1/72 Pontoon Bridge +++ COMPLETED +++

Brilliant work Steve

You keep finding more interesting things to add to this.

The stripy poles are a touch of genius! The bridge name is really rather believable - be surprised if it wasn't actually used to be honest.

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

@badger Thanks Ben - It really is proving to be a lot of fun - all the reference photos are providing loads of 'crazy ideas' which I simply can't resist.

Keep the fun in your heart - Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, badger said:

Brilliant work Steve

You keep finding more interesting things to add to this.

The stripy poles are a touch of genius! The bridge name is really rather believable - be surprised if it wasn't actually used to be honest.

All the best

Ben

I nearly called it BULLY BRIDGE - after Jim Bowen and Bully...

article-0-006165B200000258-143_468x516.j

,,,are you old enough to remember...

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, BIG X said:

@badger Thanks Ben - It really is proving to be a lot of fun - all the reference photos are providing loads of 'crazy ideas' which I simply can't resist.

Keep the fun in your heart - Steve

Very true - that's why I love original photos!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ratch said:

Channel 46 Sunday nights

...look at what you could have won...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, BIG X said:

I nearly called it BULLY BRIDGE - after Jim Bowen and Bully...

article-0-006165B200000258-143_468x516.j

,,,are you old enough to remember...

Indeed - Saturday night after corned beef butties, golden wonder salt & vinegar crisps, tinned fruit cocktail (or blancmange) and a wedge of home made fruit cake!

All washed down with fizzy tizer!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BIG X said:

...look at what you could have won...

Which was invariably a speedboat for a couple that lived in Sheffield or a Metro car!

1 minute ago, Ratch said:

BFH

Took me a few moments to remember that one!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, badger said:

Indeed - Saturday night after corned beef butties, golden wonder salt & vinegar crisps, tinned fruit cocktail (or blancmange) and a wedge of home made fruit cake!

All washed down with fizzy tizer!

I do hope you had TIP TOP spray on cream or at the very least Carnation evaporated milk on that tinned fruit cocktail

11 minutes ago, BIG X said:

I do hope you had TIP TOP spray on cream or at the very least Carnation evaporated milk on that tinned fruit cocktail

Yes I did! Carnation evap - there's a blast from the past! 

• Haha 1

That is a good looking bridge. I know it's a bit late to mention this but many ( many ) years ago, I needed a small scale chain. As there was ( still isn't ) a hobby shop within 300 miles of here and no Internet back then, I went to a store that sold cheap costume jewellery. I looked around a found a cheap pendant on a thin chain. I turfed the pendant in the parking lot and brought the chain home. I still have it in the spares. It's not too big for 1/72, especially if you need a fairly heavy chain.

28783227668_42cdb7485c_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's amazing how that cartoony kit is become so realistic!

One way to get thread to, well, thread, is to put a drop of CA on the end then cut an angular tip into the now-stiff thread--instant needle. For straightening wire, knot one end around a pin, put the pin in a vise, suspend a weight on the other end, and let the weight hang for a day. Choose a weight sufficient to get a little plastic deformation (stretch) in the wire.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dogsbody said:

That is a good looking bridge. I know it's a bit late to mention this but many ( many ) years ago, I needed a small scale chain. As there was ( still isn't ) a hobby shop within 300 miles of here and no Internet back then, I went to a store that sold cheap costume jewellery. I looked around a found a cheap pendant on a thin chain. I turfed the pendant in the parking lot and brought the chain home. I still have it in the spares. It's not too big for 1/72, especially if you need a fairly heavy chain.

28783227668_42cdb7485c_b.jpg

Chris

6 hours ago, dnl42 said:

It's amazing how that cartoony kit is become so realistic!

One way to get thread to, well, thread, is to put a drop of CA on the end then cut an angular tip into the now-stiff thread--instant needle. For straightening wire, knot one end around a pin, put the pin in a vise, suspend a weight on the other end, and let the weight hang for a day. Choose a weight sufficient to get a little plastic deformation (stretch) in the wire.

Top tips guys and very appreciated.  The chain sections aren't glued in - the needles they are attached to are just pushed into the holes I made on the pontoons.  So I will be 'keeping an eye out' for finer chain - if I happen to see any - it's a 'work in progress' after all.

• Like 2

Time for a quick update - not a lot of progress though...

The bridge name decals got taped to a bit of paper - so the didn't blow around in the spray booth...

PONT920.jpg

Then they got a really thick coat of Humbrol spray can gloss...

PONT921.jpg

...now it looks like my internet is playing up - so hopefully more shortly...

• Like 2

As an aside to the naming of Pegasus Bridge my late father was part of the 51st Highland Division that crossed it a few days after D-day.  He told me that the division had the reputation of being 'highway decorators' by putting their divisional sign on everything including bridges in 'their' area that didn't move, as well as some things that did. This included the Orne canal bridge (Pegasus bridge) but only until they were ordered, from very high up, to let the 6th Airborne to put the name Pegasus back  on the bridge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm definitely having tinterweb problems - however - after a couple of hours tidying up the office and doing a bit of modelling - whilst waiting for the Canadian Grand Prix to start - I will have ANOTHER GO - at trying to update the build...

After the decals had dried I got them onto the 'V' Groove sheeting...

PONT922.jpg

PONT923.jpg

I used microsol and microset - but I don't even know if that's right with 'print your own' decal paper - but what harm could it do.

I finished off with more gloss varnish from the bottle this time...

PONT924.jpg

Whilst the net has been down I have got more done - but as this post has taken 20 minutes to complete - I'll try and post it and then update further.

Thank you for your patience 🙂

• Like 4

i probably would have been posting earlier, anyway keeping up the Bullseye theme.

in one.

i took this picture on a visit to Pegasus bridge, it show the positions and names across the Orne canal.

image.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Aye up Steve.

Another greatly entertaining and enjoyable build. :popcorn:

On 6/8/2018 at 12:06 AM, badger said:

Yes I did! Carnation evap - there's a blast from the past! 

My dad always used to have a slice of bread and butter with his tinned fruit and Carnation! :eat:

Regards 

Steve 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

i probably would have been posting earlier, anyway keeping up the Bullseye theme.

in one.

i took this picture on a visit to Pegasus bridge, it show the positions and names across the Orne canal.

image.jpg

Thanks Ozzy - that is brilliant - it even confirms all my ramblings when I was trying to think of a name.  Bridges named after bridges / after stations etc.  I notice Monty there too - I nearly went for that - pity about my internet problems though - I do have more to show - but keep getting thrown out every few seconds...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

Thanks Ozzy - that is brilliant - it even confirms all my ramblings when I was trying to think of a name.  Bridges named after bridges / after stations etc.  I notice Monty there too - I nearly went for that - pity about my internet problems though - I do have more to show - but keep getting thrown out every few seconds...

My plesiosaur,  I had seen pictures of bridges with names next to them also. But I think they were deeper in land, I took the picture to spur me on with my bronco bridge.

• Like 1