1/72 Pontoon Bridge +++ COMPLETED +++

Going back to the SLR - I'd like to think the Airfix one couldn't be mistaken for a real one, what with it being 2/3 the size - I remember being quite surprised when I saw one.

Don't recall the barrel breaking on mine, although dad had to replace the butt with a wooden one when that broke....

Can you still get the little caps?

IanJ

• Like 2

I am following this with the greatest of interest as this will be the first time seeing one of these actually built and painted from the first to the last.

Shaun

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, the South African said:

I am following this with the greatest of interest as this will be the first time seeing one of these actually built and painted from the first to the last.

Shaun

...no one actually said I had to finish it - you've put the pressure on me now...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, the South African said:

Naaaah "no" pressure bud😁😁

worrying that - how did you know I was drinking a Budweiser...

• Haha 1

Just time for a very quick update, whilst Madame X is preparing tea.  I have just done a quick 'pin line wash' of some of the planking...

PONT450.jpg 

...as you can hopefully see I have used 'GRIME' - rather than 'BLACK' to fill the gaps between the planks.  Another sloping section and the main span to do - then it will be on with the chequer plate after tea...

• Like 9

Quick 'before and after'...

PONT460.jpg

I've started with a bit of light 'staining' with more 'GRIME' - I think it looks OK.  It dries quite quickly, but I'm popping them in the spray booth to help gently 'evaporate' the excess.

PONT470.jpg

The side spans aren't glued on yet - just balancing for 'effect'.

PONT480.jpg

...slowly - but surely - I'm going to seal this staining with a quick coat of varnish - then hopefully do a 'sandy / dusty' wash later.

Back in a bit...  Oh thanks for looking in by the way :happy: Steve

• Like 13

I've not been idle for the last hour or so - sat 'watching varnish dry' - I've been busy...

PONT500.jpg

Boy these 'stanchions' are flimsy and my finest drill bit has 'popped' a few of the holes - as I attempted to make sure they were 'clean'.  I've lost at least 12 - but luckily I have plenty of spares.

I'm starting to get them in place now - making sure the holes line up is eye testing to say the least...

PONT510.jpg

• Like 9

Well that was fun...

PONT520.jpg

...46 little nerve wracking moments...

PONT530.jpg

I used CA as I find the plastic becomes much 'harder' and I  don't want these snapping or bending - but you only get 'moments' to orientate the stanchion in the right direction.

• Like 7

I have noticed one of the 'slopes' is actually badly bent out of shape - I hadn't noticed it before - but it just doesn't sit straight.

PONT540.jpg

Speaking simply - it's warped to beggary...:doh:

I don't want to glue it to the main span, as I'm unsure what angle it will be at - when I hopefully build a 'diorama' for it.  Also - it may pull everything else out of shape.

I have a cunning plan though...

• Like 6

Right - I'm hoping this works and I'm going to leave it to set overnight...

PONT544.jpg

That is a piece of clear 2mm acrylic or 'perspex' - VERY HARD and VERY FLAT.  It has literally no 'give' and I'm hoping it will pull the slope flat and keep it that way.  A quick test before 'lathering' it in glue showed you won't see it from above or even from the side.  I nearly took my eye out whilst scoring and then snapping it to size though - lesson learned...

score...

...wedge in the edge of the desk drawer...

...snap...

much safer than just bending it against the end of the desk :mental:

See you in the morning folks - Steve

• Like 8

Steve, you are really bringing this 'simple' kit to life with all the additions and work you are putting in - fantastic, mate!

I am enjoying it immensely.

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I nipped home at lunchtime today for a quick 'tinker'...

PONT550.jpg

I'm quite pleased with the 'dusty / sandy' weathering and I've now glued the side spans on permanently.

I've also 'carefully' measured the distance between the pontoons and glued them in place too.  I think this closer spacing across one span looks more realistic and would stand a sporting chance of taking a 30 ton Sherman.  👷‍♂️

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Well it's that time of the evening.  In from work / quick shower / change into my 'scruffs' / SWMBO working wonders in the kitchen - so time for a quick tinker at the bench before tea.

'Proper Progress'...

PONT560.jpg

...can you see what I've done...

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, shatters said:

Can I spot some rope handrails ?

Phil

Well that's a relief - at least someone thinks it looks like rope :lol:

I went out to Hobbycraft this morning and bought some very snazzy 0.5mm braded wire - for jewellery making.  To me it looks just like rope - but even at only 0.5mm it is way too thick to go through those holes.  I messed around with cotton and Usci thread - but threading through the holes was almost impossible.  The stanchions came with a fine metal wire - which fits - but it was all bent and was as wavy as beggary when running across the span.  In the end I found some straight 1amp fuse wire I had in the 'bits box'.

PONT580.jpg

PONT570.jpg

...it's a bit 'shiny' - so I'm going to have to give it lick of paint - back soon...

• Like 8

I've found a 'ropey' paint colour...

PONT600.jpg

PONT620.jpg

...not a tricky to paint as I thought - I just dipped a fine brush in a blob of paint and then 'stroked' it across the top and underside of the wire.  Well pretty neat for me anyway.

• Like 3

That 'slab' of perspex worked to straighten up the warped slope...

PONT610.jpg

so STAGE 1 of this project is almost complete...

PONT630.jpg

• Like 16

Excellent progress there mate!

Rope handrails look most convincing and really add to the effect.

Liking this a lot!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In all the exitement of getting the 'ropes' on I almost forgot the 'chains'...

PONT640.jpg

PONT650.jpg

PONT660.jpg

PONT670.jpg

...again they're a bit 'shiny' - but they aren't glued in - just pushed into place to test the effect.

• Like 8

Tried some black primer...

PONT680.jpg

Then a bit more...

PONT690.jpg

then some Burnt Metal...

PONT700.jpg

before and after as they say...

PONT710.jpg

• Like 10