referred to earlier?

• Sad 4

23 minutes ago, Teuchter said:

I once worked with an ex-RE who was missing a bit of forefinger on each hand. 'Well, we were assembling a Bailey Bridge and I didn't have a tool to check if this bolt hole was clear and it shifted..... ' and the other hand?  'Well, the next year, I had to use my left hand ....'  was this the military health and safety referred to earlier?

Ooyah! :(

• Haha 1

I used to know a guy who lad lost almost all his fingers in an industrial bread slicer of all things - famous comment from Mrs X 'he would never get a job as a milkman would he' - it took me an hour to get the joke - then LMAO...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have a quick question - if I may...

I am hoping to have my pontoon slung across a canal.  My problem is - I have never done 'water' and the few YouTube videos I have seen seem to involve a real liquid - which sets solid.  That would permanently trap my bridge - which I'm not keen on happening.  Does anyone have any bright ideas...

Thanks in advance - Steve 

7 minutes ago, BIG X said:

I have a quick question - if I may...

I am hoping to have my pontoon slung across a canal.  My problem is - I have never done 'water' and the few YouTube videos I have seen seem to involve a real liquid - which sets solid.  That would permanently trap my bridge - which I'm not keen on happening.  Does anyone have any bright ideas...

Thanks in advance - Steve 

Would any of the techniques that the model ship builders use to represent seascapes be a possible alternative ?

• Like 1

Just now, Richard E said:

Would any of the techniques that the model ship builders use to represent seascapes be a possible alternative ?

Hey Richard - It's a good point - but they all seem to involve moving water and bough waves / wakes etc.  My canal would be 'fairly' still.  There certainly wouldn't be 'flowing' water - maybe just a few 'ripples'.

When I built my Bailey bridge dio a few years ago I used a resin stuff that flowed when it was heated up and set hard when it was cool. Its called Woodland Scenics EZ water and you can see it in use here in my bridge dio from good lord 4 years ago!!!

DSC_1449.JPG&key=5b76ebec61d60d9a4f3f243

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Kallisti said:

When I built my Bailey bridge dio a few years ago I used a resin stuff that flowed when it was heated up and set hard when it was cool. Its called Woodland Scenics EZ water and you can see it in use here in my bridge dio from good lord 4 years ago!!!

DSC_1449.JPG&key=5b76ebec61d60d9a4f3f243

...that is RATHER IMPRESSIVE - what scale is it...

1:35 its the Bronco Bailey Bridge - well about 1/3rd of it, plus the Tamiya Cromwell, Tamiya BSA Motorbike plus some Figures from Tamiya British Infantry, and a French Farmer figure from a MiniArt British Paratroopers set along with pigs and piglets from the Tamiya animals set

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kallisti said:

1:35 its the Bronco Bailey Bridge - well about 1/3rd of it, plus the Tamiya Cromwell, Tamiya BSA Motorbike plus some Figures from Tamiya British Infantry, and a French Farmer figure from a MiniArt British Paratroopers set along with pigs and piglets from the Tamiya animals set

Well - it's simply BRILLIANT!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Good evening folks,

Today has been a 'lovely day' in more ways than one.  I got my windmill finished, @Antb posted his superb Spitfire in the gallery and someone else passed me a brilliant bit of news.  The sun is shining, I'm on holiday and all is well with the world.  Well almost... ;)

I got into a discussion this morning about this bridge project and as I'm now at a loose end I thought it was a good time to come back and finish it.  So as you may remember I left it with a special 'parking' permit...

PONT935.jpg

...well I got back to it tonight and it's only been 'clamped'...

PONT936.jpg

...and they want 100 quid to release it - it's madness :mental:

As you can tell I'm in something of a 'jolly' mood - happy modelling folks :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6